Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #6061
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
What year is this XR400R and will these tanks and shrouds fit on a 2001?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #6062
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
What year is this XR400R and will these tanks and shrouds fit on a 2001?

According to the picture, it's a '97. The only external difference over the years are the muffler baffle, emissions hoses, and the color of the plastics. Very minimal internal differences.

Yes, it looks like an A-loop kit. Seat/tank/shrouds combination.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #6063
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
According to the picture, it's a '97. The only external difference over the years are the muffler baffle, emissions hoses, and the color of the plastics. Very minimal internal differences.

Yes, it looks like an A-loop kit. Seat/tank/shrouds combination.
OH YEAH! Now that you mention it I remember the A Loop kits when I had my XR600R! WOnder if they are still available. That tank looks great.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #6064
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Bluhduh

Quote:
According to the picture, it's a '97. cut///
Anyone know what kind of stand that is? I need one.
Also, now, when I see a beauty like this I wonder, will the swing ran pilot bolt need to be cut out???

XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #6065
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR400R99 View Post
Anyone know what kind of stand that is? I need one.
Also, now, when I see a beauty like this I wonder, will the swing ran pilot bolt need to be cut out???

It stood long enough to take the picture, so it can't be Harbor Freight. And the swingarm pivot is fine. The factory didn't run out of grease until mid '01.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #6066
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
It stood long enough to take the picture, so it can't be Harbor Freight. And the swingarm pivot is fine. The factory didn't run out of grease until mid '01.
CRAP! I wonder when my soon to be mine 01 was made.....better service it when I get it. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #6067
XR400R99
Adventurer

Quote:
CRAP! I wonder when my soon to be mine 01 was made.....better service it when I get it. Fingers crossed!
Is the seized swing arm pivot bolt problem predominantly on 01 and later?
Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #6068
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

[QUOTE=XR400R99;21621760]Is the seized swing arm pivot bolt problem predominantly on 01 and later?
Thanks[/QUOTE

I'd really like a clarification on that as well. The post above mine said they ran out of lube in mid 2001.....as in they stopped putting enough in me finks.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #6069
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 976
Call me ignorant, lazy, or just not into fixing things that aren't broken, but why so much fuss over the swing arm pivot? The thought of tearing my bike apart to that extent and possibly doing more harm than good just to get it out, lube it and put it back in again just sounds silly to me. Sure, I'll delve into it with full enthusiasm if I need to get the engine out of the frame, or if the pivot point shows wear to the point of needing attention, but my bike has 10,000+ HARD, ABUSIVE trail miles on it, and I've never touched the rear suspension more than adjustments and infrequent checks for wear. So far, all of the pivots appear to be fine.

If I am really that bad of a person, I guess I am ready to go to the meetings.
"I'm Ryan, and I am an XR abuser."
"Hi Ryan."
Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #6070
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Call me ignorant, lazy, or just not into fixing things that aren't broken, but why so much fuss over the swing arm pivot? The thought of tearing my bike apart to that extent and possibly doing more harm than good just to get it out, lube it and put it back in again just sounds silly to me. Sure, I'll delve into it with full enthusiasm if I need to get the engine out of the frame, or if the pivot point shows wear to the point of needing attention, but my bike has 10,000+ HARD, ABUSIVE trail miles on it, and I've never touched the rear suspension more than adjustments and infrequent checks for wear. So far, all of the pivots appear to be fine.

"Hi Ryan."
Yeah, worrying about that stuff is just plain dumb. Sure it is, honest!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6071
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
OH YEAH! Now that you mention it I remember the A Loop kits when I had my XR600R! WOnder if they are still available. That tank looks great.
Yep they are still in business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #6072
XR400R99
Adventurer

Quote:

"Hi Ryan."
I've had my XR for 3 months and have been checking this thread for tips and tricks. My swing arm has full travel and isn't loose. I would feel better after removing the pivot bolt and greasing the bearings. I'm going to continue riding until winter and then replace the bearings and ???
Thanks to all who have been here and reported their findings.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #6073
Luke
GPoET&P

[QUOTE=Sniper X;21621847]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR400R99 View Post
Is the seized swing arm pivot bolt problem predominantly on 01 and later?
Thanks[/QUOTE

I'd really like a clarification on that as well. The post above mine said they ran out of lube in mid 2001.....as in they stopped putting enough in me finks.

Just a joke.

But, I've pulled the bolt on a half dozen bikes and the newer ones were harder. Probably the condition, not age. None of them required any sort of torch or saw, though. Usually a small hammer and punch, sometimes a big hammer.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #6074
skahuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:

"Hi Ryan."
This is a good point. I wouldnt have gone through all that ag if i didnt have to replace the countershaft

That was almost 3 years ago

skahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #6075
New2dualsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Anyone got a lowering link for a XR 400 for sale? Figured I would see if someone had one kicking around before buying new.
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote