Oddometer: 5,367
The XR4 in Moab

Chicken Corners
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #3812
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
It sure sounds like dirt in the carburetor that gets pulled into the main jet to make it go lean, or into the slow jet. First thing I would do is remove the cap on the bottom of the float bowl.But make sure the petcock on the tank is shut off, and you have a cold engine and plenty of rags to soak up the gasoline that will run out when you take off the cap. I'll bet there will be a lot of fine dirt in the cap. If there is, then a thorough cleaning of the tank and the petcock is required.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #3813
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Here's my California plated 96 in the most recent pic I have of her:

Not many mods, just a Mikuni Pumper, normal Gordon's stuff, Acerbis Cyclops headlight, Trailtech Voyager spedo, 200w stator converted to DC, re-did the wiring harness, and of course all the street legal stuff which I basically did myself. I've got some CRF450 forks/triple clamps ready to go as soon as I have the cash to get a CRF front wheel and the $100 bearing kit to make the swap.

Wallrat screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 08:44 AM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #3814
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkarieh View Post
Yes. I was thinking that it may be that and now i know.
Im having a bigger problem now.
Im taking it to my mechanic thursday but anyway what do you think?

thanks
I think the real problems don't usually start until AFTER you've taken it to a mechanic.

I'd do like ED suggests and remove the carb float bowl, clean out both jets. Pull the fuel screw too. It's that brass screw at the front of the carb pointing down. Clean out that passage. Be sure to account for all the parts when it comes out. Screw, spring, washer and o-ring.

If the gas itself is suspect, dump it and get fresh. Are you running an inline fuel filter? If so, make sure it's of the sintered metal type only. Not the cardboard or paper element type.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #3815
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Trailtech Voyager spedo,.
How do you like that? I wish they had that model when I bought mine.
AMCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #3816
dazkarieh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
I think the real problems don't usually start until AFTER you've taken it to a mechanic.

I'd do like ED suggests and remove the carb float bowl, clean out both jets. Pull the fuel screw too. It's that brass screw at the front of the carb pointing down. Clean out that passage. Be sure to account for all the parts when it comes out. Screw,....

Im a complete null at mechanics.. that would not of work for me. i would just destroy everything lol

I hear a lot of this mikuni pumper carb. what exactly are those? what do you gain on your bike? speed? explosion?
dazkarieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #3817
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Im a complete null at mechanics.. that would not of work for me. i would just destroy everything lol

I hear a lot of this mikuni pumper carb. what exactly are those? what do you gain on your bike? speed? explosion?
I think you should just take it on into your mechanic then and tell him if he needs any help/advice, have HIM post here because it's apparently a waste of time to try to explain anything to you.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #3818
dazkarieh
Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
I think you should just take it on into your mechanic then and tell him if he needs any help/advice, have HIM post here because it's apparently a waste of time to try to explain anything to you.
Any reason for you to be such an idiot?

I'v just asked what you think may be the problem. Maybe someone here had this issue already. I didnt ask you what was the procedure for cleaning a carb. I dont care for that and i dont have to. I even said in my post that i was already taking the bike to the mechanic and your answer for me is the procedure for solving a problem that i dont even know if i have??

Thanks a lot for your input on this. I really dont need it.

Thank you.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #3819
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Ha whoops, I said Voyager but meant Vapor. Voyager looks nice but I've already got 4 GPS's laying around so seems silly to get another.

Daz I don't really agree with the tone Trailryder responded to you with but in terms of difficulty, cleaning a carb on an XR4 is about on par with washing a compact car. By far the hardest part is getting the throttle cables off/back on. Start to finish you're looking at about 90 minutes for a complete mechanical noob, or about 30 minutes with experience. Only tools needed are a couple screwdrivers, some needle-nose pliers, and maybe an 8mm socket or wrench. Since gas these days is such crap, you're more than likely going to have to clean the carb again within a year or two, so might as well learn now. I'd wager a shop will charge you $50-$100 each time it gets gummed up.

A pumper carb is a really nice upgrade to any XR4. Takes maybe an hour or so to install and has quite a few benefits. Starting becomes retardly easy and there are significant power gains in the mid-range. Plus while I haven't tested it, supposedly they're less prone to jetting issues caused by elevation changes. Only real drawback is the price: http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-par...m-honda-xr400r
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #3820
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olexa View Post
From AX-1 is plastic only. I think to find it in ebay is too easy.
A connecting plate is hand made:

you made that - - much respect

are they 90mm lights ? or are they the lights that came on the AX-1 ?
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #3821
GsGrins
does his own stunts

Oddometer: 236
different bike, different view, same Moab

GsGrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #3822
warnerduke
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question XR250R Electrical help

I have a 98' XR250R that is street legal. I want to make it more street legal by adding a horn and Hi/Low beam headlight. Currently the only electrical modification is for the hydraulic rear brake switch and a 2 filament build for the taillight.
Questions:
1) I want to upgrade to a hi/low beam headlight--Do I need to upgrade the stator or is the current statot good enough?
2) Can I just add a DC horn? I know it will operate at half power.
3) If I want to go crazy and upgrade to an LED Tail light and/or tailight how big of a battery and rectifier do I need to add? Where does it go? I was thinking maybe in the air intake box to keep it dry (providing it was small).

*I've been looking at electrical parts on http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm Anyone have experience with there products?

I use my bike for commuting and riding forest service roads. Thanks
warnerduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #3823
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any reason for you to be such an idiot?
Yes, actually. To get a rise out of you. Frustrating isn't it? Kind of like reading a post about a guy having a problem/needing advice about his bike, being willing to help in detail, only to have the guy practically call himself inept and throw in the towel without even considering trying to learn to fix the problem himself.

I can't tell you how many horror stories there are around here about guys pawning off problems with their bike to some "'mechanic'", saying "here, fix it". And if by some miracle they do, without getting raped in the process, the owner didn't learn a damned thing about his bike. It's like paying money to be treated like a mushroom, fed bullsh*t and kept in the dark.

I don't want that for you or anybody.

You're apparently intuitive enough to know there's a problem. Doesn't it follow then, that you're intuitive enough to learn at least the most basic wrenching requirements of your bike? Which your current problem seems to be. Just because you're "null at mechanics" is no reason to write yourself off.

Sure, everyone has different levels of competency, knowledge, mechanical skill and times when a more professional source needs to be consulted. But I think everyone here believes that one should have at least basic mechanical skills and knowledge of their bikes workings.

What are you going to do when you're out riding somewhere, miles from your vehicle or home and your bike quits, over something rediculously simple to diagnose and fix? , All because you believe you're "null at mechanics" and that will keep you from being able to understand the workings of your bike and rectifying problems.

Last words:

I think the money you would pay a mechanic is better off spent buying yourself a set of tools and learning to fix simple problems like this yourself. There are thousands of people here and elsewhere around the net that would help you step by step. Hell, how do you think half the people around here got to be the excellent do-it-yourself mechanics they are today?

Apologies for my harsh sounding previous post. It was meant to wake you up. And this subsequent post to maybe make you believe you're not as "null" as you might think. I mean, for Petes sake, you know how to work a freakin' computer! lol
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #3824
Olexa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
you made that - - much respect

are they 90mm lights ? or are they the lights that came on the AX-1 ?
Thanks :) Native AX-1 lights is approx 90mm. But they is too blinds (30w bulbs). I use additional lights for cars, approx 60mm with 55w H3 halogen bulbs. Therefore I have to make adapter
Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #3825
dazkarieh
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, actually. To get a rise out of you. Frustrating isn't it? Kind of like reading a post about a guy having a problem/needing advice about his bike, being willing to help in detail, only to have the guy practically call himself inept and throw in the towel without even considering trying to learn to fix the problem himself.

I can't tell you how many horror stories there are around here about guys pawning off problems with their bike to some "'mechanic'", saying "here, fix it". And if by some miracle they do, without getting raped in the process, the owner didn't learn a damned thing about his bike. It's like paying money to be treated like a mushroom, fed bullsh*t and kept in the dark.

I don't want that for you or anybody.

You're apparently intuitive enough to know there's a problem. Doesn't it follow then, that you're intuitive enough to learn at least the most basic wrenching requirements of your bike? Which your current problem seems to be. Just because you're "null at mechanics" is no reason to write yourself off.

Sure, everyone has different levels of competency, knowledge, mechanical skill and times when a more professional source needs to be consulted. But I think everyone here believes that one should have at least basic mechanical skills and knowledge of their bikes workings.

What are you going to do when you're out riding somewhere, miles from your vehicle or home and your bike quits, over something rediculously simple to diagnose and fix? , All because you believe you're "null at mechanics" and that will keep you from being able to understand the workings of your bike and rectifying problems.

Last words:

I think the money you would pay a mechanic is better off spent buying yourself a set of tools and learning to fix simple problems like this yourself. There are thousands of people here and elsewhere around the net that would help you step by step. Hell, how do you think half the people around here got to be the excellent do-it-yourself mechanics they are today?

Apologies for my harsh sounding previous post. It was meant to wake you up. And this subsequent post to maybe make you believe you're not as "null" as you might think. I mean, for Petes sake, you know how to work a freakin' computer! lol

Still. You dont know me. Dont know anything about me. Dont know anything about the situation. You dont know that the bike its in something of a warranty. I will not pay anything. You dont know that i know my mechanic for years and he is not the faulty type. If im lost in the woods and the bike doesent work and if i cant call the tow truck, wich is also free, then il try to tamper with it. But you still dont know if i had the bike in a shed up hill with no electric ligth. No tools. You dont know if i have money for tools. You dont know nothing. So next time be quiet and think before you speak. For me this ends here.