Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #301
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siinthai
Hey AJ,
Nice to find someone this side of the world...
Any good suppliers in Sing for air filters etc ? Could be down there in next week or two for a meeting.
Might be worth while to look down there....

The Supertrapp came with bike so haven't felt anything else.
Std Air filter..looks like shit but no parts here.
Good that you had somre fun up here...you gotta get up to Chiang Mai and Pai area on the Mae Hon Son loop...the best roads around....screaming out for motard riding.
i wish i could...but work commitments and unable to take long leave so that could just be next time,next time... some friends over the AT-asia might have done that place..

Airfilters for TwinAir cost SGD$28.if K&N i think should be around SGD$70.what jettings are you running on your stock carb?i used to ran 165/65 on my previous XR...not so bad...i don't really fancy supertrapps...i think if you can find the older model XR400R stock exhaust is yet better off your stocker muffler...you may want to take down my no. when you dropby around here...i could bring you to shops for the stuff you need...how's that?
you need anything used for the XR,i can help you try source out in the local forum garage sales...you might wanna register yourself there and can share any ideas or ride reports or simply and bullcrap under the kopitiam chat.
http://main.slackriders.com/Forums.html

+6591520309
AJ
cheers.
my magic moment on the XR

KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]

AJ.. screwed with this post 05-01-2008 at 06:58 AM
AJ.. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #302
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,052
What's a set of wheels for an XR400 worth, with rotors and sprocket?

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells

skwidd screwed with this post 05-01-2008 at 05:43 PM
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #303
Siinthai
ODAAT

Oddometer: 58
Are you selling ?
I'm inyterested but need to ship to Thailand if price is right.
Siinthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #304
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd
What's a set of wheels for an XR400 worth, with rotors and sprocket?
Not sure but I got a set for my XR650L minus the rear rotor & srrocket with original tires @ 12oo miles on em for 300 bucks.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #305
Freddiev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
440 big bore kit installed

I have a 96 XR 400. I rebuild the top end and put in a 440 kit and a stage two cam. It has increased the compression. I can kick it over but I can not get it started using the kick starter. Luckly I have a steep driveway and the only way I can get it started is to bump started it. I have not even hear a burp from the thing when I try to kick start it. What am I doing wrong. I am running the stock carb with 62 pilot and 165 main jet.The compression has increased quite a bit. Iam 160 LBS so maybe I cant kick it hard enought.It has always been a hard bike to start even before i redid the motor. I had to remove the decompressor when I installed the cam so it is alot harder to prime.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please tell me. I have not stalled it on the road yet but if I do Iam in big trouble.

Please help
Freddiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #306
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I've never started a xr with a 440 kit, but my 400 has always started easy. The only thing I really do is kick hard. I don't try to find TDC or prime it. If I kick it hard, it starts. The same goes with my XR250. Just work on kicking harder. That seems to make the difference.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #307
Komito
back in the saddle

Oddometer: 782
Xr400

Just saw this thread, looks like it'll be fun. I just did some work on the bike tonight to prepare for my ride on Sunday, I'll take some pics and post them then.

Hayduke, was is your carb set-up at? Do you change it on the trail if you are going higher?

Komito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #308
Komito
back in the saddle

Carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
The one I sold to Komito had an 11.5:1 Wiseco (stock bore size) and it didn't feel noticeably harder to kick.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had a 426 or 440 kit in hers if it pulls hard up top.
Would the carb have anything to do with this? While mine is not hard to kick over, when cold its hard to start....

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #309
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komito
Hayduke, was is your carb set-up at? Do you change it on the trail if you are going higher?

I'm not really sure. There is a note from the PO that says 143 main and 51 pilot, but I'm not sure if that is what is in there right now... it runs so good, I've been reluctant to dig into it just to see. I've ridden it at Moab (what's the elevation there? 4,000' ?) and up to around 10,000 ft. so far and it has been good everywhere. The PO lived at 9,300' and rode up from his house most of the time, so I'm sure it's pretty lean.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #310
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,665
Quote:
Would the carb have anything to do with this? While mine is not hard to kick over, when cold its hard to start....

I think being hard to start cold is a trait with the 400.... I didn't look forward to an early morning cold start on it at all. Once warm, first kick every time.

The guy I bought it from assured me he had it jetted for altitude - his average riding was around 9,000 ft. Mine (yours now) ran great from the bottom of Copper Canyon to the top, and over Medano Pass and other places at altitude. The cold start thing was it's only bad trait.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #311
Komito
back in the saddle

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
I think being hard to start cold is a trait with the 400.... I didn't look forward to an early morning cold start on it at all. Once warm, first kick every time.

The guy I bought it from assured me he had it jetted for altitude - his average riding was around 9,000 ft. Mine (yours now) ran great from the bottom of Copper Canyon to the top, and over Medano Pass and other places at altitude. The cold start thing was it's only bad trait.

Good to know on the carb for our XR, in my response I was replying to someone earlier, I think Jinny's XR whose doesn't start quite right, or maybe it was Plaznmudd, I can't remember now, I answered off the top of my thoughts, which is mostly what I seem to only be able to get done these days.... Looking forward to starting this.

Duke, do you have the repair/maintenance manual? Playznmudd sent me a copy that I can forward to you. It talks about checking oil levels and why not to use the throttle just before checking it (ie, let the bike start, sit 5-10min, then turn off and check, don't rev it at all). It also talks about some repair and maintence work, like changing the oil every 1000 miles Most dirt bike owners are changing every couple hundred if that or every couple of rides. This says go 30 days riding or 1000+ miles before doing it, great!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #312
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,698
Quote:
It also talks about some repair and maintence work, like changing the oil every 1000 miles Most dirt bike owners are changing every couple hundred if that or every couple of rides. This says go 30 days riding or 1000+ miles before doing it, great!
Really? I've been changing every 15 hours or so. The PO said he changed it every ride. 1000 miles sounds great, although I've been riding it pretty hard- wringing it's neck alot. I'll probably keep changing it often.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #313
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Not sure how I missed this thread until now, but I got my XR400R back in August and I'm loving it!

Compared to the VStrom, this thing is light as a feather and super capable. I've run trails up by Red River and dual sported it out in East Texas.

Next up: Big Bend next week!
I just picked up a nice new-to-me 1997 XR400R from spdtrpl here on ADV. Got it last week and have put about 100 miles on it already. What a great bike, indeed.

It's already plated, but only has an enduro kit on it. I have purchased a Baja Designs dual-sport kit and will soon have LED turns signals, tail and brake lights and a PIAA 80W headight. In order to handle the extra load, I also purchased a Ricky Stator dual-output 200W stator. Each output is rated at 100W. One will feed the dual-sport kit and have a rectifier and small battery to run the tail/brake/turns/horn with DC power. The other output will feed the headlight hi/lo, which will remain on AC power. This should work out better for me than the current setup, as I'll probably have a higher mix of road than the prior owner. With that in mind, I've also purchased a set of Connie TKC80's to get myself to something DOT-approved. I can't wait!
diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #314
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2race
The only special trick I have is getting it laoded up on the trailer to get it to the mechanic. I'm kinda challaged in the mechanical dept. But the ultimate result is one kick and go
I did spring for this as well. It seems to have done the trick too--I'm starting on the first or second kick every time now.
diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #315
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1959
I just picked up a nice new-to-me 1997 XR400R from spdtrpl here on ADV. Got it last week and have put about 100 miles on it already. What a great bike, indeed.

It's already plated, but only has an enduro kit on it. I have purchased a Baja Designs dual-sport kit and will soon have LED turns signals, tail and brake lights and a PIAA 80W headight. In order to handle the extra load, I also purchased a Ricky Stator dual-output 200W stator. Each output is rated at 100W. One will feed the dual-sport kit and have a rectifier and small battery to run the tail/brake/turns/horn with DC power. The other output will feed the headlight hi/lo, which will remain on AC power. This should work out better for me than the current setup, as I'll probably have a higher mix of road than the prior owner. With that in mind, I've also purchased a set of Connie TKC80's to get myself to something DOT-approved. I can't wait!
Maybe you post a step by step on your upgrades. I'm ready for some similar upgrades and it would be a great help to see what the process is

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote