ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #5491
kito
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: cheshire , England
Oddometer: 270
Hi I have been looking into what bike to buy next .I am wanting to build up a simple reliable lightish long distance offroad touring bike . I think the xr400 might just be the bike but I will need to "A" increase the amount of oil going round the engine and "B" fit a wheel with a cush drive
"A" shouldnt be to hard I think as its a dry sump . Has anyone on here already done this mod ?
"B" what wheels with cush drive should fit the xr400 ?
thanks kito
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #5492
overlandr
Dystopist
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I would agree with this..and even at $300, might be a little too much for it.
For the record it appears to have sold for $1000!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #5493
G600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Iceland
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
Hi I have been looking into what bike to buy next .I am wanting to build up a simple reliable lightish long distance offroad touring bike . I think the xr400 might just be the bike but I will need to "A" increase the amount of oil going round the engine and "B" fit a wheel with a cush drive
"A" shouldnt be to hard I think as its a dry sump . Has anyone on here already done this mod ?
"B" what wheels with cush drive should fit the xr400 ?
thanks kito
Hi. Very interesting. Please do post if you go for it and show us lots of pictures as the project progresses.

A. Why? The XR4 holds a little under 2 liters of oil, I change the oil at about 2000km (dual sport riding). Offroad-touring will add km faster pr hour, Im sure you can stretch the oil change interval to maybe 3000 km. Is that to frequent for you?

B. Why? I have never heard about XR4 gearbox failures related to street use.

IMHO your challenge has to do with rider comfort and the ability to carry heavy luggage. The XR4 is after all a dirbike, tall and thin with a narrow seat. And the subframe in not that strong, it probably will not handle heavy luggage for long periods of time, specially not offroding.
G600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #5494
ibeme1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 72
XR exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs View Post
Im in Australia I have one you can have, to expensive though to post international

Thanks for the offer but I think shipping would be really expensive.

Thanks again!
Jeff
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #5495
kito
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: cheshire , England
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
Hi. Very interesting. Please do post if you go for it and show us lots of pictures as the project progresses.

A. Why? The XR4 holds a little under 2 liters of oil, I change the oil at about 2000km (dual sport riding). Offroad-touring will add km faster pr hour, Im sure you can stretch the oil change interval to maybe 3000 km. Is that to frequent for you?

B. Why? I have never heard about XR4 gearbox failures related to street use.

IMHO your challenge has to do with rider comfort and the ability to carry heavy luggage. The XR4 is after all a dirbike, tall and thin with a narrow seat. And the subframe in not that strong, it probably will not handle heavy luggage for long periods of time, specially not offroding.
Hi thanks for the reply .I have a friend who went 2up with his better half on a xr400 from UK to morocco on it so the bike can take some weight on the back . I will weld up some gussets ect to add some strenth to the frame . I have had tony archer do the seat on my BMW x challenge and am happy so I would get him to do the same again on the XR. I have a lot of mods in mind if I do go ahead with getting an XR so might just do a bike build thread.
I have read that quite a lot of people change the carb . What sort of MPG will I be getting with a different carb ?
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #5496
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan
 
aaron2a's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: canton, ms
Oddometer: 675
xr400 stunt

I've got a street legal xr400 that is awsome... I've started to do wheelies and now I want to put axle sliders and a 12 o'clock bar and foot pegs.. I found where one guy fabed one up but I kinda want to keep the air box... If anyone knows someone or can build one without having to have my bike there it would be awsome.
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #5497
mookybird
Gramps
 
mookybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington State
Oddometer: 213
Kito....I bought a 98 xr4 last fall off craigslist, other than fork springs and a baja designs kit it is stock. In august I rode it from home to Baja than northeast up to North Dakota and back home. I covered a bit over 5000 miles and it was trouble free.

I thought the stock seat was comfortable enough and I plan to do a similar trip again this summer. With a bit of practice it only takes a few minutes to change oil, I would pull into walmart back by the repair shop doors and buy the oil and a bucket and they were very nice about disposing of the used oil and bucket afterwards. I changed oil four times and replaced a well worn rear pirelli MT43 trials tire in Moab.

I ran for a couple of long days in temps over 100 and just had zero problems. I can't recall exactly but I think mpg's were about 45 to 47 average.

I've toured quite a bit with several types of bike from big cruisers to the whole ADV hard panniers type and the old XR was not the fastest or the most comfortable but it was sure a lot of fun.

I used the giant loop coyote luggage system and had no issues, most of the trip was on pavement but there were several hundred miles on dirt and about 120 very punishing miles in Death Valley running as fast as I could stay on it on a rough road with no rear subframe problems.

Maybe I got lucky, hard to say. I've looked things over well and can't find any indication of wear or damage from not having a rear wheel cush drive? I like the inexpensive simplicity of the bike.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I have mine setup to run 65 to 70 comfortably and can change to a larger front sprocket in a few minutes as needed for the offroad sections. gramps

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #5498
Luke
GPoET&P
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idiotville, OR
Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
I have read that quite a lot of people change the carb . What sort of MPG will I be getting with a different carb ?
Probably the bad sort.

I usually got 30mpg-45mpg with the stock carb. 30 would be in lots of mud or deep sand, but usually 40-45 for hardpack trail, gravel roads or pavement. With the Mikuni TM36, which is the most popular replacement carb, it'll still get 45mpg on pavement but I can count on 25-30mpg anywhere else.

The extra little bit of power and easier starting is nice, but for traveling I would stick with stock.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #5499
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,496
Kito & Mookybird:

I have used my XR400R for significant road work. Be sure to gear it up...I run 16/45, get a thermometer to go in the dipstick hole, and make sure there is no fender toolbag to impede air flow to the oil cooler. Try to keep oil temps below 245, and run a top notch synthetic oil. I use 10W40 Rotella T Synthetic...it's a diesel truck oil...and no I don't want to open that synthetic oil clutch slippage can of worms. Make sure you tension your chain with decent slack with your self and luggage on board.
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #5500
Diravi
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
I have read that quite a lot of people change the carb . What sort of MPG will I be getting with a different carb ?
If you set the pumper carb to pump fuel unnecessarily too early, and if you ride it hard in the dirt it MPG will go down.

What helped me to get MPG down is the high compression piston, CR 11:1 instead of the stock 9:1. Just see what Mazda is doing with their new Skyactiv car engines, they have 14:1 CR to get much better fuel efficiency.
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #5501
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookybird View Post
I can't recall exactly but I think mpg's were about 45 to 47 average.
This is what I got on a recent 1500 mile trip, I was a bit disappointed actually. I think I was running 16/45, I figured I would break the 50's if not 60's. What tire and pressures were you running? I had the shinko 244 and kept it around 25-28 psi


Quote:
Originally Posted by Diravi View Post
Just see what Mazda is doing with their new Skyactiv car engines, they have 14:1 CR to get much better fuel efficiency.
This is very cool, I had no idea. Wasn't Honda working on something similar, where the pistons almost had a mini combustion chamber on top of them?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #5502
kito
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: cheshire , England
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diravi View Post
If you set the pumper carb to pump fuel unnecessarily too early, and if you ride it hard in the dirt it MPG will go down.

What helped me to get MPG down is the high compression piston, CR 11:1 instead of the stock 9:1. Just see what Mazda is doing with their new Skyactiv car engines, they have 14:1 CR to get much better fuel efficiency.
what will this do to the long term reliability of the engine ?
do you know get a nock on low grade fuel ?
what is your mpg now ?
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #5503
kito
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: cheshire , England
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Kito & Mookybird:

I have used my XR400R for significant road work. Be sure to gear it up...I run 16/45, get a thermometer to go in the dipstick hole, and make sure there is no fender toolbag to impede air flow to the oil cooler. Try to keep oil temps below 245, and run a top notch synthetic oil. I use 10W40 Rotella T Synthetic...it's a diesel truck oil...and no I don't want to open that synthetic oil clutch slippage can of worms. Make sure you tension your chain with decent slack with your self and luggage on board.
verry interesting that you are using a truck oil ? any problems to report ? how long have you been using this oil in your motor ?
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #5504
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
what will this do to the long term reliability of the engine ?
do you know get a nock on low grade fuel ?
what is your mpg now ?
My XR440 has the stock carburetor, 11:1 CR, and likes premium....It generally gets 50 mpg, as long as you stay under 65mph...give it regular gas, and you surely CAN'T lug it without getting knock..especially in hot weather....but if you have to burn the low octane just be smooth o the throttle and don't lug it, and it'll get you to a station where you can add some premium and dilute the regular....oh and these are US 4 quart gallons, not inperial 5 quart gallons
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #5505
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
verry interesting that you are using a truck oil ? any problems to report ? how long have you been using this oil in your motor ?
5 or 6 years...no engine problems at all
Ed@Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014