Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #5461
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
Has anyone rebuilt an xr 400 rear shock or purchased an aftermarket shock they would recommend? I have seen one on ebay, a Hagen from England, has anyone heard of these,

I was going to rebuild mine but there is some wear in the bore and it may not last. (Rebuilt it two years ago and has failed already
seconded
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #5462
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,069
I used a replacement seal head from All Balls Racing a couple of years ago. It's held up since then. I would think that unless the shaft is damaged that a rebuild would hold up. A little wear in the body shouldn't matter.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #5463
cirell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I used a replacement seal head from All Balls Racing a couple of years ago. It's held up since then. I would think that unless the shaft is damaged that a rebuild would hold up. A little wear in the body shouldn't matter.

Thanks Luke, I saw replacement seal head on ebay but there are a few other seals required - do they come with any other seals
cirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #5464
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
Thanks Luke, I saw replacement seal head on ebay but there are a few other seals required - do they come with any other seals

I don't remember that it did- but I didn't need them. I did have to order a bladder separately. The piston seal and bushing on mine were fine so I left them alone. When the shock blew I did a parking lot rebuild (clean the seals, top up the oil) which held until I got the parts for a proper rebuild. If you want to do it once and not leave it disassembled for a couple of weeks it'd make more sense to order all the wear items.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #5465
powdermuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I am looking for stiffer fork springs anyone have experience with fork upgrades on the xr400?

What valving works best is anyone doing shock upgrades any recommended shops?

Thanks...........
powdermuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #5466
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdermuncher View Post
I am looking for stiffer fork springs anyone have experience with fork upgrades on the xr400?.......
I did the 6 shim stack mod this winter but already had some .44 springs from raceteck. I was 85kg when I chose the .44 springs.

The .44 springs were a big improvement as expected. The 6 shim mode makes the bike handle the trail junk better, generally softer ride, but still no bottoming out problems (for the riding I do now)

The forks work well for the riding I do now, with age I am less aggressive and more into trail/play riding, the jumps are smaller and the speed slower. Still I regret not doing this mod ten years ago, I am 90% sure it would have been an improvement.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #5467
powdermuncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by franga View Post
hey!
i am loosing oil! cannot find a leak anywhere and in my opinion its not running rich. WTF is happening? any of you guys have a similar problem?
Run your engine to operating temperature 5 to 10 minute ride.

check oil and adjust to correct level , recheck after after one hour riding right away- stop engine check imediately.

I once had a xt 550 that drained oil down into the engine every time it sat for any time. Usually that is all it is .

If you burn a liter an hour there be lots of blue smoke. That summer where I had that problem I did 26 tousand KM after

I thought I had engine problems. Usually it is just some carbon on the check valve , with time they all bleed down some.
powdermuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #5468
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdermuncher View Post
I did 26 tousand KM after

I thought I had engine problems. Usually it is just some carbon on the check valve , with time they all bleed down some.

how many K do you have on your motor?
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #5469
sog805
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello all! I just sold my 07 crf250, the very next day bought this new to me 03 xr4 CA plated with a baja designs kit. So far I have been riding it to work and haven't been able to take it to the desert yet. The previous owner installed fat bars, xrs only triple, and a GPR stabilizer. The mount for the trail tech speedo kinda sucks, only held by one bolt from the far right bar mount. I was curious to see how others mounted their speedo with a fat bar and a stabilizer in the way.

-Steve

sog805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #5470
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,113
New XR400 rack available from ManRacks.

Those familiar with the XR650L thread will recognize ADV's JunglePlant as the go-to guy for rear racks and other gadgets for
their Big Red Pigs.

I had been contemplating fabbing up a rack for my XR4 like I had for my XL250 and DR250, but I ran out of pre-bent corners
in my scrap pile, so I emailed Mike at ManRacks and asked if he had something in the works that wasn't on his website.

As it turned out, he had been working on an XR400 rack, but didn't know anybody close at hand with an XR4 for test-fitting,
and would I be his guinea pig?

Hellz yeah!

Here's a link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860392
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #5471
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,301
Thats awesome!

I would like to see something just a tad wider tho
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #5472
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
If a complete assembled 98 xr400 bike is being sold for parts only with the further qualification that "there are problems with the conrod", what $$$ might one have to spend up to to fix this "issue". Unfortunately, inspection and more information is difficult/impossible right now!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #5473
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,301
if you have to rebuild the motor, figure anywhere from $1000-1500 USD, and that is for a complete motor rebuild, new bearings, crank rebuild etc..if you split the cases, dont skimp on parts, do it right.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #5474
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
if you have to rebuild the motor, figure anywhere from $1000-1500 USD, and that is for a complete motor rebuild, new bearings, crank rebuild etc..if you split the cases, dont skimp on parts, do it right.
Is that an estimate of a DIY rebuild or doing it yourself? (sans machine work of course)
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #5475
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Thanks for that. I'm assuming that the crank cases do not need replacing and that your figure is for me doing the work not a garage.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote