Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #3436
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
can someone fill me in on the pumper carb? Is it really that much better than the stocker?
I guess it all depends - I can fire my mike up in a couple of kicks from dead cold, sitting a couple of weeks, and likewise after laying it down with gas puking out after dropping it on a trail. It's got enough power for me, and I've gotten used to that little low throttle bog, don't even notice it any more. The big thing I like about the stocker carb is that it's much more fuel efficient than the Mikuni.

I'm just a trail rider though, pretty non-aggressive. I leave the aggression for the range
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #3437
Davidjohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Jetting

Need some recommendations on jets and carb adjustments for Colorado mountain riding. The bike is jetted for sea level now, but I need a good mountain combination. The bike is stock other than being uncorked. I will be riding between 6-12K feet. What do you all recommend for jets and settings?

Thanks

David
Davidjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #3438
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjohnson View Post
Need some recommendations on jets and carb adjustments for Colorado mountain riding. The bike is jetted for sea level now, but I need a good mountain combination. The bike is stock other than being uncorked. I will be riding between 6-12K feet. What do you all recommend for jets and settings?

Thanks

David
what year???
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #3439
Davidjohnson
Adventurer

The bike is a '98. Has an XR250 exhaust insert, snorkel removed and, uni filter.

David
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #3440
westbh
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Rev-Loc Dyna Ring

Anyone fired one up yet? Am pondering pulling the trigger.
westbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #3441
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I assume you mean an impact wrench? That won't help much as the main culprits are the swingarm bearings. When you turn the bolt they will just turn freely with it. Turning the bolt does help free it from the engine cases.

Impact -in the form of a big hammer- is your best starting point.

To drill it out you will need to go in around 3 inches on either side to get past the swingarm bearings.
Thanks LUKE....now I understand the REAL failure mode!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #3442
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I sure would like to know how you boys find almost new XR400's....my 96 is developing issues.

The swing arm bolt seems to be rusted in place.. The ugly task of repairing has been documented here. Mine is laying on it's left side and I go out and shoot penetrating oil in the pocket where the swing arm nut was....oil seems to disappear quickly....but no puddles anywhere of it coming out. Gonna continue this for a week. (Riding the KLR in the mean time). Maybe hit it with the impact after some more soaking. Soooo...questions are....the swing arm bolt is not threaded into the RH side if the frame...right?...just a slip fit..right? Also, it would seem that if necessary, since the SA bolt is hollow, by drilling successively larger bits, you could drill away both ends of the bolt, and the SA might possibly fall out...right?

I turned the bolt back and forth with a 4' pipe on a breaker bar with a 6 sided socket till it would finally spin all the way around. Then used a large hardware store bolt as a punch to hammer it out. (hold the punch with vise gripes.) The swing arm bolt gets ridges worn into it on different sides in different locations, so if your hammering and it won't move or stops moving turn it a little and try again. I was swinging a big sledge thinking I was going to miss and wreck the bike and it never budged. Came back a day latter and drove it out with a mallet by hitting and spinning it. Try using penetrating oil between the engine and swing arm too. When you put it back together waterproof grease the entire bolt. It works better than never seize IMHO. Hope this helps. Good luck.
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #3443
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shred View Post
I turned the bolt back and forth with a 4' pipe on a breaker bar with a 6 sided socket till it would finally spin all the way around. Then used a large hardware store bolt as a punch to hammer it out. (hold the punch with vise gripes.) The swing arm bolt gets ridges worn into it on different sides in different locations, so if your hammering and it won't move or stops moving turn it a little and try again. I was swinging a big sledge thinking I was going to miss and wreck the bike and it never budged. Came back a day latter and drove it out with a mallet by hitting and spinning it. Try using penetrating oil between the engine and swing arm too. When you put it back together waterproof grease the entire bolt. It works better than never seize IMHO. Hope this helps. Good luck.
THANKS!! I may be able to beat this after all!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #3444
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbh View Post
I was never an autoclutch kinda guy but I got in on a group buy and there's a Dynaring sitting on the bench for my 300XCW that I haven't installed yet. I did get to ride a KTM525 (before and after a dynaring install) and it totally transformed the bike for woods riding. Everything is ridden a gear higher, less gyro effect from the lower RPMs, I was much smoother and as a result, faster with the autoclutch on that bike.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #3445
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 496
A dyna ring is really on my short list of mods. I would be buying it for the "no stall" feature. It would help with having to kick start on the side of a hill. There is some info on TT to read. It shares some pros and cons. Overall, it sounds like a good buy from what I have read. Im wondering weather it will hold up to abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbh View Post
farrington300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #3446
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrington300 View Post
A dyna ring is really on my short list of mods. I would be buying it for the "no stall" feature. It would help with having to kick start on the side of a hill. There is some info on TT to read. It shares some pros and cons. Overall, it sounds like a good buy from what I have read. Im wondering weather it will hold up to abuse.
My Revloc Christmas box arrived last night, hope to install it this week.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #3447
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,708
a buddy of mine has a revlock on his XR650..takes some gettin use to..he loves it..me, not so much..but thats cause I am not use to it..am old school..I hear they are in the process, if they havent already, made a unit that will allow you to bump start..that was the only draw back I saw..sometimes a bump start is needed!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #3448
Davidjohnson
Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks

David
Any suggestions? The bike is a '98 model and has been uncorked, but stock otherwise.

thx
Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #3449
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I have some questions about carb tuning

My carb is in dire need of gaskets, and I want to make sure the jets are right, as I had an overheating problem recently (maybe too lean?). I have no idea what is in there now. What jets should I start with while trying to tune it?

- '99
- uni air filter (bike came with k&N)
- no snorkel
- seems to be stock header with FMF Megamax muffler
- sea level

Any other information I need to find out?
Any things I need to order other than the gaskets and jets?
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #3450
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
a buddy of mine has a revlock on his XR650..takes some gettin use to..he loves it..me, not so much..but thats cause I am not use to it..am old school..I hear they are in the process, if they havent already, made a unit that will allow you to bump start..that was the only draw back I saw..sometimes a bump start is needed!
The dynaring allows you to bump start on bikes with a hydrolic clutch depending on which setup is used. I don't care for the method they use though (pressurizing the Master cyl res)
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote