Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #976
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart
Mine runs great with stock pipe but something must have been done by a PO, its loud! Insert is gone for example.

Are there any recommendations on springs? A brand to avoid, a brand to look for?
Ill get help to adjust the suspension for me and my riding and try to learn how its done.
nope. the fork springs are set (according to the Race Tech calculator) for a 90 pound rider and the rear shock spring is set for a 200 pound rider. don't ask me. at the very least it's nice to even them out. you can use Eibach springs or Race Tech-- your choice. they both run about 100 for the pair and rear can be 100 as well. Race Tech has great calculator. find it here:

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

(click on the red link)

Eibach springs are found here:

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...10483100005452

most after market fork springs are shorter than stock and require you to cut a piece of pvc (schedule 80 preferred) to make a spacer. sometimes they come with a piece of aluminum. easy as pie. progressive springs are more expensive but seriously, our suspensions are nothing fancy. i doubt we could tell the difference. getting the bike set for you weight makes a big difference. a pro can re-valve and really make it plush.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #977
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,527
anyone have a quite tip for 97/98 spark arrestor?

looking for:
-quite is cool
-vortip
-baja designs
-others?

pm me if so thanks
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #978
eakins
Butler Maps

here's a good FAQ for noob XR4 owners:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums...d.php?t=172436
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #979
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,503
So, after a new top end, my bike is running sweet! But it still has a slight bog off idle when I whack the throttle open too quickly, and also a slight bog occasionally in the whoops. Would the pumper carb solve the whoop issue?

Also, I'm getting sick of this White Bros. exhaust. Sure, I love the BRRRAaaaaap! , but the thing is friggin' loud, even with most of the discs out (anymore and I can definitely feel it running weird). How much power would I really lose by going back to a stock exhaust (if I can find one)?

The motor in this thing is one of those you can fall in love with I think... kinda like my 950, it has "character". Something satisfying about how it feels.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #980
dirtriding
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 7
The bog is normal. A pumper will work if your willing to spend the money. I jetted a jet richer and it has helped alot with the stock carb but it uses a bit more fuel
dirtriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #981
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriding
The bog is normal. A pumper will work if your willing to spend the money. I jetted a jet richer and it has helped alot with the stock carb but it uses a bit more fuel

I may play with the jetting a bit- looks like it's stock now (but I'm at 7,000 ft and up). Maybe up a bit in the pilot?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #982
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Hayduke, if it's bogging/cutting out in the whoops and rough terrain, you should check your float levels. Honda didn't set a max float drop, or if they did, it's too dang much. It's usually around 25mm. Needs to be set to 19mm. Then also make sure your minimum drop is 14.5mm like the shop manual says.

A hesitation when "whacking" the throttle off idle is normal. It's very hard to tune out with the stock carb.

If you can find a stock exhaust, do the Gordon mod to it and don't look back. If not, maybe an FMF Q series.

Don't know what your jetting is now, but with an UNI air filter and modded exhaust, for your elevation a 150/50 combo with the needle 2nd from top ran pretty good for me in your neck of the woods, back when I was still running the stocker.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #983
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I may play with the jetting a bit- looks like it's stock now (but I'm at 7,000 ft and up). Maybe up a bit in the pilot?
duke,
i run 150/50, gordon mods, 3rd clip on needle, uni filter, pulled snorkle, iridium plug w/plug cap mod & fuel screw http://koubalink.com/fuelscrew.html .
runs great from moab to 10K or so, then gets a little rich.
fuel screw is the key to fine tuning.
my trails (hahns peak area) top out lower than yours.

0000 ft > 160 / 60
1600 ft > 158 / 58
3200 ft > 155 / 55
5000 ft > 152 / 52
6500 ft > 150 / 50
9800 ft > 148 / 48

xrs actually like to be run a little lean so i'd say jet at 148/48 for your riding.

since the bike only holds 2 qts of oil i go for the very best because of heat and abuse: redline oil
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...&categoryID=11
tried amsoil, motul, maximum & silkolene and i like redline's the best.
it shifts like butta.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 03-25-2009 at 09:19 PM
Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #984
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42
Hayduke, if it's bogging/cutting out in the whoops and rough terrain, you should check your float levels. Honda didn't set a max float drop, or if they did, it's too dang much. It's usually around 25mm. Needs to be set to 19mm. Then also make sure your minimum drop is 14.5mm like the shop manual says.

A hesitation when "whacking" the throttle off idle is normal. It's very hard to tune out with the stock carb.

If you can find a stock exhaust, do the Gordon mod to it and don't look back. If not, maybe an FMF Q series.

Don't know what your jetting is now, but with an UNI air filter and modded exhaust, for your elevation a 150/50 combo with the needle 2nd from top ran pretty good for me in your neck of the woods, back when I was still running the stocker.
i may play with the needle the summer and try 2nd from the top.
that would make the bike run a little leaner (than the 3rd clip) on the pilot to main jet transition as the needle sit down in there giving less fuel on the main.

how did you come up with 2nd clip???
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #985
[poser]
the un-original

Oddometer: 77
picked up a '98 xr4 today, pretty stoked!

it needs some TLC, but the price was pretty good.

Any tips/advice?
-Banksy
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #986
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
So, after a new top end, my bike is running sweet! But it still has a slight bog off idle when I whack the throttle open too quickly, and also a slight bog occasionally in the whoops. Would the pumper carb solve the whoop issue?

Also, I'm getting sick of this White Bros. exhaust. Sure, I love the BRRRAaaaaap! , but the thing is friggin' loud, even with most of the discs out (anymore and I can definitely feel it running weird). How much power would I really lose by going back to a stock exhaust (if I can find one)?

The motor in this thing is one of those you can fall in love with I think... kinda like my 950, it has "character". Something satisfying about how it feels.
first: yes. pumper carbs fix the whack-wide-open throttle bog. you CAN tune that out but you need dedication and a hand full of jets.

second: as usual Trailryder is right on. floats probably aren't set quite right. so when you hit the whoops the floats are flinging up and down and messing with your fuel delivery. this really shouldn't happen.

three: you won't miss a thing without that White Brothers. I have an FMF Powercore IV which weighs about half of what a stocker weighs and won't make sound anywhere, anytime. don't forget, wide open exhausts let loose the top-end speed, but rob the lower end. and since this bike really is more of a tractor/stump puller, you'll probably appreciate the extra grunt. go with the stocker and drill it. if you have to make sound anywhere, use a #2 bit and you can thread the holes to accept machine screws. four holes in mine and will not make sound. one hole close up and she squeaks right under.

four:the bike just rocks. suspension aside. i really wanted this motor and trans in an aluminum frame with proper USD forks and a real shock. then they put out the CRF450 which revs to the moon with a skirtless piston and is NOT a real woods bike.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #987
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

BobbySands,

What do you mean by "make sound?" Do you mean pass a sound test? Word around here is they are going to start sound checks at one of our local OHV areas.

I'm going to start trying to tune out the bog and reset the floats.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #988
ValkyrieRider
1520cc of Adventure.

Oddometer: 1,289
I did it.

Well I went and joined the XR400 club. Picked up this cherry 2001 from a guy in Kiowia yesterday. He had a track in his back yard and let me rip around it. What a great ride. Now if we don't have snow up to our you know what, I might get to take it out next week.

Here are some pics the guy emailed me. He took them last year but the bike still looks the same.
Eddie.
1997 Valkyrie Star 'n Stripes.
2001 XR400R
ValkyrieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #989
ValkyrieRider
1520cc of Adventure.

Oddometer: 1,289
1997 Valkyrie Star 'n Stripes.
2001 XR400R
ValkyrieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #990