Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #4366
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,044
Sorry had to go look at it again. I was picturing one of my other bikes front end in my head.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #4367
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
I recently bought a xr400 and need to remove the front wheel. It appears the axel is stuck to the nut or spacer or whatever you call it on the brake side of the fork. This spacer spins when you spin the axel so the axel does not come out - frozen to it. Is there a recommended way to solve this? I was going to tighten the small 8mm nuts as much as safely can and use a impact wrench at low setting. I need to get this wheel off - a bit bent and sooner or later will need to change the tire.

Thanks,

CB
Take it off the bike and use a vise. don't use the forks as a vise......
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #4368
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 878
CAn't take it off

Barrel nut will not pass thru the axel.Could remove and mount wheel in vise but effect will be same as taking a pipe wrench :(
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will attack it tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #4369
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Tank leak

So I just discovered a slow leak in my brand new Clarke tank, almost seepage really. It's just where the petcock joins the plastic of the tank.

Is this a known problem with a known fix?

Maybe I'm just being lazy for asking without trying anything...but any suggestions?

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #4370
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
The O-ring is worn on your Clarke. Just remove the petcock via the 8mm bolts and you'll likely find pieces of it falling out. I had a hell of a time finding a thick enough replacement that would be safe in gas. Never did actually so I made my own.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4371
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
The O-ring is worn on your Clarke. Just remove the petcock via the 8mm bolts and you'll likely find pieces of it falling out. I had a hell of a time finding a thick enough replacement that would be safe in gas. Never did actually so I made my own.

Hey thanks, that was quick.
Will give a proper look this weekend and see...

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #4372
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Good news and bad news. Pulled my cylinder head b/c I think my valve guide seals are worn causing my 4-hundy to smoke for the 1st 30 seconds when I start it up. Figured as long as I'm in there I wanna mic everything out and make sure that's the only thing that needs replacing. Turns out my 1996 still has the original bore and piston

It's 0.003" from the service limit so guess it's time. Damn XR's...who gets 16 years out of a piston, seriously?

What's a bore job run these days?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #4373
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Good news and bad news. Pulled my cylinder head b/c I think my valve guide seals are worn causing my 4-hundy to smoke for the 1st 30 seconds when I start it up. Figured as long as I'm in there I wanna mic everything out and make sure that's the only thing that needs replacing. Turns out my 1996 still has the original bore and piston

It's 0.003" from the service limit so guess it's time. Damn XR's...who gets 16 years out of a piston, seriously?

So is the bore worn out or the piston skirt out of spec? I have the stock piston left over from when I put in my 440 kit you can have for postage....$5 or so..

But I love my 440....would never settle for less....probably cost me $500....but while the head is off...you need guides, valve stem seals and a multi angle valve job...another $200or so....but as long as you can get out the swing arm pivot bolt...repair your '96...run it for 10 more years!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #4374
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:

Geez, only 16 years thats bogus.......Call Mr Honda and ask him for a WARUNTEEE
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #4375
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

My swingarm pivot bolt will come out no problem - when I cut off my swingarm.

Thanks for the offer but no, a stock piston won't work, my cylinder is too far gone. Unfortunately everything is turning out to be right at the wear limits so my quick and cheap rebuild is getting more expensive. Don't have the money to upgrade so probably gonna have to OEM a lot of it. Oh well if OEM lasted this long, do I really need to upgrade?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #4376
Rman237
Banned

Oddometer: 768
GoPro vid from yesterday, me and a friend riding gravel roads around Fayetteville, TX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUj19w3Gzas
Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #4377
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
My swingarm pivot bolt will come out no problem - when I cut off my swingarm.

Thanks for the offer but no, a stock piston won't work, my cylinder is too far gone. Unfortunately everything is turning out to be right at the wear limits so my quick and cheap rebuild is getting more expensive. Don't have the money to upgrade so probably gonna have to OEM a lot of it. Oh well if OEM lasted this long, do I really need to upgrade?
Just use a 11;1 Compression Wiseco piston on the next overbore. Add a stage 1 Hotcam also, the difference in performance is huge. No reliability issues at all. Its not worth it to try and stick with stock stuff here.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #4378
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Higher compression makes the engine run hotter and is harder on the bottom end, especially the conrod. I'm stuck at stop lights enough that I don't need anything that will increase my running temps.
I've built up a few engines but TBH I'm pretty happy with the power my XR has for what I use it for. It's my putt-putt, go exploring bike. I've never had to turn around because the bike couldn't make it. A 6th gear would be nice though.

Wallrat screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 11:20 AM
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #4379
cirell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
hello, love the thread, was wondering if anyone has rebuilt the rear shock? Or is it something better left to a shop?
Thanks
cirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #4380
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
hello, love the thread, was wondering if anyone has rebuilt the rear shock? Or is it something better left to a shop?
Thanks
Yes.

Depends on you. And the shop.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote