ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #6181
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Or a Lowes they also have a good assortment of metric fasteners.
In England??? Pay attention guys.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #6182
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
In England??? Pay attention guys.
oh yeah, like everyone reads the OPs location! I guess on this site we should!
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #6183
hughrk
Adventurer
 
hughrk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
oh yeah, like everyone reads the OPs location! I guess on this site we should!
Yes you should!!!!!!!! And its M14, probably 1.5 but could be 1.75, just take the bolt when you go nut shopping, remember to get some stout washers as well..... The original nut has a wide shoulder so a washer is req with a non std nut.
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #6184
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 872
Two questions:

1. Is there any advantage to running a 5.10, 130, or 140 width tire on the rear for our bikes? I'd prefer economy, but if that extra 10-30 mm is really a big deal, I'd like to know why? I have the 4.60 shinko 244 on the rear right now and it looks kinda narrow compared to the tires I've been getting before (take-offs from baja 1000/500 winner Colton Udall.) I don't have a problem running the wider tires, but I want to know if I'd be getting much better fuel mileage and off-the-line power with the lighter, narrower tire.

2. Jetting. So I'm just going to assume the bike has stock jetting. It ran like crap at 9000 feet. It has the airbox mod with a uni filter, but that's it. I'm in the process of grinding down the welds on the inside of the exhaust (they have killed 10+ grinding stones already,) but I'm not going to do the silencer mod, I'd prefer a quieter bike over anything. I'm doing TAT this summer, I figure I'll get two sets of jets, one for 0'-7500' and one for 8000+. What would you guys recommend for both? I care more about economy than power, if that means anything.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #6185
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Two questions:

1. Is there any advantage to running a 5.10, 130, or 140 width tire on the rear for our bikes? I'd prefer economy, but if that extra 10-30 mm is really a big deal, I'd like to know why? I have the 4.60 shinko 244 on the rear right now and it looks kinda narrow compared to the tires I've been getting before (take-offs from baja 1000/500 winner Colton Udall.) I don't have a problem running the wider tires, but I want to know if I'd be getting much better fuel mileage and off-the-line power with the lighter, narrower tire.

2. Jetting. So I'm just going to assume the bike has stock jetting. It ran like crap at 9000 feet. It has the airbox mod with a uni filter, but that's it. I'm in the process of grinding down the welds on the inside of the exhaust (they have killed 10+ grinding stones already,) but I'm not going to do the silencer mod, I'd prefer a quieter bike over anything. I'm doing TAT this summer, I figure I'll get two sets of jets, one for 0'-7500' and one for 8000+. What would you guys recommend for both? I care more about economy than power, if that means anything.
mo meat if ya got the HP to spin it
__________________
209-294-9229
www.manracks.com

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #6186
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
mo meat if ya got the HP to spin it
Power, XR? There ain't much, but it's enough. I'm taking one of your racks with me on my trip. At least, I think it is. Are you out of San Diego? I'll let you know if it passes the test.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #6187
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Power, XR? There ain't much, but it's enough. I'm taking one of your racks with me on my trip. At least, I think it is. Are you out of San Diego? I'll let you know if it passes the test.
closer to sactown, thats great give it hell ok and ride safe
__________________
209-294-9229
www.manracks.com

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #6188
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
closer to sactown, thats great give it hell ok and ride safe
Aha, guy who built my rack does them out of SD, my mistake! I'll buy one of yours if his doesn't make it, haha.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #6189
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Aha, guy who built my rack does them out of SD, my mistake! I'll buy one of yours if his doesn't make it, haha.
well lets hope it holds up, that's the main thing
__________________
209-294-9229
www.manracks.com

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #6190
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer
 
xr400r's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: riding usa
Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Two questions:

1. Is there any advantage to running a 5.10, 130, or 140 width tire on the rear for our bikes? I'd prefer economy, but if that extra 10-30 mm is really a big deal, I'd like to know why? I have the 4.60 shinko 244 on the rear right now and it looks kinda narrow compared to the tires I've been getting before (take-offs from baja 1000/500 winner Colton Udall.) I don't have a problem running the wider tires, but I want to know if I'd be getting much better fuel mileage and off-the-line power with the lighter, narrower tire.

2. Jetting. So I'm just going to assume the bike has stock jetting. It ran like crap at 9000 feet. It has the airbox mod with a uni filter, but that's it. I'm in the process of grinding down the welds on the inside of the exhaust (they have killed 10+ grinding stones already,) but I'm not going to do the silencer mod, I'd prefer a quieter bike over anything. I'm doing TAT this summer, I figure I'll get two sets of jets, one for 0'-7500' and one for 8000+. What would you guys recommend for both? I care more about economy than power, if that means anything.
More tire is not always a good thing. Depending on the bike and the riding intent/style. To much tire can be a bad thing. Too much traction and not enough power could decrease performance
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #6191
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 31,775
I have run the 120 rear (D606) on mine and not an issue at all..a friend gave me his 130 606 and so far, I think I like it better than the 120...but I always have the option of going back to the 120...as for puttin on a 140, I don't think it will fit as that 130 sure takes up alot of room back there as it is..now, as for your TAT trek, I would think the 120 would be your best bet.

On your jetting, get both sets of jets..best to have them and not need them than it is to need them and not have them
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #6192
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,305
After seeing MANY overtyre their plated Sumos, I tend to go smaller than the norm on tyres. On my current XR400R it still has the stock tyres from 2001, and both are still in great shape. It DOES only have about 100hrs on it total though. I am replscing them with MT21s OR getting a set of SM wheels and lacing them to my hubs and getting Heidenaus, or Distanzias of even MT60s if I can find a deal on them.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #6193
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,313
do these supermoto wheels have cush hubs?
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #6194
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
do these supermoto wheels have cush hubs?
I don't remember the ones I got for my XR600 if they did or not, I am going to say they didn't. BUT I did ride that thing on the road 98% of the time, was NOT easy on it.....wheelies, stoppies, ran it HARD. and NEVER had a problem with trans or anything.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #6195
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughrk View Post
Yes you should!!!!!!!! And its M14, probably 1.5 but could be 1.75, just take the bolt when you go nut shopping, remember to get some stout washers as well..... The original nut has a wide shoulder so a washer is req with a non std nut.
I should.....
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014