Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #3871
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,441
That fork oil definitely needs to be replaced.
Factory honda is sometimes "interesting" after time

I'd go ahead and take out, lube, and inspect most of your major pivot bolts and such as well.
But it's an XR4 so change the oil, add gas and go ride it
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #3872
PCK_4xCustoms
lost

Oddometer: 261
With valve clearance "a little tight at .006" I'm confused, the book specs clearance to be Ex: 0.004 and IN:0.005

Also, what should the tip of the adjuster screws look like? I try to adjust mine to spec but depending on the rotation of the screw it changes cause it seems to be peaked across one plane.

If this is wrong what is the part number so I can replace them?
PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #3873
Entropic86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK_4xCustoms View Post
With valve clearance "a little tight at .006" I'm confused, the book specs clearance to be Ex: 0.004 and IN:0.005

Also, what should the tip of the adjuster screws look like? I try to adjust mine to spec but depending on the rotation of the screw it changes cause it seems to be peaked across one plane.

.06mm was the tight clearance before I did the adjustment. That's what happens when we have two systems of measure....stupid people get confused.

If one of the adjuster screws is completely off, you might be 360 degrees off on the crankshaft. There are 4 strokes, you might be at TDC of the exhuast stroke. Taking the spark plug out makes it much easier to find.

Don't start it if you're unsure of your work.
Entropic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #3874
Entropic86
Adventurer

all the rocker arms should have a little slack (.012mm) in them when you are the the correct TDC.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #3875
pirate37
Adventurer

Sweet

Looks like a sweet machine. Seems they are either very well used or not at all such as this one. As suggested already you will only need to grease the swingarm linkages and the headset bearings probably once a year if you use it regularly, air filter and oil are somewhat more obvious. Happy XRing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic86 View Post
I've been looking for an XR400 for a little while and was about to settle for something that was well used when this popped up for almost the same price. 1997, with less than 5 miles. It is practically a museum piece. It was bought as a gift and never used. What do you think?

pirate37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #3876
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
I've been looking for an XR400 for a little while and was about to settle for something that was well used when this popped up for almost the same price. 1997, with less than 5 miles. It is practically a museum piece. It was bought as a gift and never used. What do you think?

That bike is beautiful. Almost to good too use!
GSXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #3877
nw scout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
From our 200 plus mile ride on Sunday

Loving this bike more and more. Just need a softer seat for long rides like this.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #3878
PCK_4xCustoms
lost

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
.06mm was the tight clearance before I did the adjustment. That's what happens when we have two systems of measure....stupid people get confused.

If one of the adjuster screws is completely off, you might be 360 degrees off on the crankshaft. There are 4 strokes, you might be at TDC of the exhuast stroke. Taking the spark plug out makes it much easier to find.

Don't start it if you're unsure of your work.
Not sure if insulting or what but I'll let it slide. I was working in inches and misinterpreted as we're backwards here and have to do things differently.

Quote:
all the rocker arms should have a little slack (.012mm) in them when you are the the correct TDC.
I know the 4 strokes and I had some play on the top rocker arms both ways, so I know it was TDC compression.

Let me be more descriptive.
What I meant in my original question is the tip of the adjuster screw, where it contacts the lower arm, between which there should be the clearance, what is that supposed to be shaped like properly. Mine seems to have a tip similar to a flat head screw driver. so when I turn the adjuster screw it will go from (--) to ( I ) which changes the point of contact and also the clearance. Should that tip be domed evenly?

If I need to I'll remove the damn things and take pictures.

If yes, then does anybody have a part number so I can replace my adjuster screws and not kcuf up my rockers
PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #3879
Entropic86
Adventurer

[QUOTE=PCK_4xCustoms;17152400]Not sure if insulting or what but I'll let it slide. I was working in inches and misinterpreted as we're backwards here and have to do things differently.

Nope, was talking about myself. I misstated the tightness by a factor of 10.

If the tip of the adjuster screw isn't concentric, you might want to think about replacing them all.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #3880
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Mine seems to have a tip similar to a flat head screw driver. so when I turn the adjuster screw it will go from (--) to ( I ) which changes the point of contact and also the clearance. Should that tip be domed evenly?

If yes, then does anybody have a part number so I can replace my adjuster screws and not kcuf up my rockers
That adjuster is ruined. Replace it ASAP.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...1997&fveh=4289
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #3881
Rayza
n00b

Oddometer: 4
here my trusty old XR400

bought in 05 brand new only ridden bush tracks
Rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #3882
Rayza
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate37 View Post
Hi all. Some excellent pics here of the XR400 and good to see they are as popular as they deserve to be. Just picked up this minter in the Brisbane area. '04 model, 2700k and all stock standard...just the way I like 'em.
Threw on some Pro Tapers and Barkbusters and a couple of RHK risers to start with, will investigate a top clamp later when I have gotten back into riding again. Not much apart from a good clean up, lubed all the suspension linkages and steering head bearings. Set the sag and ride height to suit my feather-weight frame.. not much required on the standard set-up. Anyone have any good tips on some other goodies that would bling the 4 up without messing with its legendary reliability? Looking forward to getting some feedback, cheers
Oh, it did come with a chain, just needs a clean. Got a 25 litre Acerbis tank ready to go on too
with the bigger tank you may want to put bigger springs in it. Also check out "Thumper talk" forum XR400s and do the "gordon mods". I have done them all but biggest difference comes from good suspension setup and rejetting carby. I run #60 pilot and #162 main and have no trouble lifting the front wheel in the bush and I weigh mid 90's kg. Also replace the choke plate they break easy and u dont want them parts in your motor. ( Ballards sell them not very expensive)
Rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #3883
AwfulRider
Rubber side up?

Oddometer: 20
Quote:

You're right, it is very difficult to get a good adjustment when the adjuster screws are worn like that. Even if you can pull it off, they won't stay in adjustment long.

Tappet Adjusting Screw, P/N 90012-MG3-000 (the same for all years)

You probably should replace them all in one sweep. Good luck!
AwfulRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #3884
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
That adjuster is ruined. Replace it ASAP.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...1997&fveh=4289
The adjusters are easy to recondition also. The flatspot (caused by running it loose for an extended period) isn't usally too big and can be reshaped with fine sandpaper and finishing it up with coarse polishing wheel (scotchbrite type) using a die grinder. The tappet is hardened steel so it takes a little while, usally a couple thousands will do it.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #3885
KeyserSoze
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Searching for a stock XR4 tank... I bought my XR4 with a 3.8 mounted, but want the smaller tank as most of my riding is close to home and want to save some weight... If anyone has one stashed away and wants to part with it, shoot me a PM...
Thanks...
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote