Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #5386
curlysurfer
in need of a ride

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Are there any identifying marks on fork springs in regard to their rate?

I'm needing to go into the forks on my '98 and at least ID the springs (hoping for .46's), as well as change the oil and do the Shim Stack Mod, if not already done. There's most likely not a set of .46 kg/mm springs already in there, but I'd like to ID the current residents just to be sure.
Thanks heaps for putting together the search index. How many alcoholic drinks did that actually take??????

i asked the same spring rate question a few weeks ago and was directed to thumpertalk

Hope this helps. I need some .48's as mine dives quicker than a lesbian at Liquorland

couple of mountain bikes, 20 or so surfboards, not enough time........

curlysurfer screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 03:52 AM
curlysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #5387
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysurfer View Post
Thanks heaps for putting together the search index. How many alcoholic drinks did that actually take??????

i asked the same spring rate question a few weeks ago and was directed to thumpertalk

Hope this helps. I need some .48's as mine dives quicker than a lesbian at Liquorland
I looked on the stock springs I took out and didn't see any identifying marks, the eibach springs had the rate and part number stenciled on the coil about 6" from one end.

There's a method to count the coils, measure the wire size and distance between coils to come up with the rate, unfortunately I've seen it referred to but never looked up a chart or exact procedure, sorry.

I was considering a USD upgrade prior to this mod and scoured TT, 4strokes.com and here for XR400 fork information, from what I've read the the vast majority of riders felt the stock forks can be made to work as well as USDs on the 400. They're just setup wrong out of the crate, specifically too much compression dampening and too low of a springrate for most riders (unless your about 140lbs). Aside from incorrect springrate, the excessive compression dampening causes the bike to standup in corners (I've noticed that) When compared to my 300xcw the XR doesn't want to turn. This is supposed to cure that, I'll see. It def feels much more compliant.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #5388
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamebrain View Post
I'm interested in hearing about the difference this makes. I've been thinking of doing this to mine!

It makes the ride feel much plusher, and the front end will deflect (twist sideways) much less on sharp hits like roots and rocks. The downside is that the front will also tend to dive into whoops instead of helping you skim over them.

IMO, if you mostly ride at:
Sand dunes (Xmas valley, coast dunes) leave the compression alone.
Sandy desert (China hat, Millican) do the mod halfway- leave in 8 shims give or take, depending on your weight.
Everywhere else in OR: do the mod all the way, leaving 6 shims installed.

No matter where you ride, getting the right springs will help a lot.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #5389
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Pull cable usually starts with 17910, push cable usually stars with 17920.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
Thanks, but the problem is they list two part numbers under the same tag number, and tag #1 and #2 have identical part numbers. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place. Rocky Mountain and Ron Ayers. By the placement in the photo I believe I need tag #2, rear cable on throttle tube.

EDIT: Screw it. Just counted my change jar and ordered both.
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #5390
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,534
Quote:

Great info, thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I looked on the stock springs I took out and didn't see any identifying marks, the eibach springs had the rate and part number stenciled on the coil about 6" from one end.

There's a method to count the coils, measure the wire size and distance between coils to come up with the rate, unfortunately I've seen it referred to but never looked up a chart or exact procedure, sorry.

I was considering a USD upgrade prior to this mod and scoured TT, 4strokes.com and here for XR400 fork information, from what I've read the the vast majority of riders felt the stock forks can be made to work as well as USDs on the 400. They're just setup wrong out of the crate, specifically too much compression dampening and too low of a springrate for most riders (unless your about 140lbs). Aside from incorrect springrate, the excessive compression dampening causes the bike to standup in corners (I've noticed that) When compared to my 300xcw the XR doesn't want to turn. This is supposed to cure that, I'll see. It def feels much more compliant.
Awesome! Thanks!
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #5391
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
That's one hell of a gender/sexual orientation slur!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #5392
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

As an XR400 owner with a lust for an electric start, I did some looking for a NEW 400 ATV crank and came up with a tidbit that there is a hot rod cranks place that makes stroked cranks (4 or 6mm...can't remember) with big bore pistons that will make a 460+ displacement XR4 engine......holy crap...imagine a monster displacement XR400 with e-start if one has deep enough pockets! monster torque....holy cow....has anyone looked into this in any depth?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #5393
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
As an XR400 owner with a lust for an electric start, I did some looking for a NEW 400 ATV crank and came up with a tidbit that there is a hot rod cranks place that makes stroked cranks (4 or 6mm...can't remember) with big bore pistons that will make a 460+ displacement XR4 engine......holy crap...imagine a monster displacement XR400 with e-start if one has deep enough pockets! monster torque....holy cow....has anyone looked into this in any depth?
DirtBike mag did an article on a guy who put the EX400 motor in a XR400 frame,,,had reverse. Anyone here doing that for the e-start???
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #5394
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
DirtBike mag did an article on a guy who put the EX400 motor in a XR400 frame,,,had reverse. Anyone here doing that for the e-start???
I subscribed to DB since the 70's. Discontinued it a couple years back....don't recall that. Got a clue of what issue? Would like to have it for reference.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #5395
franga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
hey!
i am loosing oil! cannot find a leak anywhere and in my opinion its not running rich. WTF is happening? any of you guys have a similar problem?
franga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #5396
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 881
I have

e start on mine with the trx400 left cover and a mikuni pumper carb. Works well, clearance no problem, the e start is nice but not necessary. I use it when I ride the 400, but not at all necessary if you had other uses for the money. I ride an xr250r and a xr600 as well, so kicking is no big deal, second nature. Only places I remember glad I had it was when I get hung up on a rock and stall. Only happened twice.Bike starts as easy as any modern bike.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #5397
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by franga View Post
hey!
i am loosing oil! cannot find a leak anywhere and in my opinion its not running rich. WTF is happening? any of you guys have a similar problem?
mine does the same thing..I think it burns it a little..CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN GUYS!!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #5398
franga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
this was about 800ml to a liter in an hour long ride. cannot be normal surely? i have just done an oil change this afternoon and will keep an eye on it...
franga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #5399
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
this was about 800ml to a liter in an hour long ride. cannot be normal surely? i have just done an oil change this afternoon and will keep an eye on it...
I think you are in denial, order some parts. Now!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #5400
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
holy cow....if it's not dripping off the engine and all that much going out the exhaust, you gotta be making clouds of oil smoke!!