Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #4561
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by GurgaonTrails View Post
Thanks Luke. Your comments are helpful. Did you have longish runs on tarmac too?
Still hoping for someone with that specific experience to sign in too to add to thi.....

I like the testing idea too....but cant stop being worried yet.....There's like a 1000kms tarmac run to hit the Himalayas proper, in 110F heat.

Or maybe I'll just stick to tubes for that trip and then switch to Mousse for the trails around home when I'm back.

I haven't done a lot of pavement runs on them, but the ones I have done were successful. The longest was 60-70mph for over an hour, in 90F heat. Again, that was with just a front mousse, not rear.

If you don't expect to have thorn issues on the long trip, it would make a lot of sense to stick with tubes. With your speeds, I wouldn't worry about catastrophic failure; just tread wear with the lower pressure and the heat.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #4562
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I'm considering the purchase of a XR400R and plan to use it in Idaho. However, I'm wondering about the dual sport rules there that say that, with the restricted license + off road sticker (plus horn, mirror and stop light), you can't operate a Non Federal Spec motorcycle on state or federal highways. If I understand correctly, you can't even cross a state or federal highway unless it is at a location that is specifically "signed" to allow you to do so.

I'd like to hear what Idaho riders have experienced under these rules. I would have liked to do some loops --like McCall - Burgdorf - French Crk - Riggins coming back on portions of US 95. Or portions of Hwy 55 to get to Warm Lake, Johnson Crk, Yellow Pine, etc. or to Stanley.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #4563
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a XR400R and plan to use it in Idaho. However, I'm wondering about the dual sport rules there that say that, with the restricted license + off road sticker (plus horn, mirror and stop light), you can't operate a Non Federal Spec motorcycle on state or federal highways. If I understand correctly, you can't even cross a state or federal highway unless it is at a location that is specifically "signed" to allow you to do so.
You might want to try a regional forum since any laws of this nature would apply to all plated dirt bikes and not just XR4's. I'm in Ca which has equally retarded laws about doing OHV>dual sport conversions and there are a few ways around them, but its a pretty big hassle. Some people just opt to try different DMV's until they find an inept inspector, but in that instance there's nothing to prevent them from taking your plate if the error is ever discovered. Just do your homework and find the official documentation. At least in Cali, there's tons of rumors about what you need to make it legal; from stickers, to specific digits in the VIN, to sacrificing a live chicken. Getting a plate and having a legal plate are two vastly different things.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #4564
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
You might want to try a regional forum since any laws of this nature would apply to all plated dirt bikes and not just XR4's. I'm in Ca which has equally retarded laws about doing OHV>dual sport conversions and there are a few ways around them, but its a pretty big hassle. Some people just opt to try different DMV's until they find an inept inspector, but in that instance there's nothing to prevent them from taking your plate if the error is ever discovered. Just do your homework and find the official documentation. At least in Cali, there's tons of rumors about what you need to make it legal; from stickers, to specific digits in the VIN, to sacrificing a live chicken. Getting a plate and having a legal plate are two vastly different things.
WTF...no one ever told me about the chicken bit. Dammit, I thought you guys were supposed to be helpful.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #4565
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post

I'd like to hear what Idaho riders have experienced under these rules. I would have liked to do some loops --like McCall - Burgdorf - French Crk - Riggins coming back on portions of US 95. Or portions of Hwy 55 to get to Warm Lake, Johnson Crk, Yellow Pine, etc. or to Stanley.
Err you hit the nail on the head with dual sport! If you cant register it for the road, in your location, its never going to be dual sport. Im not in the US but ffs, registering a bike for road use is fairly simple, as long as its got brake lights, road approved tires, a horn, a rear view mirror and at least a red reflector on the back you are good to go, you might need more reflectors or lights but here you can get a daytime only MOT certificate so no lights required, just dont ride after dark..... but the xr has lights so no problem there. OK California has strict emissions legislation but who cares, most of us dont live there......

Once registered you must also pay for road insurance and whatever road tax is required in your location...... Never cross or use any road unless you are 100% legal to be on that road!

hughrk screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 05:07 PM
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #4566
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
WTF...no one ever told me about the chicken bit. Dammit, I thought you guys were supposed to be helpful.
I bought a CA plated one just before CA started pulling plates on the XR400s. Good thing I live in Nevada and can register it for road use here.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #4567
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Nah California grandfathered the law. Anything purchased and registered with a plate before Jan 31, 2004 gets to keep the plate. Anything after that date has to have a federal emissions sticker designating it for use on California highways. There's a few exceptions but mostly they involve somebody dying, getting a divorce, or destroying your $200 Ca registered craigslist beater so you HAD to buy a street legalized dirtbike while in Nevada/Arizona on vacation.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #4568
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Two Tubes

OK, here's another one.
I've heard of rally types fitting two tubes into the same tire.....Anyone know more about this?

1. Do you keep one filled and the other flat inside the tire as standby and inflate second one if you get a flat?
2. Or do you inflate each, but with less pressure each? If target is 15psi, then 7.5 each?
3. If first, then anyparticular placement of spare, or just stuff it in?
4. I assume one drills another hole in the rim for the second valve stem, and therefore still keeping the rim lock in?

If this works, then no need to do mid-ride repairs/changes etc....just ride with second tube and handle fixing at the end of the ride....

(obsessed with handling flats obviously)

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #4569
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,394
Quote:
OK, here's another one.
I've heard of rally types fitting two tubes into the same tire.....Anyone know more about this?

1. Do you keep one filled and the other flat inside the tire as standby and inflate second one if you get a flat?
2. Or do you inflate each, but with less pressure each? If target is 15psi, then 7.5 each?
3. If first, then anyparticular placement of spare, or just stuff it in?
4. I assume one drills another hole in the rim for the second valve stem, and therefore still keeping the rim lock in?

If this works, then no need to do mid-ride repairs/changes etc....just ride with second tube and handle fixing at the end of the ride....

(obsessed with handling flats obviously)
I believe this method would generate too much heat due to the friction going on in there and you would suffer a big time tire failure, especially if you were on any tarmac at hwy speed!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #4570
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Is your tire bald or do you just have some crazy thorns in India? I've never gotten a flat from a thorn - even when I ran through the bush and had dozens in the rubber that I had to pull out not a single one made it through.

I agree that 2 tubes seems like it would create heat, but having never tried it I couldn't tell ya for sure. I run a Tubeliss on both of my wheels and carry a bike pump and plug kit. Beats having to remove the wheel on the trail and carry a spare tube + irons.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #4571
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK_4xCustoms View Post
sooo, really. Street tire opinions for 18" rear and 21" front.

Looking to get a pair for commuting, anyone done this?

I dunno where to even start, all I understand it dirt

The previous owner of my XR400 had Bridgestone BT45's mounted. He commuted around 25-30 miles of secondary roads each way, using the bike for street only. I ran them for a short while. They worked fine for pavement, but you wouldn't want them on wet grass. I swapped to knobbies since I really wanted the bike for trail & DS riding.
dirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #4572
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Is your tire bald or do you just have some crazy thorns in India? I've never gotten a flat from a thorn - even when I ran through the bush and had dozens in the rubber that I had to pull out not a single one made it through.
Crazy thorns I guess. But not so much "in India" as in the trails near my house. We have soft and friendly thorns in India too :) Anyway, I end up pulling 10-15 of them each time I get a flat.

Currently running a brand new set of Pirelli MT21 Rallye tires. But had same problems in the last Dunlop D606 tires too.

Tubliss....hmmmm.....so I'm kinda beginning to lean that way too. What plugs? The same as you use for fixing car tubeless tires?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #4573
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,394
Quote:
Tubliss....hmmmm.....so I'm kinda beginning to lean that way too. What plugs? The same as you use for fixing car tubeless tires?
yes..or what you would use on an ATV/UTV...any of those gummy black strips that you can get at any auto parts or dept store (wal mart, Target, K-Mart etc) Good luck and if you can, post a pick of the tire killer thorns will ya!

you will need the roughing tool and the strip insert tool..usually you can buy the whole kit and it's not that expensive

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #4574
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
yes..or what you would use on an ATV/UTV...any of those gummy black strips that you can get at any auto parts or dept store (wal mart, Target, K-Mart etc) Good luck and if you can, post a pick of the tire killer thorns will ya!

you will need the roughing tool and the strip insert tool..usually you can buy the whole kit and it's not that expensive
Thanks Doc. Yes, finally something easy to find! I carry a set in the car. I think Tubliss may just be the way to go. Wont compromise on-road either like Mousse would. Will find something like TyreGuardian too to close the loop.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #4575
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
xr400 or maybe general thumper question

Bike in question is a xr400. It ran fine the last time I rode it. 6 months ago. before I put it away I drained the carb and the gas tank. First ride of the year today. It starts fine. Better than it ever has actually. Runs fine for the first few miles until it gets warmed up. Then it starts missing or bogging just off idle down low in the rpm. Just as you turn the throttle it bogs down. power in the upper rpms seems fine. Stop for lunch and the bike runs fine great actually after it has cooled down. after the first mile or two starts missing or bogging right off idle. as it gets warmed up again......

Any ideas?