ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #76
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
All is well,
We stayed in Kingston last night, very neat town.

We are in Trois Rivieres heading N. East this morn. Had a bit of a scare yesterday with the BMW but its all sorted now. It`s finally sunny out and we have about 350 miles to go today. Toronto and Montreal Traffic was very bad, and i`m surprised how very little English is spoken in Quebec.

Katie is doing great and we look forward to getting out of the cities.

cj
Dang CJ,
can't believe you're right in my back yard and didnt come in for a brew or two.
If you guys need accomodations or a garage in your travels, PM me and we hook up.
I'm about 1hr NE of Torontontonot
Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #77
Q-dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Glad to hear you both are doing great so far. Good luck on the rest of the trip.
Q-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #78
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
KTM Needs parts. We are in Goose Bay now. Getting on the ferry this evening.

My 950 needs :(

-16 tooth front sprocket
-42 tooth rear sprocket
-Chain
-New side kick stand.

If anyone in NFland has any contacts to where I may be able to get these that would be great.

I contacted Coastal Marine in St Johns, we'll see if I hear back. Not sure who is a 950 Dealer in these parts. I need them some time w/ in this coming week. They are in very bad shape, I never thought that these would be bad already. Otherwise the 950 is running great. 37,000 miles.

Later, CJ

Update from Katie yesterday:

Hey all-
Just wanting to give an update... For those who didn't know, Craig J and I are on out honeymoon, bike trip to Labrador and Newfoundland. We took a month off of work to do so, with it being so many miles to conquer. Well, all was well for the first few days, we just encountered a lot of rain along the way. Once we get to eastern Quebec, Baie Comeau, we headed north on what was mostly dirt road. then, from Labrador City, we have more dirt to the coast and a ferry.

What with me being somewhat of a novice in the dirt, this has been a challenge, however, I was feeling pretty good. Yesterday, I thought, yeah, 150 miles to Churchill Falls, no sweat. the sun was out, it was a great temperature outside, this will be a great day! Well... the road got pretty dodgy with a lot of loose gravel. One thing led to another, I was going too fast, started to fishtail, and down I went, going about 45 miles per hour. Landed on my Left side, jaw first, then shoulder, ribs, and left hip.

All I pretty much remember is flying off the bike and landing, just screaming/crying. However, much to my luck, all of my parts were moving. My left shoulder was pretty sore and painful but with full range of motion, I got a pretty good bit of road rash on my L hip where my jacket came up, and my jaw hurts a bit. The only damage to the bike was a pretty screwed up handlebar and both rearviews gone. Craig bent up the handlebar as much as he could safely, and at that point, it was 75 miles back or 75 miles to the next town. We chose to press on and made it a few hours later to churchill falls. It's tough riding a lopsided bike with a messed up shoulder, but we made it.

Luckily we met this guy before we left in Lab city, chatted, real nice dirtbike rider on a KLR (aren't KLR riders the best!?), who ended up exchanging names, addresses, phone #s, etc. His departing words were: it's good to know people around here, you never know when you might need some help. Somewhat prophetic. And I'm not terribly religious, but I always take some tokens for luck, including the St. Christopher and our Lady. This guy's name was Chris... I think it's divine intervention...

Anyways, we got a hold of him when we got in, to get a new handlebar; there was nothing in this town. He has what we need, and Craig is now heading back to Lab City to meet him somewhere along the way to get a new handlebar.

Anyways, just wanted to update y'all about our adventures. Hopefully Craig gets back soon with a new handlebar and then tomorrow we'll head to Goose Bay and to our ferry. Otherwise, our bikes have been holding up decently, I lost my horn somewhere in Quebec and Craig's supertanker's kickstand no funciona... That's a bit of a pain- we have to get the bike on the centerstand whenever he stops. We met some nice travelers going the same way who are taking some of my gear to lighten up my bike.

Well, we'll keep you posted if anything else terrible happens, but there's only 2 more days of dirt, then we're done- I am ready to be off the dirt, my body is too sore...

Perhaps we should have gone to Cancun like other newlyweds... I could be sitting on a beach now, drinking a margarita served by a hunky cabana boy... But would that have been memorable? I don't think so- I'm ok here in Labrador getting bit up by black flies and breaking my body :)

Take Care- Katie

Chris, if you're reading this thanks alot. You sure saved us. I got back to CH Falls at 2 pm like I said and spent about 3 hrs getting everything straight and fitted ready for the next day.

Katie and I made it to Goose Bay yesterday after 9hrs on the road. She's a bit sore, shaken and less confident, but we made it together.

The Supper Tanker pumping system has come to the rescue 2X so far.

Thanks,
cj
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #79
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex
Dang CJ,
can't believe you're right in my back yard and didnt come in for a brew or two.
If you guys need accomodations or a garage in your travels, PM me and we hook up.
I'm about 1hr NE of Torontontonot
Next time. You're only 1.5 days away.

We were a bit strapped for time and the exposion in Toronto set a back few hrs. Sad to hear about that.

thanks,
cj
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #80
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
CJ, just out of curiosity, is that an aluminum sprocket? I'll never tour with one of them again.

Katie, sorry to hear you are hurt, glad it's not worse. CJ, you got yerself a good'un there.

All the best,
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #81
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Hell No, those don't last 1,000 miles on my LC4.

We are in L Anse meadows, Katie is happy to be back on pavement, be in gros morne on Wed.

Yes she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz
CJ, just out of curiosity, is that an aluminum sprocket? I'll never tour with one of them again.

Katie, sorry to hear you are hurt, glad it's not worse. CJ, you got yerself a good'un there.

All the best,
Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #82
piercalif
Biciveloce

Oddometer: 406
Testful Changes

Hey I like all the changes you have made to your adventure.... Very Nice.
I just pick up a used one and wanted to customize it.
Any suggestion or what to do and what not to do?

I know I defently want a bigger gas tank... Is tourteach the only place you can get it? or there is a cheapper place?
Attached Images

piercalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #83
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Very nice, you'll love the bike.

I got mine from Justgastanks.com out of your area.

later,
cj
Old 08-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #84
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

We are in St. John's now, heading out Mon night 12am on the ferry. It was kind of a pain to find places w/ internet coming into town later. Maybe it was just me, but I found one today. So, sorry for lack of communication on my end. The dealer in St. John's got my info reguest, but shipping a small order to get there in time would have not been cost effective. Great Place to deal w/, just not a 950 dealer.

Looks like I'll limp it to NB to toys for big boys and hope they have a set of new sprockets in stock.

Thanks again,
CJ
Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #85
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Heya CJ and Katie,

Dave here (formerly no_bmw_for_me). Wifey and me just got back from our Labrador ride today. Sorry to hear about Katie's get off. As we were ploughing through some of the stuff on the Trans-Lab, I thought there could be some traps in there. Luckily, the only trap we sprung was a speed trap 15 minutes west of Churchill Falls. I got off with a warning and a lecture about another fellow (ADVer maybe?) breaking some ribs and a shoulder.

The KTM dealer in Mount Pearl is mostly an off-road KTM dealer. I tried to get a dual sport front tire from there, but they didn't have any. The kid behind the counter was incredibly helpful. The Honda dealer had a 80/100 profile Trailwing which worked, but wobbled on decel. The kid even gave me direction to the Honda dealer.

If memory serves, there on only 2 KTM dealers on the Rock. I assume you are hitting Nova Scotia next. The dealer locator only has one there, so New Brunswick is your best bet.

The ferry out of Argentia is running on 3 of 4 engines, so the crossing times have been extended - as you are surely finding out as I type this. I think they are replacing it this fall, so it seems like the company and crew have just said to heck with it on the Smallwood.

Best of luck with the rest of your trip! Hey, it's got to be easier than Mexico!

Cheers!
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #86
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Thanks David,

We are in Baddeck NS now, and it's very wet. Hoping to get parts in NB. Bike is doing OK now that we are off the dirt. it's well worn, but not getting much worse.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #87
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

No Good news.

Parts won't be available until Tues in Moncton. :(

We have to be on our way home by then.

Found parts on our way home in Concord, NH. Hope I make it that far before it looks like frisbe.

Later,
cj

cjracer screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 02:14 PM
Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #88
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
CJ, the dire condition of your sprocket it useless without PICS!

Make sure you get a photo of that bad boy before it is replaced!

Edit: You'll make it, BTW. Don't worry about it and have a great ride!
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #89
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
If you get in a pinch in Maine, call me. I'll take the stuff off my bike- 950sm. I'm in Southern maine so not much closer than Concord. I'll pm my phone #.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #90
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroads
If you get in a pinch in Maine, call me. I'll take the stuff off my bike- 950sm. I'm in Southern maine so not much closer than Concord. I'll pm my phone #.
Thanks,

We made it to Concord late today after another issue popped up.

Katie's rear wheel bearings blew up on her f650 today.

We ditched her bike and pulled the bearings out, well whats left of them in a driveway, and rode 3 hrs 2-up to Concord, NH to get the 950 taken care of on Tues and maybe scrounge up some new bearings to get her bike rolling again.

We then have to head back 160 miles to put her bike together, then start heading home.

I'll be at Freedom Cycle when they open in the Morn getting my 950 taken care of and looking for bearings.

I need bearing numbers 6203-2rs (17x40x12), 2 of them if anyone nearby has some laying around.

Later,
Cj