Oddometer: 31,791
might rethink that fender bag..it will block air flow to the oil cooler
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #3512
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 916
Thumb New (to me) XR400R - UK

Been thru' a few dirt/trail bikes over the years and although I'm not usually a Honda fan, I do appreciate their Engineering talents when linked with off-road bikes.......... So having had a '92 XR250 a couple of years back and an '82 XL500R last year, I was on the lookout for an XR400R......

Luckily for me this little beauty turned up fairly local to me and I was all over it like a rash.... A scruffy, but sound 1999 model.

Its got a few goody's - nice alloy sump plate, Renthals, heated grips, tool tube, grippy seat, FMF pipe, air box mod & jetted to suit, Acerbis guards, etc. It came with std seat & sump guard, 9 x oil filters, hand book & Haynes, spare calipers, head races, new s/s braided brake hose, plastic protection bits

I'm well pleased, it rides real nice, plenty of grunt and the motor is sweet as... It wasn't ALL roses though, had to replace the rear sprocket (was a 48/15) with a 44t and just did the front wheel bearings & seals which were shot
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #3513
racedawg
Have bike will travel

Oddometer: 259
XR pipe

just posted this pipe in flea mkt if anyone is in the need...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698349
09 KTM 950 SE
-----------
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #3514
Davidjohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Jetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjohnson View Post
Thanks Trailryder42. I am puzzled as to the 145 currently in the bike. I need to get this figured out!
Trailryder,

Do you know what the difference is between the PDK 1A carb used on 96-97 models and the PDK1C used on 98 on up? I know the stock jetting is significantly leaner on the 1C (which is what I have), but are there other differences that you know of. My 98 model is jetted now with a 147 (stock is 142), not sure about the pilot or clip, but this baby hooks up good. No bog or flat spots to speak of. It runs so good I am scared to mess with going up to a 160/60. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems a lot of people that run their bikes rich, have hesitations and bogs they can't get rid of. I may just leave it as is with the 147 and just jack with the fuel screw once at Taylor Park.

Just trying to understand why the big delta between the pre 98 162/62 jetting and the post 97 142/52 jetting. I am thinking it may have something to do with the carbs?

David
Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #3515
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
ok so i thought i'd give you guys a peek at the new (to me)toy here's a few shots of the 97 i picked up

its got a lot of goodies already on when i bought it,emig trips,big gun system,resprung and revalved carbon fiber guards on forks,pumper carb,hi comp piston,frame guards xr's only chain guard,sproket cover with case saver skid plate

i've added endurance and dash acrebis head and tail lights still have to get turnsignals

Beta Techno

huckleberry screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 05:47 AM
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #3516
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

for somereason i can't post more than 1 pic
Beta Techno
Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #3517
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Beta Techno
Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #3518
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Beta Techno
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #3519
Abominable
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
XR400 Spark Plug Wrench Improv.

Guys, just thought I'd post a tip. On a number of forums people often complain about not being able to find a spark plug wrench that fits the XR400 (and a number of other tight welled 18mm plug bikes). Well I didn't want to wait to order a tool from motion pro or honda, so here is an "okay" solution. Just go to any local hardware store and buy a 3 dollar item called a chain saw tool. Typically these are a small T handle tool with a flat head screwdriver, 19mm and 10mm sockect ends. You'll want the pressed style, which are very thin walled. Just cut or snap the screwdriver end off an put the 19mm end in a vice. A little turn on the vice and one of the 19mm dimensions will be down to 18mm. Worked great for me this time, but I'll keep me eyes open for a proper tool once the bike is complete. Sorry about the photo quality
Attached Images

Abominable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #3520
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
*cliff notes. Clutch would not disengage, replace all clutch components and still seems to be dragging. Not sure what to check next

I think I am having some clutch issues. And hoping someone could advise me.

Ever since I have owned the bike, (about 2 years) When ever it got warm and up to temp it would be very hard to find neutral with the bike running. If I turned the bike off, it would drop into neutral fine.

Then recently I swapped my stock bars out for some Solex bars with CRF bend
spec Width:802mm Height:99mm Sweep:54mm So not much different than stock. Everything swapped fine. I only had a chance to ride the bike about .5 miles and it had been sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks. I went to move it one day while it was in gear, I grabbed the clutch lever and it would not release. I pulled everything apart to inspect it, and the steel plates appeared to be a little burnt so I figured just replace it all , with springs while I was in there. I also got a new cable while I was at it.

I put the new clutch in, and had a hard time getting the stock length cable to fit properly, I cant seem to get an play in the lever. I re-routed the cable a little bit and was able to get some play at the lever but the clutch still seems to be dragging. I am at a loss on what to look at and solve my issue. The clutch basket is not groved at all either

Any advice?
AMCJEEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #3521
Abominable
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCJEEP View Post
*cliff notes. Clutch would not disengage, replace all clutch components and still seems to be dragging. Not sure what to check next

I think I am having some clutch issues. And hoping someone could advise me.

Ever since I have owned the bike, (about 2 years) When ever it got warm and up to temp it would be very hard to find neutral with the bike running. If I turned the bike off, it would drop into neutral fine.

Then recently I swapped my stock bars out for some Solex bars with CRF bend
spec Width:802mm Height:99mm Sweep:54mm So not much different than stock. Everything swapped fine. I only had a chance to ride the bike about .5 miles and it had been sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks. I went to move it one day while it was in gear, I grabbed the clutch lever and it would not release. I pulled everything apart to inspect it, and the steel plates appeared to be a little burnt so I figured just replace it all , with springs while I was in there. I also got a new cable while I was at it.

I put the new clutch in, and had a hard time getting the stock length cable to fit properly, I cant seem to get an play in the lever. I re-routed the cable a little bit and was able to get some play at the lever but the clutch still seems to be dragging. I am at a loss on what to look at and solve my issue. The clutch basket is not groved at all either

Any advice?
Have to checked to see if the spindle that engages the lifter arm is in good condition and rotates freely in the cases?
Abominable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #3522
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominable View Post
Have to checked to see if the spindle that engages the lifter arm is in good condition and rotates freely in the cases?

Yes. But this was also at 1 am when I was looking at it. I plan on pulling it back apart tonight to double check everything. It is quick and easy to pull so I might as well double check
AMCJEEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #3523
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

double check your cable end by the case it can hooked in the grove instead of the hole effectively shortening the cable 1/4" or so
Beta Techno
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #3524
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
for somereason i can't post more than 1 pic
i don't know that id be covering up my oil cooler like that. just a thought....

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #3525
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
You'll can get some clutch drag on a completely cold motor. (as you explained with putting in it gear and it would release when cold, its not too uncommon)

JensEskildsen screwed with this post 06-25-2011 at 01:45 PM
JensEskildsen is online now   Reply With Quote