|07-25-2014, 12:15 PM||#1|
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Parker, CO USA
A half baked CL160 rejuvenation
I've decided to call this a rejuvenation rather than a restoration because it would sound less like a pursuit of perfection, which just wasn't economically feasable given my starting point. So a facelift or freshening up is a better description.
One of the bikes I have always wanted in my collection, is the Honda CL160. But for some reason I'd been having a hard time finding one, which probably explains why I pulled the trigger on a fairly roached out and crusty '66 CL160 that came out of Buffalo NY last year. Since I despise any bike painted an unoriginal color (yellow) I put it near the top of my project list for transformation. Just as a warning, anyone trying to restore this model, think seriously before getting involved as parts and prices for the first year, or only "real" 160 scrambler have went through the roof or mostly don't exist. Probably should have started with a better candidate. Anyway parts that shouldn't have been put back on were, due to the need to continue making progress. Parts laying around my shop tend to get lost a couple of days before they are to be installed . Most will be changed out as they hopefully will show up at some point in the future and will be easily enough changed out.
Here's a shot of the old gal before complete tear down
Bike after media blasting and painting. Got in a hurry before taking a pic, and already had the swing arm, triple tree, rear sets and center stand on!!
Added one fork (because I lost the last NOS boot in the US and probably the world) and rear wheel with shocks.
Next installed rear fender and taillight assembly. Still looking for that damned boot
Motor set in place. I know that boot is still around here someplace :oops:
Gave up looking and put aftermarket boots on, had to make progress. Both forks on and ready for front wheel and fender! Also note one crusty rear shock I'm still trying to replace.
Front fender added along with headlight bucket and speedo assembly.
Front wheel in place and beginning of electrical. Main harness attached as well as horn and ignition switch.
Starting to test electrical components with low amperage charger. Ignition system good as well as taillight. Neutral safety switch wire had break under the insulation also repaired. Carbs and air filters were next on.
Probably mentioned this before, but I put thin cardboard between the points and use low amperage that aids in tracing any wiring issues or components without heating up the coils or melting anything.
More electrical progress with coils and condenser in place.
Finally beginning to look like a CL160!!
Put the seat on temporarily, needs new rivets. Guy on ebay wanted 199.99 for 6 rivets LMAO.
And a few more details left, such as petcock, fuel lines, polishing the oil filter cover etc.
And ready for fuel and first fire up! Plus those few hard to find parts. Such as a better front heat shield. Forgot to mention the skid plate is still being worked on, talk about RARE!
Also wanted to include the original brochure from '66, as that is what I need to stay focused on :lol:
So there you have a half baked rejuvenation, which you can critique if you like, but I'm pretty sure I'm aware of the bad stuff. At least I don't have to ride a yellow scrambler around.
Next up is a C110 that some guy thought looked better in maroon...sheesh..
Recalling an old Road Trip from '72
Rizingson screwed with this post 07-25-2014 at 01:27 PM
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|