Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #106
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxdirtbag
I am curious about the windshield setup. I have been looking a little for a windshield myself. Is that a purchased XR400 aftermarket item or in-house developed?
Hi
It's just a after market screen that mount's on to the Bar's
it works a treat on the road section's and come's off in seconds , just losen the 2 wing nut's and slide it out.
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #107
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
What are yalls thoughts on an XR400 to race the Baja? My brother is racing in 2009 on a CRF450X... since he has money, and I have my eye on a 400 thats close and cheap... I might try and keep up with big bro.

thoughts?

Edit: And then the bike would become my wife's dualsport.... and my trail bike....
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #108
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
What are yalls thoughts on an XR400 to race the Baja? My brother is racing in 2009 on a CRF450X... since he has money, and I have my eye on a 400 thats close and cheap... I might try and keep up with big bro.

thoughts?

Edit: And then the bike would become my wife's dualsport.... and my trail bike....
XR400's used to be the bike of choise for the Dakar rider's on a budget,
and engine is almost bulit proof.

Fit a Big Tank and Go for it.

All the Best

Dazzer
Old 01-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #109
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail

thoughts?

why not. have precsion concepts do the suspension work.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #110
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by K75STER
Just found a 2003 xr400 in the local area, trying to get over to see it.

Read through this entire thread and it seem that everyone who has, (or had), one loves (d) it.
Just wondering if this year or any for that matter, had any issues, quirks, etc....I realize it's a Honda, just thought to ask! Thanks!
Before I bought mine, I had a choice between the XR and a KTM 450EXC, both are same 2003 models and selling price. I know that the EXC has more power, better suspension, and a lot of good stuff. More bang for the buck!

It boils down to reliability, simplicity, and parts availability. I have a KTM 640A and everytime I need to replace some maintenance items, I have to wait 3 to 4 days. The XR, I can simply drive a few miles away to the parts store and get my parts outright.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #111
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,697
w00t!

Or should I say "BRRAAAAaaappp!"

I got my XR plated and insured today....she's all street legal!

Finally got a little ride in. It's 20 degrees, windy, and nearly everything is iced up, so I didn't go far, but I was able to play on a few muddy roads. Woohoo! This thing has some torque! It runs really strong. I like the sound of the White Bros. E series exhaust, but I need to find a spark arrestor for it (it's the older style- anyone have sources?).

A few things to work out- it's not set up for me very well. I need to raise the bars, and roll them forward. The PO had the shock preload set alot softer than I like, so a minor adjustment is in order. Also, it's missing the front number plate. Not a big deal, but it's kinda ugly without it.

I stopped for a couple of pics before hitting the dirt road-

note the faster lavender horn.

This thing is gonna be FUN!!!

BTW- it's 20 degrees, but following Eurobiker's procedure, she fired up on the second kick.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #112
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

Finally got a little ride in. It's 20 degrees, windy, and nearly everything is iced up, so I didn't go far, but I was able to play on a few muddy roads. Woohoo! This thing has some torque! It runs really strong. I like the sound of the White Bros. E series exhaust, but I need to find a spark arrestor for it (it's the older style- anyone have sources?).

A few things to work out- it's not set up for me very well. I need to raise the bars, and roll them forward. The PO had the shock preload set alot softer than I like, so a minor adjustment is in order. Also, it's missing the front number plate. Not a big deal, but it's kinda ugly without it.

BTW- it's 20 degrees, but following Eurobiker's procedure, she fired up on the second kick.
Hi

If it help's I bought a set of bar risers from this chap

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/ba...n-frameset.htm

they are very well made,and with them being off set,make's a big difference when riding standing on the peg's.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #113
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
are you talking about rotating the bars upwards? that's easy. do you know what protaper bend you have? that helps. you have SE bars. cr high is the gold standard (60mm sweep is the key!) for xrs. are you larger in that you need to bars more forward to open the cockpit. if so the those forward risers are the key OR do you just need a taller bar? if so here's the charts: http://www.protaper.com/contents/pro...lebars/se.html check out the yamaha mini bend.
tag makes a cr double hi.
also a cheap and easy riser only option are the $20 adjustable ones from rocky mtn atv.
do you ever get questioned about a spark arrestor? forest guys see my tag and wave me on.
nice horn. i don't have one.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #114
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Hayduke, your bike is nice. I think 1998-99 are the best looking years for XRs.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #115
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer
Hi

If it help's I bought a set of bar risers from this chap

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/ba...n-frameset.htm

they are very well made,and with them being off set,make's a big difference when riding standing on the peg's.

<accent=australian> Heh, those aren't risers. These are risers: </accent>

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #116
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

You need to take codys out with you and get him hooked on the thumpers.

paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #117
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
are you talking about rotating the bars upwards? that's easy. do you know what protaper bend you have? that helps. you have SE bars. cr high is the gold standard (60mm sweep is the key!) for xrs. are you larger in that you need to bars more forward to open the cockpit. if so the those forward risers are the key OR do you just need a taller bar? if so here's the charts: http://www.protaper.com/contents/pro...lebars/se.html check out the yamaha mini bend.
tag makes a cr double hi.
also a cheap and easy riser only option are the $20 adjustable ones from rocky mtn atv.
do you ever get questioned about a spark arrestor? forest guys see my tag and wave me on.
nice horn. i don't have one.
Hey Bill,

I'm just used to higher bars and a more roomy cockpit, I guess. I'm very comfortable on my 950 Adventure with 30mm risers. I ordered the Rocky mountain ATV adjustale risers and will give that a try. When I install those, I'll rotate the bars way forward to see if that's enough before buying different bars. I always have to tweek that stuff to suit my riding, so no big deal.

I've never been asked about a spark arrestor, but I'm thinking it'd be good to have in places like Fourmile and the rainbow trail. Also, I was told that it would help make the bike quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paochow
You need to take codys out with you and get him hooked on the thumpers.
It shouldn't take much. He needs to sell that street bike of his.

Hayduke screwed with this post 01-31-2008 at 08:12 AM
Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #118
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///

I just (re)found this ride report.....2 XR's in Morrocco, by ERIC DN.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201472

Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #119
fhammond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
How would an XR400R be for TAT?

I'm thinking about doing the Trans-America Trail this summer. Anyone done this on the XR400R? I'm wondering how it'd be. Seems like it'd be perfect for the tougher stuff over the mountains but maybe not as good for the easier east coast sections. I want something cheap and reliable, good enough the the TAT but light weight enough to have fun with it at my local ORV park. I'm thinking a street legal XR400R might be good.

fh
fhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #120
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY
kRaZy

Oddometer: 112
XR 400 on the TAT

KrAzyOSUcOwBoY screwed with this post 02-02-2008 at 09:35 AM
KrAzyOSUcOwBoY is offline   Reply With Quote