User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #46
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Thumb trip continued

Third times the charm right??? I lost it again. Once at 11pm last night and again this morn.

Feb 5 - Tues

We woke up to about an 1" of fresh snow. I did not sleep well that night and was up off and on trying to keep the wood fire going and from getting wet. Around midnight the wind was blowing so hard it was pushing rain through the mortar of the log cabin. We switched to a bed on an interior wall and doubled up on blankets. It was 40F in the room. The propane wall heater was not cutting it.

-Most hotels up in the mountains of Mexico ($250 pesos or more) have a wall mounted propane heater. Most of the time they work very well. We normally get a room and while unloading get it fired up and make sure it works. It can be hard to find the hotel staff when it gets late, so if anything is wrong take care of it ASAP.

We then get cleaned up, if there is hot water available, then hit the bars for food and drinks. When you get back your room it's nice and toasty. Turn it down to 1 burner from 3, unless you want to roast. Don't forget to crack the window, or you may not wake up at all.

Back to the cabin, Our only real source of heat was the fireplace, the main room stayed about 70F, but with no way to get a bed in there we were out of luck. I guess they figure who in there right mind would stay here in the winter.

At first light we were up to a breakfast feast of bananas and cookies we had gotten from town last night. It was going to be a long day, possibly, so we wanted to get a start on it. We were headed to Creel to meet up w/ the rest of the pack, about 80 miles away. I warmed up and prepped the bike, while Katie got stuff packed away.

I dropped air pressure from 30 rear/ 38 front to 21 rear/ 20 front. All of our riding so far on this trip was pavement and I was hoping that once we hit the dirt, traction would be OK to continue over the mountains in this slop. If not, it would be a long way back around.

We were ready to roll at 9:15 and it had warmed up to 40F, but was over cast. There was 3 miles of winding, hilly pavement before we got to gravel.

I had Katie walk for about an 1/8 of a mile down the road just let me get a feel for the traction, plus if I crash and died, she'd be able to get help to rescue the bike. Everything seamed fine, at least no worse than riding in WI winters, so she hopped on and we slowly made our way to the dirt road.

It would have been cool to get some pics of the falls w/ snow everywhere, as we had never seen any of those, but we both agreed it was not worth the risk.

Soon the sun popped out and our spirits were rising. I thought it was very peaceful to be in the mountains of Mexico w/ a fresh blanket of snow on everything, it was a very different perspective. Neither of us were cold and we just enjoyed the ride, must be our WI blood.

We had 60 miles to San Juanito. Normally this is a 2 hr ride in good conditions......

As we climbed from our 7,500 ft elevation the snow got deeper and temps a bit cooler, but the sun felt so good and the sights were great.

Snow sure does a great job of cleaning tires.

There was not much traffic on this road, but we were following a large truck that we didn't catch until many miles up the road. He looked at us like were from Mars or thought maybe we found a local crop for being on a bike in these conditions. I could not ride in his tracks as it was slick and like riding on ice, I had to stay in the untracked area, but then you can't see what lies underneath. My front tire hit a large rock and sent the bike all over. I thought I had saved it.....for a second, but then I hit another and we went down. It was a slow crash at about 5-10 mph in about 4" of fresh snow. I had never crashed w/ a passenger and was worried for Katie's safety.

I remember killing the motor before we hit the ground to prevent the throttle from getting stuck open if my handguards got bent. Katie was pinned under the bikes swing arm by her ankle. The right rear Gobi was ejected, and the extra thickness of the Aqualine tanks and my custom crash bars surely saved her from more severe injury. I picked up the bike and she hopped up, more worried about the camera then herself. What a trooper. I gave her photo duty while I got the bike started w/o any hassles and re-attached the Gobi w/ a ratchet strap. No damage other than a broken pot-metal H&B lock tab, that I'll fix later that night. I have a spare w/ me as I broke the same thing last year. I suppose I could just leave them unlocked, but I worry that w/ all the bouncing around I might not notice a missing bag until many miles down the road. I like leaving the straps as a last resort. $13 for the price of admission on this ride is worth it to me.

She was not shaken up and was ready to get back on the bike, not like there were any other options. I had her get off a few more time when things looked bad. I had a few more close calls, but lucked out. We climbed to about 9,000 feet and stopped for a lunch of granola bars, cookies and water around noon. We had done just 30 miles in the last 3 hrs w/ about 6" of snow being the most we had to deal w/. We had another 30 miles before we hit pavement again.

Soon after lunch we got into the construction area and found lots of clay/mud/snow/slush mix. This was hard riding because it was very wet and rutted, we were the first ones through today so far, so I could not tell what was a safe line to take. After a few miles the tough stuff let up and we got to some wider roads, ready for paving, that the sun had been warming up and melting off a lot of snow. Some places we got up to about 65mph and were making good time. We did that 30 miles in just over an hr. and arrived in San Juanito around 1:15 w/ sunny 50F weather.

We made it to Creel around 1:45 and were ready to get some real food.

It was sunny and 50F at about 7,500 ft.

Katie-my copilot/translater and all around great passenger. She's been riding for 3 yrs now, and normally rides her own 99 F650 at home. This is really the only time we ride two up anymore. Plus, she gets alot of sleep in riding behind me, how, I have no idea. She has gotten much better at "just sitting there no matter what" I know I couldn't be a passneger, I get way too nervous. Last year she was very squirmy when we hit the dirt, when you have time to look down the 3-4,000 ft drop offs and see cars down there, I would be too. I never get a chance to see that.....probably a good thing.

This year she was so much better, I would just ride like she was "a sack of pototoes", so to speak. Even when things got rough she would not move, untill the road flattened out and allowed us to safetly recompose ourselves.

We had a meal of 3 chicken burritos, 4 tacos, 1 quesadilla, hot chocolate, and a coke. I think the bill was $150 pesos. Great food. Better company.

We headed back to our room to find the rest of the crew had showed up from the early group.

We stay at Hotel Los Valles about $350 pesos/night for a single queen bed.

This is our second year on this trip w/ some of the same friends. There were first timers as well as long time Mexico Vets. 11 bikes in total. Everything from a scooter of 150cc to my 950. KLR650s and DRZ 400s being the norm.

We head off to the bars for today's story swapping, food and drinks. Don't forget the Tequila.

John and Jud

Marty, Andrew, Al

Richard, Jud, Chuck, Mark

Equipment review:

The Rekluse was a real life saver today as there was no way I could have slipped the clutch to maintain traction in the snow as well as it does. I would just concentrate on balance and slowly ease the gas on, if the rear wheel broke loose I'd let off and slowly do it again. Even starting from a dead stop, heading up hill was possible. I had the bike in 2nd gear most of the time to help from breaking the rear wheel loose so often. It never gave me any grief all day. Plus NO arm pump. Great job guys.

Another piece of gear that made all the difference was my new boots.

Last year I wore Fox Forum MX boots, I use them 90% of the time I'm off road riding, but hated the lack of traction. They are super comfortable and broke in almost emidiately. I rarely use my feet to slide around on the ground w/ so wanted to try something new.

I found the Aplinestar T3 w/ the ATV sole. I got them for my birthday present. At first they were very stiff, being mostly plastic, but after this trip they are much better. Having a lugged sole is very nice and is a big advantage when you get stuck or need to be sure footed on a heavy bike like this. At about $150 they are a great buy for any DS rider, looking for a little extra protection. My only gripe is they are not very water proof. Last year I bought a pair of Seal Skins water proof socks ($35) the tall ones for just this sort of riding and they really worked well. Great way to keep your feet warm and dry on those long wet days.

Are you still awake, or am I putting you to sleep?

cjracer screwed with this post 02-26-2008 at 10:33 AM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #47
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Feb 6 - Wed

Sunny, woke up to frost on the bikes at 7am. I goofed, the last pic was from Wed morn. You can see the frost.

Today we were heading to Batopilas. There is 60 miles of pavement before turning off and then 30 miles of dirt road. We won't see pavement until we get to Choix on the west side of the canyon.

The pavement is very good in these areas as most of it is pretty new. Most w/in the last 20 years. The dirt road conditions change from year to year as they are working on paving the road to Bato, maybe w/in the next 10 yrs. :(

We head out a 9am w/ Mark. Gas up to 8 gallons and head out. (17lts=120 pesos)

There is still frost in on some of the shaded corners so we had to take it easy this time through.

Mark in the twistys- Katie does well w/ the camera on back.

We take a break at a spot that starts to show just part of the canyons.

This is Marks first time to Barranca del Cobre (Copper Canyon).

Once we hit the dirt it's mostly all down hill from there. Switchback after switchback of views that pics don't do justice.

As you go down the temps go up, Wearing layers and having a place to easily stash them is a big help. Don't forget the camel back and plenty of water, it's a long ride for only 90 miles. No 7/11s around here.

Bato is just around the bend.

Keep an eye out for these guys, and Slow down, no need to rush.

We made it to Bato around 3pm and the temps we in the 80sF. These kids hopped on the truck in front of us, smiling and waving as we followed behind.

We stayed at the same place as last year. I'll have to fill in the name later. It's the Blue and yellow hotel about a block off the square. Martin is a great guy and speaks some English. He's always interested to hear where our adventures will take us this year. That place is ~$600 pesos a night for 2 queen size beds. They were booked for two night so we had to move a block over. It was crazy, most of the hotels were booked up. Damn tourists. Bato is changing fast and it's only been one year.

We cleaned up and found out that everyone had found a place to stay. It was off to get some beer and food........

John found these and for $85 pesos he could pass it up.

They actually tasted very good.
Thanks John

The rest of the kids in town ate cheesy poofs for the next few days on him.

We enjoyed them w/ Carta Blanca, at $3 buck a bottle how can you go wrong?

This place had an odd price policy on beer. They seemed to charge you whatever they felt like it. We were getting beer anywhere from $2.50-$4 a bottle.

Later that night there was bet that one of the locals was to pic up Richard and carry him up the steps. It all started when one of the local guys asked how much Richard weighed. You just new that something was up then.

Well...this guy took about 2 steps and collapsed. Richard picked him up and took him back to his buddies. This was at about 6pm, I wonder when they started drinking?

Richard and Bryon (Father and son)

Bryon was out most improved rider, they were both on KLR 650s. Funny thing, everyday we headed out it looked like Bryon was hauling more or his dad's gear.

They stop serving beer around 9 so unless the bars has paid off the police you get kicked out. They don't take kindly to drunks.

Mexico, What a great place.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #48
willnevergrowup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668

Instead of popcorn I guess he should be eating Cheesy Poofs!!

willnevergrowup screwed with this post 02-27-2008 at 07:10 AM
willnevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #49
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Feb 7- Thurs

This was a rest day for some, a day to do some riding w/o luggage for others.

Andrew, Bryon, Katie and Mark hooked up w/ a local guide to do some hiking.

Everyone else gassed up there bike and headed out for a ride we call the "Satevo Loop". At the end of the day you end up at the old Mission Church in Satevo. It's to the south of Bato.

We headed out round 10-11 am ish. I gassed up 5 gallons, that put me at about 7 or 8. This ride we did last year and it's a very nice/ but challenging ride. You start riding back the way you came into Bato and a few miles out you take a right turn in a rough 2-track road. Lots of busted up rock chips. Must keep your momentum up on a big bike other wise you may end up spinning and get stuck. I got a late start after trying to get a waterlogged LC4 640 ADV going from another group in Bato doing a guided tour, so I was last, but having a blast trying to catch up w/ the group. I didn't stop very often until I met up w/ the group at the lookout spot. They move a good/fast, yet safe pace.
BTW it's sunny and 70F again, perfect day for a ride.

Coming out of Bato a mile or so up the road, I was getting a little to throttle happy and I nailed a huge pothole. I thought I had a flat front tire from this for sure, as I still had only 20psi in it. After finding a large flat spot on the rim (they are starting to add up, Woody will be getting a call from me soon) I got out my dissected Camblehousefield electric air-pump and put it up to 35psi. I was amazed that the thick TKC saved the tube and it held air. I was off again, rallying to the group.

Once you get toward the top you start riding through a Pine Tree forest, the soil was damp in spots from the shade and offered great traction, there was some dust in the sunny spots but it was not that bad.

Al in a section of road.

Chuck

What is so neat about this ride is the widely varying terrain.

You start out with rocky cliff mountain climb, then you get to the top and start through the forests. Small villages start to show up now and then, w/ a few shallow stream crossings, then you pop out of the forest for a bit to see large prairies w/ green grass and small farms. Sorry no pics, too busy riding.

We then start to descend back down a very dry and dusty road to a little fork in the road that sells food and just about anything else you need. Car parts, horse/donkey shoes, truck batteries, and much more in a store not much larger than 10ft X 20ft. They a have small canopy to shield some of the sun and it looked like they were enlarging the "patio area".

They make the fresh tortillas right there, so it takes a while for everyone to get their food, but well worth the wait.

I order:
2 burritos- one chicken, one ham and cheese
1 large water (2lts I think)
2 packs of cookies, one for now, one for later.

Total came to $64 pesos. I was full and ready for the trip back.

This stop was 47 miles from Bato, we arrived at around 1pm, took off around 2pm. The temp was 80F, sunny and we were heading down from there, so it would only get warmer.

After luck you have a steep decent to a shallow stream crossing and then a steep, loose, rocky climb back up the other side. This loop has everything to keep you on your toes.

Much of the afternoon ride is terrain much like this.

When I am riding on the road everything looks dead and dry, b/c I was focused on the close up last at hand, but when you stop and look around there is so much life. This year seamed much more green that last year, w/ a lot of purple flowers on the side hills too.

I left the tienda last, I was the sweep rider, I'd done the route before and had a GPS. No worries, Craig O, had the same track and was in the lead. He'd done this loop before too. I believe a few other had GPS's also.

I came to a fork in the road and saw no more tire tracks. I had passed no other riders so I figured I was still in the back and I had seen Jud just up a head a few switch backs ago.

I followed the GPS track to the right and came up to a very rocky stream crossing. Maybe 12" deep w/ large round slippery rocks.

There on the edge were tire tracks that looked like the stopped but didn't turn around. I continued on through and a few mile up the road I come to Craig and Al sitting on the side. Waiting for everyone else.

I think my route across the stream must have been the short cut and the normal route was to the left at the fork. That would have dropped you down into a much easier crossing that the 4 wheeled vehicles take.

We wait for about a 1/2 hr and it's starting to get late. Soon we can hear bike and sure enough the other 3 meet up and we are off again. We get to Satevo as the sun is just starting to duck behind the mountains and find that John, Andrew, Chuck, and Bryon had ridden out too to see the church.

Last year they were doing a lot of brick work, as I'm sure they have been doing for many years. This year it had a new coat of paint, it looked nice, but I kind of liked it the old way. It's like they covered up all of it's history w/ a tarp.

On a side note-
-Katie and I traveled to Spain over Christmas and New years. We saw a lot of very old castles and Roman ruins. Some of those they had restored, and it was hard to tell the difference between the old and new. I guess that would mean they did a great job, but I like to be able to see what the original product looked like and how well it had endured over hundreds and sometimes thousands of years. They sure don't build stuff like they use too. That's a good and bad thing.

We arrived back in Bato around 6:30 after 78 miles. I had used about 3 gallons of fuel. Katie got the 2 of us set up w/ a different hotel for the night. Hotel Juanita. It was not too bad a place, right off the town square. $350 pesos for 2 queen beds and very hot water in the shower.

The next day we would head to El Fuerte, so I decided that gassing up tonight would be good as you never know when the gas pump attendant gets up and opens in the morn. We wanted to head out by 8am. I filled up to 8 gallons, we had 132 miles ahead of us on Fri. We figured about an 8hr day on the road. Last year this first section to the river crossing was the toughest part for the me riding 2 up. Katie had to get off several times to allow me to stand up and get up the large boulder strewn mountain cliff they call a road. I think the toughest part about this trip riding off road 2-up is that you are stuck sitting 95% of the time. When you are solo you just stand up in the rough stuff, no problem. 2-up I sit and take it slow, let the bike find traction, absorb bumps and just tool along. Most days at 7-15 mph.

We got some info from the other motorcycle tour guide that there was road construction going on and what turns to take. That was a big help. Thanks. Katie and I tend to travel slower than the rest of the group, so we normally take less beaks to keep up the pace. When you have around a 900lb setup you need to slow down, it does not stop on a dime.

Now we need to get some food and drinks.

cjracer screwed with this post 02-27-2008 at 10:15 AM
Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #50
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Feb 8- Fri

Bato to El Fuerte, 132 miles, 7 hrs on the road.

We had heard that the river was very high a few days ago from the M-Cycle tour guide. Waist high and a strong current. If we got to the river and could not get through we would have to turn around and get back to Bato before night and plan something else.

John's dad Charlie was a few days behind us and he was going to stay in Bato w/ Richard to wait for him. We'd meet up w/ them later on and finish up the trip together. They had another route planned into Sinforosa Canyon.

It was 55F at 7:45 when we headed out. Marty had left around 6:30 on the scooter. Yep, a scooter. Made all of us look like a bunch of overloaded GS tourers.

The groups today were:
Mark, Chuck, Andrew, Bryon, Katie and I.
Al, Jud and Craig O. would be heading out later after breakfast.
Marty solo.

When you head out of Bato you hook a sharp right instead of going to Satevo. This takes you to Tubares. Watch out for stray animals and spare motors.

The views are nice too.

Normally its 33 miles to the river, w/ the detour it was 37 miles. Amazing in that we bypassed that entire rocky hell section and it only added 4 miles. We were on an entire different mountain face. We made good time and were across the river by 10am. It must have gone down a lot in a few days, it was still over my front rotors and the current was strong. I walked my bags across first to check out any tricky spots. Some just blasted across, showcasing there superior riding skills. (Also know as luck)

Not wanting a re-occurrence of last years oil change demonstration, I ask for some help to walk along side to save me if my foot would find a deep hole and the current take the bike over. This bike in a strong current is like riding in a strong wind. It's large side profile w/ very little area for water to spill through really takes some surefootedness to get across. At least for me.

I would not want this bike any taller.

Thanks Marty and Chuck.

The bike ran fine the entire time in and out of the water. Those KLR are another story and have a trick of there own. You need to enter the water w/ the choke half on or the moter will cool off so fast it will die. You should also look to make sure you have your carb "T" vented up so that the carb will work when the vent lines are under water. Every bike has there issues that need to be looked over when you venture off the beaten path. Some research on your part ahead of time can save you from unneeded headaches.

Marty took off on the scooter followed by Chuck. The rest of us were just about ready to head out when the second group showed up. We stuck around to help them if they needed it, but also to watch if anyone would tip over.

No issues and we were all across and on the road again by 11am.

In Tubares we stopped for some water and a bag of chips then we were taking a new road to all of us. It's a wide dirt road used for mining operations in the area. You rise and fall following the river for many miles.

We came upon Andrew w/ a flat. He picked up a nail. (12:30)

The compressor got a work out on this trip. Saved many CO2 cartridges.

We had made it to El Fuerte by 3:30, it was 85F.
The "Hotel Guerrero at hotmail . com" Is a great place to stay right off the main square and is very popular w/ this group.

They have a nice locked up area to keep the bikes w/ very colorful flowers and 8ft tall Poinsettia plants. Here in WI we see them around Christmas, but they are only about a foot tall.

Bryon almost went under a semi truck when he ran out of talent. Showing off his war wound.
He slid out in a corner where it was very sandy on top of black top.

Even though it is very warm you need to keep any skin you do not want eaten alive by "El Tigre flies" covered. They are small nats that bite and leave large welts that feel great when you have all your gear on and can't itch them.

The food is great here, skip the tocas and go for the fish. We went out for Garlic roasted bass, w/ rice. The bill was $100 pesos w/ a Tecate beer.
The best we'd have all trip.....so we thought.

Food in Mexico can be very cheap if you eat at the road side stands and we do that often, many times it tastes more flavorful than in a restaurant. $1 tacos made fresh in front of you w/ the meat cooking right on the grill, add some fresh guacamole and it can't be beat. Don't be turned off by how the setup looks, you only live once. Follow your nose and you won't regret it.
In restaurants or other places it seamed that $10 bucks was the norm for a meal, but the food quality and taste is much better than a $10 meal at home. More like a $25-30 meal in the states around us.

Last year Katie and I would pic at our food to get rid of anything that would have most likely been washed w/ tap water.(mostly all veggies and greens) This year we lived it up and ate everything. We put a lot of lime on everything and enjoyed(it's suppose to kill the "bad" stuff). We felt no worse/ or better than last year, but enjoyed much more flavors.

In the town square at night. This is suppose to be one of the best squares in Mexico. I can't deny that. In the day time the colors from all the different flowers and trees are unbelievable. At night most of the building are lit up, kind of like Christmas, but w/o the hideous plastic figurines.

Sat we are off to the coast for a relaxing day trip on pavement.

cjracer screwed with this post 02-27-2008 at 10:20 AM
Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #51
willnevergrowup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668

The bad thing is he kind of looks like me!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #52
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Feb 9- Sat

We head out after our free breakfast of eggs and toast courtesy of the hotel.

Plan for today is a nice ride to the coast. About 75 miles, 2hrs, all paved in about 75 degree weather. Nice to be out of WI and the snow.

Marty and his rocket.

Andrew flying.

Bryon

Chuck saying hi.

Craig O, focused like a laser on getting to the beach.

Jud.

There were nine of us this ride, Mark decided to stay back and do some fishing w/ the hotel owner.

Marty made it, but had some issues w/ the sand, must be those 1.5" wide street tires.
Congrats Marty to a great ride.

After all the pics got taken it was time for some fresh seafood. It's a long ride to the coast, and staying in the canyon is worth it too, but the seafood is so good after eating tacos for a week.

Andrew approves the seafood soup.

Katie and I each had grilled garlic shrimp. It was so good I forgot to take a pic. It was mound of shrimp w/ lettuce and tortillas. MMMM....shrimp tacos, all for $8.

On the way back I filled up the tanker to see how many miles, or days I could travel w/o the worry of gassing up. The next few days we would be heading into a new area of copper canyon for everyone in this group, so not knowing where gas would be available I topped off now.

I put more fuel in than the truck did ahead of me.

I would also be leaving Katie behind, so I'll be riding solo w/ just the Gobis for the next few days. It will be nice to stand up for a change. She will take the train back to Creel and meet up w/ us in 4 days, at least that was the plan.

This will be the first time, on this trip, that I topped all the way up for an off road section. Let the testing begin.

We hit the internet cafe for a bit, then around 5pm we headed to get a snack and some provisions for the next day. We stopped for some great beef tacos right next to a Tecate Beer outlet, what could be better?

$1 tacos and about $1.50 for cold 24oz beers. After 3 tacos and 2 beers each, we left and headed back to the hotel for supper, we were eating again at 8pm.

Mark went out w/ the owner and 2 other guys to get some fish for dinner.

They caught 30 bass out of the local reservoir. No limits or fishing licenses needed, Mark spoke almost no Spanish, but had a great time. Like most things, people w/ like interests will find a way to make it work.

Great job guys, the fish was awesome.
From the cooler, to the grill, to our plate in about a half hour. That's fresh.

They could only cook a few at a time so we ate in shifts. It was well worth the wait.

Mark is on the left, Al, Craig, Jud, me.

Everyone ended up w/ about 2.5 fish. One whole fish, two fillets and some misc pieces on a plate for everyone.

After a wonderful meal and a few more beers we settled up our tap for $10 each and headed off to bed.

Today we did about 150 miles. It was sunny, 70-80F all day, ended w/ a great meal and conversation w/ our wonderful group of riders.

Tomorrow we head back into the canyon.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #53
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
OK, I ready for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
Feb 9- Sat

Tomorrow we head back into the canyon.
This is looking pretty good, I'm anxious to read more.

I'm waiting.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #54
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
CJ, you are doing great. Definitely belongs in Ride Reports. Steal all the pics you want. I have so many on that CD Bryon made that I haven't had time to look at them all.

How do you get Katie to sit still for a photo op without mugging?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #55
Gert
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 383
Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
thanks guys.

Next up was the dash.

I use a Garmin 60cx GPS 90% of the time I'm on the bike. This setup has not failed me yet and is plenty stable for off road use, but I was getting sick the Garmin cigarette power outlet wiggling out of the power socket. I bought a cheap cigarette lighter power plug off ebay for about $8 shipped and wired that in. Now I still have the Garmin power cord for the truck and this one can stay on the bike all the time. I like having the full size power plug for charging MP3 players, Cell phones and using my tire pump when needed, so that stays. Both plugs are wired to the all time 10Amp fused power leads under the dash and routed behind the headlight. I drilled a hole in the base of the Ram mount and threaded the power cord through that.

The oval plug is for my heated gear and battery charger.

So why did that one come out small like I wanted? Hmmm..
CJ,
where did you get the dashmount SAE(oval) plug??

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 AM   #56
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

It came w/ my used heated liner. Not sure where you can find it, but try your local boating supply dealer, I've found a lot of nice waterproof stuff there when needed.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #57
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

More Mexico soon, but here is how the SE 5.9 spring install went.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330345

Great bang for the buck.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #58
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
something new on CJ's bike:

pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #59
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Dang, that's pretty cool. Those Gobis have seen better days.

On a differant note. When we went to Mexico, one of the guys was on a Scooter.

Here is his story.

http://thescooterscoop.blogspot.com/2008/03/martys-dual-scoot-trip-through-mexico.html

Great job, Marty.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #60
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

2 into one pipe

Some pipe work done a few weeks ago. Making room for a tool canister and fuel transfer pump container.

Stock pipe turned into a 2into1. Used w/ single FMF silencer.

Sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone.

Noise about the same as far as I can tell. Feels like more bottom end grunt and engine braking was gained. Should be nice when trail riding this beast.

cjracer screwed with this post 04-25-2008 at 08:29 PM