ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #826
RickRen
AdvRider China
 
RickRen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Beijing, China
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Is the 250R different from the 250L? Thinking again, I think it might be te 250L that the 650L tank fits...???????????
Those 2 tanks are different on the rear side, as I know.
__________________
*****************************************
2001 XR400R
2009 XT660Z Tenere
*****************************************
RickRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #827
RickRen
AdvRider China
 
RickRen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Beijing, China
Oddometer: 76
[quote=christopher miller]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRen




why are there two shocks in this pic?
I tried to put the longer shock on to my bike, but it doesn't fit
__________________
*****************************************
2001 XR400R
2009 XT660Z Tenere
*****************************************
RickRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #828
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass
 
LaOutbackTrail's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRen
Those 2 tanks are different on the rear side, as I know.
The XR650L tank DOES NOT fit on the XR400...
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #829
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass
 
LaOutbackTrail's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 5,058
[quote=RickRen]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher miller
I tried to put the longer shock on to my bike, but it doesn't fit
How do you like the auxiliary tank? What sort of fuel pump did you use?

Thanks
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #830
RickRen
AdvRider China
 
RickRen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Beijing, China
Oddometer: 76
[quote=LaOutbackTrail]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRen

How do you like the auxiliary tank? What sort of fuel pump did you use?

Thanks
The auxiliary tank is not bad for rally racing, but no so well for trail. Because the tail of the bike will be waving when the auxiliary tank is not empty. Also you need another support for the tank between the frame and the side stand root, to protect it from the spocket. I will post some pics of the support later.
I didn't put on any pump till now, but I have one mikuni DF52-21-D pump on my wish list. So there will be less than 1L in the tank left. But it's not so easy to get all the stuffs in China, so I have to wait.
__________________
*****************************************
2001 XR400R
2009 XT660Z Tenere
*****************************************
RickRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #831
screwit
One more time
 
screwit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: New Mexico (yes it is a State)
Oddometer: 847
tank

One last try before buying new. Looking for a desert tank for my 400 will pay cash or trade an arai XD xxl for it.
screwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #832
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass
 
LaOutbackTrail's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrider
One last try before buying new. Looking for a desert tank for my 400 will pay cash or trade an arai XD xxl for it.
racedawg has one
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #833
tworr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Oddometer: 14
New Tank and Tires

My XR400 - New parts and getting ready for plates.

XR650L tank, Baja Designs dual sport kit, tires - MEFO Explorers, new chain and sprockets.








I had hand cut and perforated these graphics a while back and never installed them on my old tank. I think they look pretty good on the new tank. Now to see if perforating the 16mil vinyl will make it stick longer.
(3-mil blk on 3-mil wht on 16-mil red vinyl)



tworr screwed with this post 02-16-2009 at 10:30 AM
tworr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #834
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass
 
LaOutbackTrail's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
So how did you fit the XR650L tank on there? I tried and didnt really find it to be easy???
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #835
tworr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Oddometer: 14
I ordered the XR650L tank and xR400 mount kit brackets from just gas tanks.
It didn't seem to be as difficult as I was expecting, but it wasn't a cake walk either. Maybe the brackets were a little closer to spec than others.

I found the left side to be more difficult to work with so I got the threads started on that side first. Then I was able to get the other side pressed into position.
Thickness of the foam under the tank seemed to make a difference. I used the rubber support on the bottom(seat end) that was under my original tank and I used a short piece of 1/2" thick pipe wrap to support the weight of the top. I first tried to use a piece of 7/8" thick foam noodle and it was too thick. I would like to try the foam noodle again and see if I zip tied or taped it down that I could work with it better.

I hope this helps.
tworr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #836
Gringacho
Una Aventura Loca
 
Gringacho's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Who the hell knows anymore?
Oddometer: 740
Rear Wheel Question

I just bought a '96 "fixer upper" and am learning about these XR's on the fly. I'm a complete newbie to these thumpers.

It needs a good amount of loving and parts to get her back from the dead.

I've found several rear wheels for sale on TT and flea-bay, yet where can I find a list of wheels that will fit my bike?

Will the following rear wheel applications fit a 1996 XR400?

2001 XR200R?
06 CR250?
CRF250/450?
2001 CR500?
2003 XR250R?
Gringacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #837
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass
 
LaOutbackTrail's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworr
I ordered the XR650L tank and xR400 mount kit brackets from just gas tanks.
It didn't seem to be as difficult as I was expecting, but it wasn't a cake walk either. Maybe the brackets were a little closer to spec than others.

I found the left side to be more difficult to work with so I got the threads started on that side first. Then I was able to get the other side pressed into position.
Thickness of the foam under the tank seemed to make a difference. I used the rubber support on the bottom(seat end) that was under my original tank and I used a short piece of 1/2" thick pipe wrap to support the weight of the top. I first tried to use a piece of 7/8" thick foam noodle and it was too thick. I would like to try the foam noodle again and see if I zip tied or taped it down that I could work with it better.

I hope this helps.
The XR400 brackets and foam are the key aye? hmmmm looks like i'll have a super tanker for Mexico after all.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #838
tworr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
The XR400 brackets and foam are the key aye? hmmmm looks like i'll have a super tanker for Mexico after all.
It looks like you have a XR650L, so the brackets that come with the Acerbis tank should work for you. My tank came with a XR650L mount kit and brackets, but I ordered the XR400 brackets to make it work on my bike because I have a 2003 XR400.

The XR400 bracket is a much simpler design compared to the ones that came with the tank, so maybe that is why I had less trouble mounting this tank.

I used the foam to help support the weight of the tank. I read on here that people were having problems with their brackets cracking from stress and used foam to help cushion their tanks. I also read that adding heat foil to the underside of the tank might be a good idea. I'm wondering what the heat will do to the foam. Especially the "noodle" foam.


------------------------------------------------------------ Just Gas Tanks - "All Acerbis Fuel Tanks include a new cap and new mounting hardware with Petcocks."

XR650L Acerbis Fuel Tank * Part #/Years/Capacity: - 2142480229 93-96 5.8gal XR RED $215.99

XR400 Acerbis Fuel Tank Mount kit * Part #/Years/Capacity: - MOUNT KIT ONLY 96-06 (no petcocks) $15.00 ------------------------------------------------------------

tworr screwed with this post 02-17-2009 at 08:36 AM
tworr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #839
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 32,478
are the 650 tank brackets available from dealer or they after market? Have any pix of the brackets??
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #840
tworr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
are the 650 tank brackets available from dealer or they after market? Have any pix of the brackets??
It's Acerbis's aftermarket bracket. It will be tomorrow before I can upload any pictures of these brackets.

I will also try and get a couple of pictures of the stock 400 bracket and the bracket that I ordered for this tank.
tworr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014