User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #6571
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Greetings All!

Over the last 10 days my XR4 has gotten more and more difficult to start.
Question, can you have spark but too weak to be adequate?
A bad CDI or ?

What I have ruled out:
Carb 3 months new, checked for cleanliness anyway, pass.
Stator 3 months new
Fuel tank removed, drained, replaced decomposing petcock, fuel line, inline filter
New spark plug, 2nd new spark plug
Removed resistor from plug cap
Checked cam timing, pass
Checked and regap valves, pass
New o ring on non leaking intake manifold
New air filter

Help!!!

Thanks in advance for all tips and help!!!

XR400R99 screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 11:29 PM
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #6572
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR400R99 View Post
Greetings All!

Over the last 10 days my XR4 has gotten more and more difficult to start.
Question, can you have spark but too weak to be adequate?
A bad CDI or ?

What I have ruled out:
Carb 3 months new, checked for cleanliness anyway, pass.
Stator 3 months new
Fuel tank removed, drained, replaced decomposing petcock, fuel line, inline filter
New spark plug, 2nd new spark plug
Removed resistor from plug cap
Checked cam timing, pass
Checked and regap valves, pass
New o ring on non leaking intake manifold
New air filter

Help!!!

Thanks in advance for all tips and help!!!

Some list.

Yes, you can have visible spark that is still poor. You want the spark to be “fat” and blue-ish (and not yellow-ish). A healthy XR4 does not have the fat, blue sparks some bikes to, but it looks semi fat and bluish… if that makes sense.

CDI problems are rear in the XR4, but anything can happen I guess.

You might want to check:
All electrical connections (including frame/ignition coil and the ground wire)
The Ignition coil (specially if the bike runs worse after a few minutes)
Compression (maybe you have some engine wear, sticking ring or bad valve?)

G600 screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 10:31 AM
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #6573
XR400R99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
Some list.

Yes, you can have visible spark that is still poor. You want the spark to be “fat” and blue-ish (and not yellow-ish). A healthy XR4 does not have the fat, blue sparks some bikes to, but it looks semi fat and bluish… if that makes sense.

CDI problems are rear in the XR4, but everything can happen I guess.

You might want to check:
All electrical connections (including frame/ignition coil and the ground wire)
The Ignition coil (specially if the bike runs worse after a few minutes)
Compression (maybe you have some engine wear, sticking ring or bad valve?)
Hi,
The compression is great, I checked all of the connection, all ok. It runs great, just got so, so hard to start, ran great after firing up, no stalling. It just won't start now. I know it's possible for new parts to fail but I'm 99% sure it's not carb related. The various ignition system parts are the parts that haven't been updated by me.
Thanks!
XR400R99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #6574
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Hi,
The compression is great, I checked all of the connection, all ok. It runs great, just got so, so hard to start, ran great after firing up, no stalling. It just won't start now. I know it's possible for new parts to fail but I'm 99% sure it's not carb related. The various ignition system parts are the parts that haven't been updated by me.
Thanks!
Wow, that is some problem.

If I had similar problems I would question myself and go over the basics again. Check if the valves are 100% certainly OK, double check the jetting (uncorking, 62 pilot, fuel screw 2.25 turns should make starting easy, but may require rejetting later) double check the spark plug cab for corrosion, etc.

But I guess you already have gone through everything a few times.

Please keep us posted.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #6575
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
how do you wipe out a single brake pad?

Wish I could help but I threw away all my old pads..what sux is that SOB honda dealer there in Liberal is CLOSED on SATURDAYS! Hopefully you got it fixt on friday!
Looked like they were closed for good. I was able to push on. Check my rr for the story later
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #6576
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Looked like they were closed for good. I was able to push on. Check my rr for the story later
For those who may be interested in reading, here's my XR400 on the TAT ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912115
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #6577
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Well, I may have solved my starting issues with the Pumper carb, but now I have an idling issue. With the choke on, the bike idles at high RPM as one would expect. It pops and sputters if i twist the throttle, again as expected. Once it is warm, I shut the idle off, and the bike will idle without issue if it is over Approx 1500 RPM, however, if I let it lower, it will start sputtering, and eventually stall.

This sounded like a vacuum issue to me, so when I had it idled low, I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner right where the front boot connects the carb to the cylinder. The idle went up, confirming that there is a leak there. I took the rubber boot off the cylinder head and gave it a close inspection, no holes or issues. I re-clamped it, and same thing.

I can only surmise the carb itself has a leak on the top where I was spraying it.

I plan to contact XRs Only tomorrow to see if they have any thoughts on the matter.

So, my carb is on it's way back from XRs Only. They had it a couple of weeks, but did finally test it and confirmed what I already knew, the throat sleeve they installed was leaking air. So, they sealed it, and it is on it's way here.

Carb installed, and it is idling, and running well. It was a bit rough starting, but this is ok for the first attempt since it was dry. So far it looks good. I definitely get better power distribution - wheelies in 1st and 2nd. I am bringing it to the track tonight.
AndyCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #6578
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
For those who may be interested in reading, here's my XR400 on the TAT ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912115
Cool. I put the link in the XR4 Index under 'Rides'.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #6579
IvanX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Hi IvanX,

Yes

Good Luck!

Thanks.
IvanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #6580
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
preload spacers on a 2001 XR4R length and diameter please!

Need to knwo what diameter of PVC to use for the preload spacers I need for the 01 XR4. And what length should I start with for a 190lb rider for more initial stiffness in the travel.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #6581
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Need to knwo what diameter of PVC to use for the preload spacers I need for the 01 XR4. And what length should I start with for a 190lb rider for more initial stiffness in the travel.
I weigh 100 more pounds than you do and I don't have any preload spacers in my forks and I thought they were too stiff as it were. I just made the adjustment underneath (on the bottom side of the forks)..my adjustment ranged from 1 to 24 clicks..I set it on 13 and so far I love that setting..no more jaring of the handlebars when I hit a pot hole and any whoops are smooth. I also set the top adjustment (it ranged from 1 to 4 clicks) at 2.

I can understand and see why someone would want to put in spacers if their springs are a little weak, and maybe yours are..but try those adjustment I just gave and see if that works for ya..good luck
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #6582
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 394
Anyone have the gas tank mounts and a stock petcock or knowledge of what aftermarket petcock fits? Stocker Carby. Bought an aftermarket clear tank with no hardware. Thanks ahead people.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #6583
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
Anyone have the gas tank mounts and a stock petcock or knowledge of what aftermarket petcock fits? Stocker Carby. Bought an aftermarket clear tank with no hardware. Thanks ahead people.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
is it an Acerbis tank? Usually takes the stock petcock. I might have a petcock that will fit but let me look.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #6584
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
Except for the Acerbis tank, it should use the stock hardware and petcock. You just transfer it over from the OEM tank.

When you do transfer the petcock over, there is a little round rubber grommet that I would recommend replacing while you have it off. It will help keep a good seal so it doesn't leak.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #6585
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I weigh 100 more pounds than you do and I don't have any preload spacers in my forks and I thought they were too stiff as it were. I just made the adjustment underneath (on the bottom side of the forks)..my adjustment ranged from 1 to 24 clicks..I set it on 13 and so far I love that setting..no more jaring of the handlebars when I hit a pot hole and any whoops are smooth. I also set the top adjustment (it ranged from 1 to 4 clicks) at 2.

I can understand and see why someone would want to put in spacers if their springs are a little weak, and maybe yours are..but try those adjustment I just gave and see if that works for ya..good luck
I thknk they are sagged a bit since the guy who owned the bike before me was 6'6" and 290lbs. When I opened them to check the oil level, the springs were even with the top of the fork tube, not above it when fully uncompressed.