sectrew screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 04:18 PM
sectrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #4622
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sectrew View Post
"BUMP?", "." What are you trying to say????
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #4623
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Has anybody run the 5.8 gallon tank? How does it fit, feel, handle? does it use up all the fuel or does the petcock sit under the carb? I'm doing a ride that will take me through a very remote area of around 180 miles and I'm not sure the 3.8 gallon tank will do it.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #4624
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
Has anybody run the 5.8 gallon tank? How does it fit, feel, handle? does it use up all the fuel or does the petcock sit under the carb? I'm doing a ride that will take me through a very remote area of around 180 miles and I'm not sure the 3.8 gallon tank will do it.
I run the 5.8 on my XR. You won't even notice that you have a big tank on it.

It will use ALL of the gas in it. The furthest I've run it is about 175 miles and I still had 1.5 gallons left. Now all I need is a real light on it and a solution to the gas pouring out of the carb overflow and I'll be set!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #4625
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Two questions

First, the decidedly stupid question:

1. Why do dirtbike gas caps have vents? None of my other bikes have ever had vented caps. What happens if block off the gas cap vent?

And then a simple one:

2. The XR has a 30 or 35w bulb in the headlight. With no stator mods or battery, can I still put in a 50 or 55w bulb if I find one? Would it cause any problem or even work at all?

Himalayan Ride Report 1997 | Ladakh again (2012)
GurgaonTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #4626
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurgaonTrails View Post
First, the decidedly stupid question:

1. Why do dirtbike gas caps have vents? None of my other bikes have ever had vented caps. What happens if block off the gas cap vent?

And then a simple one:

2. The XR has a 30 or 35w bulb in the headlight. With no stator mods or battery, can I still put in a 50 or 55w bulb if I find one? Would it cause any problem or even work at all?
1- The caps have vents because the tanks are simple. If you block off the cap vent, you'll pull a vacuum in the tank and possibly collapse it, but more than likely your bike will just stall.

2 - You can put one it, but you might not realize any advantages because the bike's stock stator only puts out so much power.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #4627
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
1- The caps have vents because the tanks are simple. If you block off the cap vent, you'll pull a vacuum in the tank and possibly collapse it, but more than likely your bike will just stall.
Thanks for the reply TBarstow. Would it be that all my earlier bikes had metal tanks, which would have the structural strength to not need vents, and it's the plastic tanks on dirtbikes that arent strong enough and need the vents to avoid a vacuum led collapse?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #4628
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurgaonTrails View Post
Thanks for the reply TBarstow. Would it be that all my earlier bikes had metal tanks, which would have the structural strength to not need vents, and it's the plastic tanks on dirtbikes that arent strong enough and need the vents to avoid a vacuum led collapse?
All gas tanks have vents. Most bikes with metal tanks either have a self-venting cap (like a Harley-Davidson) or have the vent integrated somewhere else (like a BMW).

You'd be surprised by the power of air pressure to crush stuff.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #4629
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
All gas tanks have vents. Most bikes with metal tanks either have a self-venting cap (like a Harley-Davidson) or have the vent integrated somewhere else (like a BMW).

You'd be surprised by the power of air pressure to crush stuff.
A'right, thanks. I guess I'll go and try and figure out where it is on the old Enfield....just of curiosity, because I never noticed it ever.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #4630
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Tank vent: A vent might be disguised as a tube coming out from the bottom of the tank. Metal tanks sometimes have a small opening near the cap that runs down through the tank via a tube and exits the bottom. Usually this has a rubber tube on it running to the airbox or under the bike. But ya, all tanks have vents unless you get into EFI in which case that's just witchcraft and voodoo.

55w bulb: Haven't tried it on the XR specifically since I swapped the stator as soon as I got it but usually running a higher wattage bulb than what the stator puts out results in a very yellow and dim light. I did a side by side comparison on a banshee and the 35w bulbs were easily twice as bright as the 55w while running the stock stator.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #4631
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Tank vent: A vent might be disguised as a tube coming out from the bottom of the tank. Metal tanks sometimes have a small opening near the cap that runs down through the tank via a tube and exits the bottom. Usually this has a rubber tube on it running to the airbox or under the bike. But ya, all tanks have vents unless you get into EFI in which case that's just witchcraft and voodoo.

55w bulb: Haven't tried it on the XR specifically since I swapped the stator as soon as I got it but usually running a higher wattage bulb than what the stator puts out results in a very yellow and dim light. I did a side by side comparison on a banshee and the 35w bulbs were easily twice as bright as the 55w while running the stock stator.
That info on tank venting was excellent....so I'm going with "......just witchcraft and voodoo"

On the lights - I'snt the XR stator a 75w unit......I guess some of that power will go to the tail light, which must be what, 5 or 10w? - but still not enough to power a 55w headlight?

The 35w throws just about enough light to show the red front fender.....and I already know what that looks like :)

Well, if that's how it is, then one more thing into the import list....a better stator.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #4632
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,041
A 55W bulb in the stock headlight will just give you a brighter front fender. The reflector is pretty crappy and you will not see much improvement unless you swap for a better headlight...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #4633
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
A 55W bulb in the stock headlight will just give you a brighter front fender.

I just shot tea out of my nose...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #4634
GurgaonTrails
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
A 55W bulb in the stock headlight will just give you a brighter front fender. The reflector is pretty crappy and you will not see much improvement unless you swap for a better headlight...
OK, that settles it. 01 numbers strappy head-torch will live in the ride bag. Add 01 numbers new headlight also to import list.

PS: I love this forum!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #4635
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
I run the 5.8 on my XR. You won't even notice that you have a big tank on it.

It will use ALL of the gas in it. The furthest I've run it is about 175 miles and I still had 1.5 gallons left. Now all I need is a real light on it and a solution to the gas pouring out of the carb overflow and I'll be set!
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Did you have to brace the front of it?

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote