User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Oddometer: 887
Supplier for "S" fairing and side cases? R90

I'm considering adding the "S" fairing and maybe the original type of side cases (Krausers?) to my R90/6. I would need all the mounting hardware too for the cases.

Any idea where to buy? I could buy new or used depending on price and availability.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Bob's BMW.

Expect to spend give or take $2000 to 3500.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
Bob's BMW.

Expect to spend give or take $2000 to 3500.
Yep, Bob's sells the stock R90/R100 fairing, and windscreen if you want a clear one.
He also has an install kit that is cheaper than buying all the mounting hardware separately. I bought my stuff from Bob's.
I did get my smoke windscreen from "Clearview", there may be a few other options but you'll just have to look around.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,532
Siebenrock and maybe motobins.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
I'm considering adding the "S" fairing and maybe the original type of side cases (Krausers?) to my R90/6. I would need all the mounting hardware too for the cases.

Any idea where to buy? I could buy new or used depending on price and availability.
Any BMW dealer can provide you with the parts.

If money's an object, there are knock-offs available, and ebay is always a source for cheap used BMW stuff.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Yep, Bob's sells the stock R90/R100 fairing, and windscreen if you want a clear one.
He also has an install kit that is cheaper than buying all the mounting hardware separately. I bought my stuff from Bob's.
I did get my smoke windscreen from "Clearview", there may be a few other options but you'll just have to look around.

Mike
Clearview often has "factory seconds" that are indistinguishable from perfect for very low prices.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
Any BMW dealer can provide you with the parts.

If money's an object, there are knock-offs available, and ebay is always a source for cheap used BMW stuff.
Are there any available knock-offs that don't look like knock-offs? If so they may be a good deal, if not, then the bike probably looks better nekkid. I've just never knowingly seen a knock-off that didn't cheapen the overall impression of a BMW. IMHO. YMMV.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Lastrada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Here are some fairings:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/bmw/bmwboxer.htm

and you can find some side cases and mounts here: (scroll down)

http://www.bmwhucky.com/007546.html

1971 R60/5
Lastrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Watch ebay or IBMWR market place. I think I snagged my S fairing (w/o gauges) for around $200 painted and all.
The gauges are the pricey part. I think they average about $80 per if you find them, then you need the harness.
Racks can be found all day under $100 used. The krauser luggage can be had for under $500 for a nice pair.
I'm exploring options outside of krauser, though. I want something metal, top loading and not pre-drilled so I can adapt a puck system and use it on the stock racks. Holans are pretty cheap, but I'm also looking at happy trails.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,368
I've got used bags, mounts and S fairing mounting hardware and a windscreen. Send me a PM. I'm heading out for a 5 day road trip to break in my R100. I'll check in next week.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
brontotx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
If you go the factory set-up route for the fairing and don't get an install kit (Bob's or factory original), you will need the longer turn signal mount ears in addition to the other items already mentioned. Good luck.
brontotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
brontotx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
BTW, if you are patient, you can get what you want/need without spending a grand or two or more... I got really lucky last year on e-bay (after searching/looking for a year), when I saw an hour-old listing for an un-painted NOS BMW fairing AND install kit for $250 buy-it-now plus $40 shipping from the UK . After the seller admitted "guessing" at the shipping cost and saying that "they want me to buy the bloody plane", I kicked him another $50 and I got a really good deal compared to buying new (or even used since it included the complete install kit ).

Speaking of a grand or two, one additional cost you may want to consider is painting the fairing... it can get pretty expensive, especially if you want a R90S "smoke" paint job (AMHIK).
brontotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontotx View Post
If you go the factory set-up route for the fairing and don't get an install kit (Bob's or factory original), you will need the longer turn signal mount ears in addition to the other items already mentioned. Good luck.
Meh, I don't use longer turn signal stalks and my fairing has worked fine for over a year.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Oddometer: 887
Thanks for all the replies.

Bob's BMW has "Hepco & Becker" side cases which seem to be about identical to the Krausers and of high quality. Would these be considered "knock offs"? Surprising how expensive even tired used ones on e-bay can be. I am thinking I would be best off buying new as they will get used and not just there for looks.

Also would like to keep the bike as authentic as possible so not sure if it would make sense to buy a knock off product.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Bob's BMW has "Hepco & Becker" side cases which seem to be about identical to the Krausers and of high quality. Would these be considered "knock offs"? Surprising how expensive even tired used ones on e-bay can be. I am thinking I would be best off buying new as they will get used and not just there for looks.

Also would like to keep the bike as authentic as possible so not sure if it would make sense to buy a knock off product.
I would call the Hepco's knock off, replicas maybe. I don't know how they got the rights to the name, but my Hepco's came with Krauser logo badges. I am very happy with the Hepco bags. The aluminum frame is just a touch flimsey, but they have remained absolutely waterproof and will hold a full face helmet easily.

Can anyone confirm that the Airtech fairing has the threaded inserts molded into the inside?
ericrat is online now   Reply With Quote