Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #3316
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS18 View Post
Hi, how is everyone...got a problem on the bike....nice sunny day here in england thought would take the bike for a long ride, however 20 mins into riding it, i realised that the rear brake pads are constatntly touching the disc even though the brakes arent on...any solutions please help

thanksssss :) GS18
Many issues can jam up the pistons in the caliper to keep them from retracting. dirt and rust on the guide pin...dirt and crap around the piston as it comes out of the caliper...these are easy to get at...and common when the bike sits over the winter....so go after that first....then a nastier issue is if the brake fluid is old, water seeped into it( brake fluid is hygroscopic....it LIKES water...will suck it out of the air)....if your reservoir is low, and fluid is brown...that's bad....needs to be a real light straw color....like light ale....the piston can cock in the bore and rust and crap from the fluid jams it

mine did this last winter....a good cleaning ...inside and out did the job....and being careful, I had to buy nothing other than a fresh unopened jug of brake fluid...Here it''s called DOT 3 or DOT 4....get the one with the highest WET BOILING temp you can get
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #3317
GS18
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Many issues can jam up the pistons in the caliper to keep them from retracting. dirt and rust on the guide pin...dirt and crap around the piston as it comes out of the caliper...these are easy to get at...and common when the bike sits over the winter....so go after that first....then a nastier issue is if the brake fluid is old, water seeped into it( brake fluid is hygroscopic....it LIKES water...will suck it out of the air)....if your reservoir is low, and fluid is brown...that's bad....needs to be a real light straw color....like light ale....the piston can cock in the bore and rust and crap from the fluid jams it

mine did this last winter....a good cleaning ...inside and out did the job....and being careful, I had to buy nothing other than a fresh unopened jug of brake fluid...Here it''s called DOT 3 or DOT 4....get the one with the highest WET BOILING temp you can get

Thanks alot :) The bike was my dads, who is no longer around... this was the only bike we used to ride...could you advise me steps at how to clean the guide pin ?? Would really appreciate it thanks alott

GS18
GS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #3318
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,342
after much deliberating, and refusal to pay $35 to have a small piece of aluminum shipped to my house, i decided to make my own.

started with a 1/8" thick piece of alum, started cutting, grinding, and LOT's of sanding, but i'm pretty happy with the outcome so far..

i have yet to try it and see if it works. in the process of fabricating i of course, filled the carb with all sorts of fillings and crap. i'm going to take it completely apart, clean it, then start off fresh. once clean i will stick it back in real quick, to a system check, then if things are Ok, then i will pull the carb again, loc-tite this shit out of the bolts and pinch the exposed threads to ensure it never comes back out. if it doesn't work, then i guess i'm back to step 1....

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #3319
GS18
n00b

Oddometer: 8
The brake pads are only slightly touching the disc, the whell still spins freely and is easy to move the bike ????
GS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #3320
kp207
n00b

Oddometer: 3
laramie LC4, I went through the same process. (10 bucks to ship a piece of aluminum) I ended up reducing the 2 larger holes to one single small hole in the choke plate. I didn't feel the choke plate was doing enough with the bigger holes and I felt it defeated the purpose of the choke. Here is a link on TT about my choke plate trials
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ht=choke+plate

After using it now for a couple of months i am very happy with the result of my second attempt. It works exactly as it should and I have gotten the cold weather starts down to 1-3 kicks now. (warmed up 1 kick)
kp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #3321
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

thanks for the input Kp.

i was also thinking about the size of the holes in the plate, thinking they may be a bit big. i really don't have to worry about cold weather around here so it may not be a big deal. my only real concern at this point is that it's still a bit thick. overall i would say that i have reduced the "overall" draft of the piece from stock, but it's still thick. i just finally ran out of steam and finger tips sanding it down. the good thing is though, it's smooooooottttthhhhhh as a baby's butt.

i have the carb in pieces right now and should have it back in today for a test run.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #3322
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToyz View Post
Anyone recommend a mech to do fork tuning in the Denver area? Just want to put in springs and do the shim mod.

thx
Post this in the Rockies
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #3323
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,170
+1 on all of the below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
Maybe check with Woody's Wheel Works since you mentioned you are in Denver. I know that a lot of the Rockies crew swears by them for wheel magic. Might wind up being cheaper than buying a new wheel?

Also, Hitchcock suspension is supposed to be fantastic for Denver area suspension work.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #3324
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbrad511 View Post
My name radbrad511. I very much like XR400R of Honda. I now live in So. of Cal. San Clemente and I do ride. In my home country I win many speed bike races, now long ago. Now I like to ride slower bike more fast than fast bike riders! XR400R very good for this, even stock mostly. Anyone more from the 'OC' like to ride this little bike more fast please respond here for planning fun rides. See you motorbiking all damn day!
Haha, raaaad brad. Hey man, you're a freakin kook. You can ride my XR if that's what you're asking.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #3325
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 975
would I be crazy?

to ride a XR400 from the Mexican border to Costa Rica. I have a home in Costa Rica and want to ride a bike down and leave it there. I know it would be a perfect bike once in CR but would the bike handle the trip? I'm 5'8" and travel pretty light. I see a very nice on on flea market and it has a 5.8 gallon tank as well.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #3326
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
to ride a XR400 from the Mexican border to Costa Rica. I have a home in Costa Rica and want to ride a bike down and leave it there. I know it would be a perfect bike once in CR but would the bike handle the trip? I'm 5'8" and travel pretty light. I see a very nice on on flea market and it has a 5.8 gallon tank as well.
As long as the bike is in good shape, I don't see why not. Gear it right, get the suspension set up for you, and make sure it's reliable. Probably look into a new seat foam though, at least I would. My new seat from CEET is too damned stiff, kills me if I ride more than a couple hundred miles.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #3327
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post

No no no no no - and no - I would not do it if I were you - you need a professional to do it - the journey will be hot an sunny with too much nice scenery for a normal person to mentality take in - you need years of practice to not fly off the road because of some aw inspiring vista or long stretches of muddy highway - If you really need somebody, I can see if I can drive it down for you - it will cost you - I don't come cheap - and I would have to talk to the boss and the other boss .

don't think - get on the bike and drive it - yeah it's not going to go 90 down the road - but with where you'll be driving it, you'll spend most of your time looking around in 2nd gear
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #3328
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

well, i took some advice and started all over on the choke plate. the one i made was just to fat, it was simply over-kill. so i started over with a much thinner piece of aluminum and lickity-split, i had one made.

i have to say that honda's design in this department was seriously lacking. if you look at the stock plate and how it sit's in the carb with the choke OFF. the flap on the choke plate is hanging open, restricting and disrupting flow. i would have to say that by doing this simple mod, you increase flow considerably, smooth and reduce disruption, both of which lead to better performance.

when i got the carb in, i fired the bike up with the normal amount of effort, warmed it up, tuned the idle and fuel/air screw, and she purred like normal. don't know why anyone with ANY skill would pay $35 for one of these. you gotta be nuts. this took me 20 mins to make.

while i had the carb out, it got a complete strip and cleaning, which it needed. so now that it was warmed and tuned, i took it for a quick spin. it sure seemed to be a little more peppy than usual. i admit i hardly got on the throttle, but it seemed to run smooth and respond really well. i will know for sure next time i take it out, maybe next week?

keep ya posted,

laramie

Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #3329
brixr400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

when i got the carb in, i fired the bike up with the normal amount of effort, warmed it up, tuned the idle and fuel/air screw, and she purred like normal. don't know why anyone with ANY skill would pay $35 for one of these. you gotta be nuts. this took me 20 mins to make.

Ok... but it's RED, everyone knows that bikes with red anodized components goes faster
Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #3330
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,362
thats the only reason I bought one, because it was red!

If I had a thin piece of aluminum layin around, I would have made one too..beer can aluminum is a wee bit too thin I think..great job on your part tho

I did install a #65 pilot jet and I still think it's too small..so I took and reamed out my old stock #62 jet to abt a 68 or 70...I havent installed it yet but when I do, maybe today, I'll keep y'all advised
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote