Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #4981
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,543
I have always used gravity to help me start it on a hill..

but as was said, a few kicks WFO should help clear it out some..
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #4982
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 217
XR440 almost done....

Well since almost no one could give me any advice on running the TM38 on my XR4 after the 440 kit and since I knew I could be fucking with it for months, I figured for now I'll just put the stock Keihin back in and set it up as per Doc's settings, that should at least get me in the ball park. Well the biggest slow jet I had was a 62 and out of the 14 main jets I had a 162 was the largest, which I think might be in the park. Well after about 100 kicks and screwing with the choke settings I've come to the conclusion that the pilot is just too small. I went yesterday to 4 Honda dealers within a 150 mile range and none of them had any Keihin jets in stock. Come to find out, the nearest dealer with the jets on hand was somewhere in Michigan. So I ended up ordering them from Chaparral Motorsports and paid $40 for overnight shipping on 2 slows and 2 main jets. I went ahead and got a 68 and a 70 slow jet and a 165 and 168 main just in case the 162 is too lean for top speed running as that is what I was running in the stock 400 motor with great success. A bigger main might also let me bring the needle back down as its already on the lowest (richest) clip setting.

Here is a picture of the one piece choke plate I made from some scrap .040" 3003 aluminum I use exclusively for making fenders and alloy bodywork for cafe racers. I was in a hurry and just drilled the 1/4" hole without punching a guide and the bit wandered, I highly doubt it will effect the starting proceedure, but either way this one cost me about a dime, I didn't have to wait for 3weeks for XR's Only to ship it to me, and it took all of 5 minutes to make and fine tune with the 4-1/2" grinder.

And here she is almost ready for the ride this weekend. I really want to put some break in miles on her here at the house before I take her on a 500 mile ride this weekend so as soon as those jets get here today I'm firing her up, and I might be riding all night round my rural neighborhood. I built a SS rack to offset the headlight/front number plate and give me a little room for wiring, the ignition switch and a mount for my Garmin 276c. It also moved the light up a bit giving clearance and unsrouding the oil cooler.

And here she is all buttoned up and almost $750 later. That was an expensive ride through the mud hole last March. New parts on the list include a Wiseco 11:1 440cc kit, Hot Cam Stage 3 cam, DID o-ring chain, new sprockets, new 1-1/8" high rise tapered bars, Pro Baja grips and new 200w Trail Tech rectifier/regulator.

I think a Xmas present to myself this year will be a Edlebrock pumper carb and a new set of tires, maybe even a new DS style seat. I think I'm done trying to set up this non pumper TM38, I can always use it on another big 2 stroker I have, it won't go to waste.

Later guys. Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #4983
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
I'm trying to read this thread 15-20 pages a night as to not ask the same questions over and over....

But....

The pumper carb help with just cold? I think I'm more concerned about eating it on a hill and it taking forever to start up. If I pick it up fast, will it kick pretty easy? Or any fall over = kick kick kick ?

Got a 100mile ride Sunday. Guess Ill figure it out

The 86 I had was like this. I raced it for a few years with this problem, a lot of people will tell you the carbs are the big problem here but i fixed mine with learning how to set the valves. when I was done it would crank no matter when stroke it was on cold. Of coarse that was a few years after I stopped racing and was saleing it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #4984
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
There has been significant fingerpointing at the choke plate as a bad boy in terms of cold starting with the stock carb. First off that spring loaded choke plate has been known to self destruct and create BIG problems. I bought a single hole plate ages ago and use it, but some say the provider made it for the XR600 and the hole is too big. Dr Lewall needs to chime in here as I think he was involved in optimizing that hole size for the 400. My seat of the pants says 0.250" is too big...but let's see what the "Dr." sez.

On another note, I rode this weekend in northern MI...low 40's, hi 30's...my 440 gave me fits...finally replaced the plug, kicked till I was blue, but got it going and rode. Then it had a fit of bad HOT restarting after stalling in a sand pit...which is NOT normal.......now I'm paranoid!

Question is....is there a fine wire (Iridium) cross reference for the stock DPR8Z or DPR9Z?....Anyone use them?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #4985
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

I can always make another choke plate, this one took no time at all to cut on my bandsaw and finish with the grinder. Come on Doc, what's the skinny?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #4986
DrLewall
The Human GPS

here is what I did
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #4987
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I am using a denso #5372 iridium plug.

I don't know if it makes any difference because I installed it very soon after I got the xr, and it's my first motorcycle, and I'm still developing the seat of my pants to sense that kind of thing
birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #4988
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

UPS Sucks ass

Well I'm so disappointed right now. I figured out I needed larger pilot and main jets and after looking all over the state for a Honda dealer that might actually stock Keihin jets, I opted to order the jets from Chaparral Motorsports yesterday and asked for UPS Next Day Air to get them here by this afternoon. Well as of 2:15AM this morning the package had arrived in Kentucky but there was nothing after that even though the scheduled delivery was for today by the "end of the day". Well its now 10PM, as far as I'm concerned, its past the "end of the day" and still no package.

And after all this, my good friend Clay offered to loan me his new 2011 KTM 450EXC for this weekends ride, the East TX 450 with the Two Wheeled Texans. So I got a backup plan if UPS doesn't come through first thing in the morning.

Wish me luck.....

Later Travis

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #4989
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I'm running this:
http://www.amazon.com/NGK-DPR8EIX-9-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000CSGWZC/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=XR400R|20556&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Honda|59&Year=1997|1997&vehicleType=motorcycle&newCar=1&carId=001

Pumper carb gave me 1 kick starts 95% of the time, that plug bumped it up to 99%.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #4990
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,433
I have a 2003 XR400R, and bought a 200 Watt stator as seen in this thread -> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829274

My question is, do I need to change anything else out when upgrading to the 200 Watt unit, or will it simply be a swap?

I searched this thread a couple of times, but no luck in finding that answer up front. Thanks.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #4991
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
I have a 2003 XR400R, and bought a 200 Watt stator as seen in this thread -> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829274

My question is, do I need to change anything else out when upgrading to the 200 Watt unit, or will it simply be a swap?

I searched this thread a couple of times, but no luck in finding that answer up front. Thanks.
I did a rick stator swap on my XR4 and just follow the instructions, it was basically a plug and play experience..simple..
Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #4992
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 637
Quote:

I think you will need a HD reg/rec also
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #4993
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Sources for info: Baja Designs and electrex....the maker of the hi wattage units....apparently the stock voltage regulator will handle the 200 watts....if you want it to be DC output, a rectifier is required...baja designs will sell you one...along with other places. I just looked into all this...but lost some of my notes....the folks who make the vapor speedo are also big into aftermarket stators etc and sell regulsators and rectifiers
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #4994
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Thanks Wallrat!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #4995
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 628
Good info guys, thanks
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote