Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #2716
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondtear
Hi All. I'm not much of a gearhead, but I need to swap out my rear sprocket. I'll likely stick with the standard size. I found this list: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/1-all...xr400+sprocket

Any concerns about any of these manufacturers? Any recommendations for one over another?

Just get one made of steel. They last longer than aluminum.
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #2717
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112
My '98 XR currently has a K&N installed (PO). I keep reading where some FFs say that K&Ns are good for the street but bad for the dirt. Any truth to that or is this just like which oil is better?
This year I was going to prerun the Baja 500 with some buddies on a Pro 50 team and I took my '99 XR4 but was concerned about my K&N air filter. So I researched a lot of recent opinions and switched to this:
-Twin Air foam filter - I looked around to find the kit that comes with a plastic support frame, most common is just to sell the foam filter itself.
-Twin Air Bio or NoToil oil and put the filter in a baggie and work it. Both of these are water based biodegradable.. Fantastic new solution!

Sure I've used gasoline for 40 years too but that is no reason to not see a good change when it comes along! Hell you can clean them in the sink in your hotel bathroom on a trip and it is totally safe.

I also use Oxyclean in warm water for the cleaner and not the filter name brands. Some guys put a little bit of Dawn dish soap in it as well.

I also use prefilter "socks" from PC Racing, and just took it off when dirty and that extended the filter life before cleaning.

One thing I really don't like is how the filter fits into the compartment - it is really difficult to tell if it is properly seated on the back side.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #2718
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to know when a K&N is clean. And when it is dry. I just don't trust anything I am not sure about regarding oil and filters. Go Twin Air foam.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #2719
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
My '98 XR currently has a K&N installed (PO). I keep reading where some FFs say that K&Ns are good for the street but bad for the dirt. Any truth to that or is this just like which oil is better?

The K&N works great unless you put too much oil on it. Then its like the choke is on. They make a prefilter for it that is a fine mesh bag with elastic to hold it over the filter. It gets a lot of the dirt and you take it off shake it out and put it back on. It keeps the filter from getting dirty so you don't have to clean it so often.
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #2720
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestonearth
I believe the greatest, most reliable, most enjoyable bike on the planet!!
Total agreement! Have had three and will never be without one. D/S all mine. Have more advanced MX'rs and street stuff but would give them all up. Not my XR4. Nope.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #2721
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Quote:
I ran a K&N on my 96 the whole time I raced it in many dusty Hairscrambles I did run the prefilter as well. I never once had a problem with it... cleaned it about every 5 rides or before a big race. depending on the dust I was in.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #2722
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
I'm picking a basket case 98 XR4 this weekend. anyone got a set of wheels,spokes,hubs. cheep... I think I'm going to do the Electric start convershion on it as well.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #2723
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
someone local should get this..

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...962630220.html

(i already got one)
Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #2724
domi007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Talking foot pegs

Is Can use the foot pegs honda crf 450 years 2002 In the my bike xr 400

1997 ????

What is the best to use??? ims pro series

tanks for reply spawn_x

domi007 screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 04:40 AM
domi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #2725
alexlimpg
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Head shake problem

Hi!
Anyone out there can advise what can I do to reduce or eliminate head shake problem for my '99 XR4? No problem at 90km/h on the road, the shaking comes at 100km/h and above. No problem when I was using road tires, it only happen now as I had just change to off road tires.

Will tighening the steering help? hopefully can resolve this problem without having to install any stabliser. :)

Alex
alexlimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #2726
megad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlimpg
Hi!
Anyone out there can advise what can I do to reduce or eliminate head shake problem for my '99 XR4? No problem at 90km/h on the road, the shaking comes at 100km/h and above. No problem when I was using road tires, it only happen now as I had just change to off road tires.

Will tighening the steering help? hopefully can resolve this problem without having to install any stabliser. :)

Alex
raise the front end by moving the forks in the triple clamp, or lower the rear if you can, depends on where your at with your sag, assuming you setup the static/race sag already
megad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #2727
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by megad
raise the front end by moving the forks in the triple clamp, or lower the rear if you can, depends on where your at with your sag, assuming you setup the static/race sag already
+1

As little as a few mm on either end can fix it. A stabilizer won't stop it, but it keeps it small.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #2728
alexlimpg
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
+1

As little as a few mm on either end can fix it. A stabilizer won't stop it, but it keeps it small.
Thank u. Will try all the above. :)
alexlimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #2729
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
weird noises in my XR400

I need your help guys. I'm traveling currently with my rally prepped street legal 2001 XR400. As of this evening I've logged 2091 miles with 2600 miles left to go. I'm in Coos Bay OR tonight and will be riding on into Nor-Cal and on to Reno NV over the next 4 days.

About 6 days ago I began to notice an odd valve train noise that would come on after at least a half hour at 55-65mph. The noise sounded like water flowing through a small hole, or kind of a high pitch hissing noise. I took the time to check and reset the valve lash clearances but the odd noise is still there after the engine has had time to really warm up. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

I have noticed no power loss but being this far from home any odd noises makes me all that much more paranoid. I've religiously change the oil and filter every 1000 miles or so and haven't seen any tell tale metal fragments or burnt oil. It almost sounds like the cam bearings are getting noisy but when I pulled the top end cover off, a lot of oil leaked out and the bearings looked fine with no signs of potential failure. So if the top end is getting plenty of oil why would a cam bearing fail on a very low mileage XR400?

Honestly I'm stumped and until I get to Reno in 4 days I can't really break into it to investigate further. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

To quantify, I'm running a stock engine with airbox mods, pipe baffle removed, stock carb with 162 main/62 pilot jets, a cooler plug for high speed operation, 16/42 gearing and its running about 6000 rpm at 63 mph in 5th gear. I've kept it under 65 mph over the last 2000 miles but I've been running sustained 55+ for several hundred miles at a time.

Thanks for your help guys. Talk soon Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #2730
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
UK Winter Riding

Thought in the spirit of the thread I would upload this of XR400. Taken whilst riding in Essex during winter of 09. The ford was too deep for me to cross so I ended up riding over a footbridge to the other side!

Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote