User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #5971
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Thank you PO!!!!

I recently purchased a 2002 XR and one of the things that amazed me is the original order documented every single service, kept every single receipt up until 2011. He mentioned greasing the linkage back in 2006 and 2009 but wasn't sure if that included the swingarm bolt. So I broke the bike down before even riding it with some worry.....well I must be the luckiest guy in the world or got the last of the great XR's.....

I just took all my linkage apart. Everything came off easy, everything had been cleaned and greased by someone before me. No rust, no corrosion. NICE! Just need to regrease it all and slap it back together.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #5972
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
I recently purchased a 2002 XR and one of the things that amazed me is the original order documented every single service, kept every single receipt up until 2011. He mentioned greasing the linkage back in 2006 and 2009 but wasn't sure if that included the swingarm bolt. So I broke the bike down before even riding it with some worry.....well I must be the luckiest guy in the world or got the last of the great XR's.....

I just took all my linkage apart. Everything came off easy, everything had been cleaned and greased by someone before me. No rust, no corrosion. NICE! Just need to regrease it all and slap it back together.
Lucky bastid!

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #5973
coffman300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
i need some help on my friends xr 400.im putting a led light bar on it for him like the one i put on my xr650l but from what i understand its a ac not a dc system so i cant just hook up to the head light .i would like to put a switch in line with the head light so i can run one light or the other not both at the same time.im using a dtdp switch on-off-on.any help would be nice.thanks
it a 04 if that helps at all

coffman300 screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 07:18 PM
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #5974
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,760
Incandescent bulbs aren't picky, but you'll have to wire the lighting circuit through a Rectifier in order to run LED's. Rectifier = converts AC to DC by running the current through a bank of diodes. Diodes function like one-way valves, allowing current to flow one way, but not the other.

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#batteries
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #5975
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Guys here's an odd one - my clutch started having issues so I took the cover off, and the pressure plate bearing came apart and was binding up the pull.

Anyone ever heard of this ???

I've always dealt with clutch not disengaging fully all the time and hard to find neutral. Ordered OEM clutch discs off ebay as well, but wondering what in the world would cause the pressure plate bearing to fail

Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #5976
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffman300 View Post
i need some help on my friends xr 400.im putting a led light bar on it for him like the one i put on my xr650l but from what i understand its a ac not a dc system so i cant just hook up to the head light .i would like to put a switch in line with the head light so i can run one light or the other not both at the same time.im using a dtdp switch on-off-on.any help would be nice.thanks
it a 04 if that helps at all
Yup, LEDs are DC, you'll need a rectifier and a capacitor a the least, expect a flicker in the LEDs at idle with the cap. A battery is preferable for good light, it will supply power at idle when the stator's output is low. Some LED controllers (circuitry in the LED unit) can be picky when it comes to the DC power you supply them, if that's the case you'll have to go the battery route.

Here's a simple Rec/Cap setup
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #5977
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 398
Just joined the XR4 family! I gave up on my 88 XR600 project and just bought a running, complete bike. Came with many upgrades and two sets of wheels (SM and Dirt) full dual sport electronics kit installed and ready to ride!
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #5978
coffman300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Yup, LEDs are DC, you'll need a rectifier and a capacitor a the least, expect a flicker in the LEDs at idle with the cap. A battery is preferable for good light, it will supply power at idle when the stator's output is low. Some LED controllers (circuitry in the LED unit) can be picky when it comes to the DC power you supply them, if that's the case you'll have to go the battery route.

Here's a simple Rec/Cap setup
thank you guys for the quick feedback.could i use the little battery pack that is used for the baja kit .if so how do i wire it to the stator the rectifier and light so the battery will charge.thanks again
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #5979
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffman300 View Post
could i use the little battery pack that is used for the baja kit .if so how do i wire it to the stator the rectifier and light so the battery will charge.thanks again
http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/i...010-ELV-71.pdf
XR400 Index
Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #5980
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_x View Post
Guys here's an odd one - my clutch started having issues so I took the cover off, and the pressure plate bearing came apart and was binding up the pull.

Anyone ever heard of this ???

I've always dealt with clutch not disengaging fully all the time and hard to find neutral. Ordered OEM clutch discs off ebay as well, but wondering what in the world would cause the pressure plate bearing to fail

Thanks
The plot thickens..

Upon examination, it appears the previous owner installed what looks like a Hinson basket (score!?) and I have 7 and 8 discs/plates instead of 6 and 7. You can see the bearing that fell apart in the second picture on the left. Things are starting to make more sense. Clutch hub doesn't look stock-colored either..

Anyone heard of extra clutch plate/disc or got any input?

Springs are at 46mm, don't look stock (yellow colored)

no wonder I can't find neutral on the bike
Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #5981
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Did more thinking and checking on ebay.. this most definitely is aftermarket clutch pack.

To answer my own question.. because it always dragged and I always had trouble finding neutral, I spent my red lights with the clutch pulled in. Coupled with heavier duty springs, I bet it must have placed additional + continuous (at red lights) stress on the bearing, causing it to fail.

Well, no big loss, hopefully the OEM clutch takes care of the neutral + dragging problem, and the bearing is no big deal I guess.

Pretty stoked about my aftermarket basket though previous owner really shelled out some coin on this..
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #5982
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

I'm glad it was something simple (incorrect assembly by a previous owner). You ought to be well-served with OEM springs and the correct number of OEM plates. And a new bearing.
XR400 Index
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #5983
DrLewall
Banned

Oddometer: 32,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn_x View Post
Did more thinking and checking on ebay.. this most definitely is aftermarket clutch pack.

To answer my own question.. because it always dragged and I always had trouble finding neutral, I spent my red lights with the clutch pulled in. Coupled with heavier duty springs, I bet it must have placed additional + continuous (at red lights) stress on the bearing, causing it to fail.

Well, no big loss, hopefully the OEM clutch takes care of the neutral + dragging problem, and the bearing is no big deal I guess.

Pretty stoked about my aftermarket basket though previous owner really shelled out some coin on this..
I suspect that you might wanna replace that basket with an OEM one too..don't know why folks wanna replace what works fine with some tricked out aftermarket item...unless they are drag racing an XR400, and frankly I aint never heard of anyone professionally drag racing a XR

Seriously though, go back to OEM and you will be grinnin ear to ear at a stop light, and it will hook up just fine for any rabbit start you throw at it and your little ole bearing will last forever.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #5984
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Anyone heard of extra clutch plate/disc or got any input?

Springs are at 46mm, don't look stock (yellow colored)

no wonder I can't find neutral on the bike [/QUOTE]

Basket mod and extra plates are two independent mods if memory serves me. You need to check that clutch centre, I think the inside face gets machined to allow the extra plates to be fitted? Check here http://www.gtthunder.com/models/400EX.html, the clutch link is 404 just now but give them a phone.
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #5985
spawn_x
Gnarly Adventurer

Its a 440, suspect that's why previous owner upgraded. Luckily ebay is full of parted out bikes, so parts are very affordable