Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #5581
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
Also I might add, after doing 5000+ miles, do yourself a favor and go ahead and change the wheel bearing and seals now before you take her out on another long ride. Those are not as readily available in remote areas as you might think and waiting in some hick town for a week for All Balls to rush you a $20 set of bearing is anti productive.

As far as the electrics are concerned, I followed a thread on this forum on hand winding your own stock stator and I wound mine for about 200w with 18G copper, hooked it to a $50 generic Reg/Rec and built my own new wiring harness with really high end silicone covered marine grade wires. I could run my 65/100w KTM Adventure headlight all night long and never once did it drain the tiny 1000 mah SLA battery I added. I also had my Garmin GPS, a Trailtech speedo/tach/temp gauge, 2 charging jacks for phone and computer battery chargers running, again never killed the battery. I left the light on for about 30 minutes setting up camp one night in the middle of no where with not even moon light to help. The battery was low when I shut it off but she fired right up thanks to the CDI ignition.

I do love this bike.

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #5582
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
the tiny 1000 mah SLA battery I added.

I do love this bike.
Where did you place the battery? I'd love to see a photo; I've been considering a similar upgrade.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #5583
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 863
Fork question

I have a set of $50 forks I am running on my 2000 xr. I believe the forks are 1997. Yesterday I tore the forks down and replaced the seals . One had been leaking pretty bad. Replacing seals is easy enough. I was looking at the valve bolt and wondering just how effective the removal of 6 shims is. I hear a lot about it. . Thought that might be a bit much. It appears to me the oil flows up from below and the 12 shims act as a limit on how much can flow thru the valve body. By removing shims, more oil can flow as the stack can rise higher to the stop, creating a larger passage.

I might want to try it, tho I am not unhappy at all with the forks. After going thru the hassle of taking off the fork caps, using the cartridge grabbing tool I made and either using a socket wrench or gently impact wrenching off the bottom bolt, I wonder... I know I can gun it off, but if I leave the fork cap on, cartridge all intact, can the bolt be put back on? This way I could turn clean forks upside down, screw with what I need without messing with oil levels, etc?

Seems there's a reason it can't be put back on this way; I was just in it and should remember but I got crs! (Can't remember shit)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #5584
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,621
For more info on the Shim Stack Mod, czech out Posts 4159-64, 4180-82, 5374, 5467 of this thread.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #5585
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Where did you place the battery? I'd love to see a photo; I've been considering a similar upgrade.

Clem, I folded up a little tray from some scrap aluminum that fit the battery just right and mounted in the top of the airbox where the snorkel goes. I then cut the five 1-1/4" holes along the top right side to let the airbox breath better. As long as I stay out of deep water, the holes work fine. I mounted the Reg/Recon the frame backbone near the coil. I don't have any good pictures of it but it worked well.

I hope this helps. Later Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #5586
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 394
Looking for choke plate return spring and cover for my cb125. Have been up since 4am searching net and parts. Looks to be the same as one on my xr400 so I posted here. Keihin pd carby.
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #5587
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
I have a set of $50 forks I am running on my 2000 xr. I believe the forks are 1997. Yesterday I tore the forks down and replaced the seals . One had been leaking pretty bad. Replacing seals is easy enough. I was looking at the valve bolt and wondering just how effective the removal of 6 shims is. I hear a lot about it. . Thought that might be a bit much. It appears to me the oil flows up from below and the 12 shims act as a limit on how much can flow thru the valve body. By removing shims, more oil can flow as the stack can rise higher to the stop, creating a larger passage.

I might want to try it, tho I am not unhappy at all with the forks. After going thru the hassle of taking off the fork caps, using the cartridge grabbing tool I made and either using a socket wrench or gently impact wrenching off the bottom bolt, I wonder... I know I can gun it off, but if I leave the fork cap on, cartridge all intact, can the bolt be put back on? This way I could turn clean forks upside down, screw with what I need without messing with oil levels, etc?

Seems there's a reason it can't be put back on this way; I was just in it and should remember but I got crs! (Can't remember shit)
The 6 shim mod is really for enduro style technical riding, roots, ledges etc... if you ride allot of whoops it's probably going to be a little soft on compression. In technical terrain it will soak up bumps allot better with less deflection.

I don't see why the method you described shouldn't work. I popped mine off with an air gun, I use that method on allot of forks and haven't jacked one up yet. I purposly use an airwrench that isn't real strong and I'm used to it, crankin the compression valves off with a honkin gun you're not used to could definately cause some issues.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #5588
cbig

Getting the bolt off was not

An issue, I want to be able to put it back on without disassembly. I think all the stuff should stay in place....but no cartridge holding tool. What I'm asking is if the friction from the spring with the forks upside down will hold the cartridge enough to get to the 34 Nm specified?

I took the forks apart Saturday with the air gun, easy. Putting it all back together required a tool I made out of a piece of pipe. If spring tension is all I need, when I go out camping I can screw with the shim removal and not have to mess with pouring back in my already clean oil. I can screw around with the shimming I like. Having an air gun camping will be more trouble than its worth as I wouldn't want to put it on that way and risk stripping it and running the motorhome engine for the air supply is a pain.

Should be a major improvement on rocks? Seems ok now but more is better!

cbig screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 09:52 AM
cbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #5589
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
.... What I'm asking is if the friction from the spring with the forks upside down will hold the cartridge enough to get to the 34 Nm specified?...
No. You will need to assemble with a air gun. You can mess up if you don't know what you are doing.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #5590
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
An issue, I want to be able to put it back on without disassembly. I think all the stuff should stay in place....but no cartridge holding tool. What I'm asking is if the friction from the spring with the forks upside down will hold the cartridge enough to get to the 34 Nm specified?

I took the forks apart Saturday with the air gun, easy. Putting it all back together required a tool I made out of a piece of pipe. If spring tension is all I need, when I go out camping I can screw with the shim removal and not have to mess with pouring back in my already clean oil. I can screw around with the shimming I like. Having an air gun camping will be more trouble than its worth as I wouldn't want to put it on that way and risk stripping it and running the motorhome engine for the air supply is a pain.

Should be a major improvement on rocks? Seems ok now but more is better!
I dodn't have oil in it at the time but I threaded on the top cap, turned it upside down, started the compression unit by hand then compressed the forks and hit it with the gun. I was able to line up the lower end of the dampening rod with my pinkie prior to starting the compression stack, I don't even own one of those tools.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #5591
cbig

Chris

THanks, I got it. I see I may need the impactor to turn it enough to get the friction to 34 Nm. I can do that easily without the other tool. Might screw with that next time out. Thanks, btw your videos are interesting, especially the Moab stuff. New Mex like that? Might have to put that on my to see list.

Chuck
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #5592
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

My swingarm bolt came out!

No muss, no fuss. Some gloriously appreciated previous owner removed it and greased it years ago, and it came out this afternoon with minimum hassle.

XR400 Index
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #5593
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 394
go immediately and get a lottery tickey u lucky @#%$:-X:-[:-D:-(:-/
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #5594
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post

No muss, no fuss. Some gloriously appreciated previous owner removed it and greased it years ago, and it came out this afternoon with minimum hassle.

you lucky bastid!

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #5595
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Lucky indeed. I was preparing for the worst.

Happy happy, joy joy.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 04:46 PM