ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #4861
curlysurfer
in need of a ride
 
curlysurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Bateau Bay, Orstrayla
Oddometer: 368
Sprocket dimensions

I got hold of another XR4 with a set of 17" motard wheel/tyres, with cush drive hub. but the sprocket is cactus.

Can anyone identify what bike a sprocket with 120mm ID, 6 bolt on 140mm PCD would come from.
My bike has 130mm ID on 6x150mm PCD

Should have added the motard option to the upgrade list earlier....
__________________
1962 Vespa VBB bali special 1975 BMW R75/6 resto job - collecting dust

couple of mountain bikes, 20 or so surfboards, not enough time........
curlysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #4862
Wold
Adventurer
 
Wold's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Russia, Vladivostok
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysurfer View Post
I got hold of another XR4 with a set of 17" motard wheel/tyres, with cush drive hub. but the sprocket is cactus.

Can anyone identify what bike a sprocket with 120mm ID, 6 bolt on 140mm PCD would come from.
My bike has 130mm ID on 6x150mm PCD

Should have added the motard option to the upgrade list earlier....
here you can find sprockets by sizes
http://www.dc-afam.ru/AfamCatalog.asp?c=size

here input number and see where it used
http://www.dc-afam.ru/AfamCatalog.asp?c=num
__________________
Motorcycle... connecting people =)
Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #4863
Luke
GPoET&P
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idiotville, OR
Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wold View Post
here you can find sprockets by sizes
http://www.dc-afam.ru/AfamCatalog.asp?c=size

here input number and see where it used
http://www.dc-afam.ru/AfamCatalog.asp?c=num
Now that's a handy site.

Thanks!
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #4864
beat
Double Dutchie
 
beat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: appel town, the lowlands
Oddometer: 88
somewhere in the Alti mountains russia


street side welding in Barnaul


fuel station in Kazagstan


i just love this bike...
i might actually buy another one
__________________
2012 summer holiday
beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #4865
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,239
nice pics!


i don't come here very often, but when i do - i see lots of good stuff and info....


thanks everyone for making this thread rocks.


i'm still finishing up mine - damn, 2 long years in the making.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #4866
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,346
Sadly, mine's up for sale. Picked up a newer KTM and have to clear room in the stable. I'll probably regret selling it after putting so much into it.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #4867
G600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Iceland
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat View Post

This is one loaded up XR4 (well I think this a XR4). Do you have a build thread somewhere? Or a picture album of the modifications?
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #4868
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 887
Never heard pinging before, but I think that's what I had this week after I hit up a sketchy gas pump in the Lost Coast region. Could anyone help me identify this issue? Didn't know a better place to post. Engine would run fine, but if I started riding hard, especially in the twisties, the engine would sound like a soup can with a BB bouncing around inside. I've turned the bike on a couple times since I got home, just to run errands, and it hasn't started again. The bad gas should be mostly gone from the tank, but I'm wondering; is what I had pinging, and is it possible it was JUST the bad gas? The noise was coming from the front of the cylinder head it seemed, maybe even louder on the right side.

Gotta say, other than the seat I REALLY enjoyed traveling on the XR400. I think I love it that much more now, and I'm sure I could never get rid of it. It's funny to feel that way about both my bikes (my sv650 too.) Definitely need to find a way to load the bike without raising the center of gravity so high. It wasn't as easy to flick around in the tight stuff (but was still fun enough.)

Clem Kevin screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 12:23 AM
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #4869
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer
 
AJ..'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
This is one loaded up XR4 (well I think this a XR4). Do you have a build thread somewhere? Or a picture album of the modifications?


hmmm....yeah....it's either an XR250Baja,or XR400R with E'start.....
__________________
HONDA XRV750-02,(woot-woot)BMW R1100GS-'98()BMW F650GS-01
Suzuki XF650Freewind-01
Husqvarna TE510centennial Rallye-04
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #4870
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer
 
AJ..'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,528
here's my current XR400R with dual exhaust mod...





Cheers....
__________________
HONDA XRV750-02,(woot-woot)BMW R1100GS-'98()BMW F650GS-01
Suzuki XF650Freewind-01
Husqvarna TE510centennial Rallye-04
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #4871
brixr400
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Palermo, Italy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.. View Post
here's my current XR400R with dual exhaust mod...





Cheers....
BMW gs650 dakar?
__________________
Baciamo le mani!
brixr400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #4872
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 32,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
The noise was coming from the front of the cylinder head it seemed, maybe even louder on the right side.
I suspect cam chain tensioner..but thats just a wild guess from across the country based on written type discription..YMMV
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #4873
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Never heard pinging before, but I think that's what I had this week after I hit up a sketchy gas pump in the Lost Coast region. Could anyone help me identify this issue? Didn't know a better place to post. Engine would run fine, but if I started riding hard, especially in the twisties, the engine would sound like a soup can with a BB bouncing around inside. I've turned the bike on a couple times since I got home, just to run errands, and it hasn't started again. The bad gas should be mostly gone from the tank, but I'm wondering; is what I had pinging, and is it possible it was JUST the bad gas? The noise was coming from the front of the cylinder head it seemed, maybe even louder on the right side.

Gotta say, other than the seat I REALLY enjoyed traveling on the XR400. I think I love it that much more now, and I'm sure I could never get rid of it. It's funny to feel that way about both my bikes (my sv650 too.) Definitely need to find a way to load the bike without raising the center of gravity so high. It wasn't as easy to flick around in the tight stuff (but was still fun enough.)
Drain all the crap gas, get some fresh premium, let it get good and warm....lug it in high gear...see what kinda noise it makes
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #4874
PCK_4xCustoms
lost
 
PCK_4xCustoms's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Back in the city :( Livonia MI
Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I suspect cam chain tensioner..but thats just a wild guess from across the country based on written type discription..YMMV

x2, I had a click/ping sound when I would get on it and thought it was loose valves.

A while later the plunger tensioner spring let loose and it sounded horrible. Easy RnR. $60.

BE sure to order the ''Plunger tensioner'' not the ''Cam Chain Tensioner''
__________________
'97 XR400r (plated) / '01 Triumph Tiger 955i

'95 XT350 (plated) SOLD

(2.5) '73 XL250's SOLD
PCK_4xCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #4875
brixr400
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Palermo, Italy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Never heard pinging before, but I think that's what I had this week after I hit up a sketchy gas pump in the Lost Coast region. Could anyone help me identify this issue? Didn't know a better place to post. Engine would run fine, but if I started riding hard, especially in the twisties, the engine would sound like a soup can with a BB bouncing around inside. I've turned the bike on a couple times since I got home, just to run errands, and it hasn't started again. The bad gas should be mostly gone from the tank, but I'm wondering; is what I had pinging, and is it possible it was JUST the bad gas? The noise was coming from the front of the cylinder head it seemed, maybe even louder on the right side.

Gotta say, other than the seat I REALLY enjoyed traveling on the XR400. I think I love it that much more now, and I'm sure I could never get rid of it. It's funny to feel that way about both my bikes (my sv650 too.) Definitely need to find a way to load the bike without raising the center of gravity so high. It wasn't as easy to flick around in the tight stuff (but was still fun enough.)

You should linsten to the engine and understand if it comes from the head or the right side of cylinder.
In the first case, it would be the valve, watch the manual for the value of tolerance.
If it comes from left side, maybe the cam chain tensioner isn't as strong as it must be.
The manual says that you have to replace with a new one but when I had the same problem I dismounted it and manually preloaded the spring. It works fine still now.
__________________
Baciamo le mani!
brixr400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014