Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #5011
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a plated XR400 for singletrack/desert/lite adv/ around town/slickrock shredder. any of you guys have any thoughts on this? I have never rode one, my cousin used to have one though and it would walk all over my 94 cr125 haha.. Heard they are damn near bullet proof which I do like! more umphh than a DR350, less of a pig compared to the 600. Right now I am riding a 96 WR250 2 smoker. I love it but would really like a plate with a bit more sense of security. All opinions are appreciated.

The one time I went riding in the desert, (Barstow, CA), I rode an XR200, bored to 230. That sucked because it was too small for me. I am 6' 3" 230 lbs. However, my friend also has an XR400, and I rode that as well. It was a dream to ride. He lives out there and swears by the whole XR line for desert riding. Bullet proof reliability, and plenty of power to get you to Funzville.
AndyCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #5012
German Trick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,804
Did the search so if it’s been covered my apologies.

Has anyone installed a Scotts damper using the BRP sub-mount upper triple clamp and forward-mounted tower? I like this setup because there is no welding and it doesn’t block the oil fill location.

http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...tegory_id=1471

I’m still in love with my 14 year old XR even though I ride with a bunch of orange “button pushers”.

German Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #5013
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick View Post
I’m still in love with my 14 year old XR even though I ride with a bunch of orange “button pushers”.
well..you what they say, if you play with barn dirt, you'll start to smell like the barn!

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #5014
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
well..you what they say, if you play with barn dirt, you'll start to smell like the barn!

bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5015
German Trick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post

I have willpower!!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #5016
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I have had the opportunity to ride my 29 yrs old xr200r in a desert enduro this summer... I agree, the xr200r is _NOT_ a desert bike, but having said that, it's bullet proof and did pretty well, considering. I never had any doubts whether I was going to be able to finish the course or not, just not very fast.

in general, the XR line is bullet proof, and only lack modern suspension and high output motors. the xr400r and xr650r have the most modern stock suspension, out of that line, but the xr650r kind of deviates from the XR philosophy and seems more like a crf than a xr to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
The one time I went riding in the desert, (Barstow, CA), I rode an XR200, bored to 230. That sucked because it was too small for me. I am 6' 3" 230 lbs. However, my friend also has an XR400, and I rode that as well. It was a dream to ride. He lives out there and swears by the whole XR line for desert riding. Bullet proof reliability, and plenty of power to get you to Funzville.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #5017
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Haven't posted here in a while.. lot of hours at work and no time for fun. With gas prices the way they have been, and both of my vehicles being large and heavy V8s, the XR became a daily driver / commuter (still in dirt form though). Some random thoughts and questions...

No problems with the 440 kit yet. Hearing some noise from the top, I want to say it sounds like the dipstick is rattling against something will check the valves, but don't think that's it.

Need to figure out the right jetting / carb (stock carb), just doesn't feel the way I think it should. Looking at that bst40 (the polaris carb) when time and money allows

Riding around with a cracked rear (Excel) wheel after hitting a rock (was very low on air), need to get that fixed

I see a lot of straight (supermoto?) type rear fenders - the Acebris ones, are those the same style? Can't find an actual picture.. prefer not to pay 60 dollars for the Aloop or Maier or other fancy names, Acebris ones are cheap, and I want RED

Little caliper screw (one covering the slide shaft) is stuck on the rear again.. need to rebuild the rear m/c, any tips to get it out? Heat it with a torch?

Its great there is still love for the XRs. It is unfortunate that there's nothing on the market now that's as bulletproof as these bikes.. I did ask the guys at Scott's what they thought about USD conversions, and their take is that you're messing with the physics of the bike and the forces that the front part of the frame will see

Have to buy an fmf header too, one that came on my bike never did match up with the fmf rear and leaks, so its time to take care of that

I'll post a pic later..

spawn_x screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 03:50 PM
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #5018
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick View Post
Did the search so if it’s been covered my apologies.

Has anyone installed a Scotts damper using the BRP sub-mount upper triple clamp and forward-mounted tower? I like this setup because there is no welding and it doesn’t block the oil fill location.

http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...tegory_id=1471

Love the clean rear fender - do you have any close up shots of hows it mounted and what you used.
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #5019
German Trick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
Love the clean rear fender - do you have any close up shots of hows it mounted and what you used.
Sure!

Maier rear fender:

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/hon...le-rear-fender

Baja Designs LED tail/brake light:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=600709

Here are some close ups of the instalation.

When it was nice and clean last year:

And after I got it dirty on Saturday:

Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #5020
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

I got tired of those baja designs blinkers. Seems they are made of cheap rubber that dries up and breaks apart eventually. I was going to go with something flush, but ended up taking blinkers out all together
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #5021
cirell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hello
Was wondering how long you guys stretch an oil change out to, my manual says 600 miles ( 1000 km) but its a bit restrictive on a long unsupported ride - does anyone increase oil change intervals by using synthetic oils for example.
Any feedback appreciated.
cirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #5022
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 289
[QUOTE=German Trick;19818312]Sure!

Maier rear fender:

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/hon...le-rear-fender

Baja Designs LED tail/brake light:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=600709

Here are some close ups of the instalation.

When it was nice and clean last year:

Sweet !! thx for the info German T Looks better up close
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #5023
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
Hello
Was wondering how long you guys stretch an oil change out to, my manual says 600 miles ( 1000 km) but its a bit restrictive on a long unsupported ride - does anyone increase oil change intervals by using synthetic oils for example.
I go by color, smell, and how it feels between fingers. All depends on temps, type of oil, how hard you've ridden it, condition of engine, and other variables. I run mostly Honda synthetic, and will vouch for better oil quality vs regular oils and different brands. 8.95 a quart at the dealer, reasonable enough
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #5024
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
Hello
The manual suspect that you will be riding or racing your XR hard in the dirt thus the recommendation of 600 miles between oil changes. My XR is tagged and rides 80-90% dirt so I give it 1500 miles.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #5025
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 209
When I rode my XR4 the 5200 mile round trip to Portland OR from Houston TX, half the route was offroad and the other half back country 2-lane and blacktop. I changed both the oil and filter every 2000 miles, and each time the Lucas full synthetic oil came out of the motor looking like I had just put it in. I might have been safe to run it another couple thousand between changes, but I know in the past, a few hard dirty days in the forest with water and muddy ruts and my oil always comes out a little milky, I don't know how but moisture seams to get into the engine no matter how hard I try to keep it out.

If you ride strictly offroad and in mud or really dusty areas, then change it after every ride. Its cheap insurance. 3 qts of oil is cheaper than a new rebuild.

Goodluck, Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote