Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #136
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
If you want a mecca of CB160 and CB175 information, look at the f-160 group on yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com).

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #137
SOX
n00b

Oddometer: 2
CB160 Engine number

Hi Guys.

I am a noob here,but I started out as a motorcycle mechanic in the sixties.
The 160 was prone to cracking engine mounting lugs,and all replacement cases supplied by Honda came without numbers you had to machine the little area and restamp them in the shop,

Ray
SOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #138
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX
Hi Guys.

The 160 was prone to cracking engine mounting lugs,and all replacement cases supplied by Honda came without numbers you had to machine the little area and restamp them in the shop,

Ray
Hey, thanks! I guess that would explain it!
2008 Roketa 50
Minnesota Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #139
olddealer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hey Ray
I was first a "parts kid" and later a mechanic while in college (2 yr elex tech) in the late sixties and I had not remembered the problem (probably just before my time). Soo my question is did Honda get most of the bad cases or is there a way to spot a defective case (maybe by year or serial #?). Also for the guy looking for the engine # they were always "off" a little frome the frame#. I'll make a reply to him directly. Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX
Hi Guys.

Ray
olddealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #140
olddealer
Adventurer

Hello Minnesota Driver . The only satisfactory answer I ever got as to why the engine and frame numbers were "off" was that Honda set a certain number of engines aside for the "parts" end of the game and indeed in the price book (I think at the end) complete engines were available so I always figured that to be the proper explaination. As to your problem.. perhaps if a few of us posted our numbers you could "bracket" the difference with serials above and below yours. What would be ideal is if the difference stayed the same. My numbers on my supposed 1975 (The dealer often set the year back then when they sold) are: frame B160-1002314 and engine B160E-1002630 and the difference is: +316 on the engine #. Anyone else?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #141
SOX
n00b

Oddometer: 2
CB160 Engine number

hI.

Because the engine forms part of the frame and is stressed, what used to happen was the top mounting bolts around the cyl head would come loose.

Then the engine would only be held only by the rear bolts and it would chatter in the frame and then fail usually on the top pair.

Another pending fault with this bike is the fact that the wiring to the alternator runs close to the starter chain it can cut it,and you are a flat battery away from home before you find out,and unless you know where to look it can be a long walk(I Know)
SOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #142
olddealer
Adventurer

Thanks SOX.. Those will be good things to check. Service bulletins would be a neat thing to have online. Maybe someone has them or next time I'm at a dealer friend I'll try to get them to post. Doubt they are "for dealer eyes only" anymore. Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX
hI.

Because the engine forms part of the frame and is stressed, what used to happen was the top mounting bolts around the cyl head would come loose.

Then the engine would only be held only by the rear bolts and it would chatter in the frame and then fail usually on the top pair.

Another pending fault with this bike is the fact that the wiring to the alternator runs close to the starter chain it can cut it,and you are a flat battery away from home before you find out,and unless you know where to look it can be a long walk(I Know)
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #143
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Anyone know where I might find a RH gas tank knee rubber?
2008 Roketa 50
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #144
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Making my seat...

I started with a piece of 3/8" plywood to use as the pan, so I can staple the bottom of the upholstery underneath. I cut it to exactly follow the curvature of the frame. Most of the "pod" will be hollow so I can mount my battery and electrical inside. Loosen 2 wing nuts below, and the whole thing will lift off for battery access.

Getting the big blob of spray foam was the hardest part. Ya have to make it in lots of little layers or it falls flat like a big pancake. Don't ask me how I know!

I shaped the foam using a serrated knife and a rasp. The idea I have is to give it the same general shape as the tank, especially the curvature of the tail end. A layer of duct tape over the foam so the fiberglass doesn't stick, and i'm ready for 'glass!

My first real experience working with fiberglass was a success! But talk about a sticky mess! I used one whole quart-size kit which was three layers of cloth over the entire thing. It's about an 1/8" thick and nice & strong. Once dry I gutted out most of the foam using a drill and 1 1/2" paddle bit. I left about 2" of the foam right at the seat back for added strength. Next up was about 4 evenings of grind, rasp, bondo, rasp, sand, more bondo, sand, bondo, more sanding to get it just right. I didn't get a picture of this final step because I was too excited to get it to my body man for a final glaze and paint!

More pictures when it's ORANGE...
2008 Roketa 50
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #145
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,939

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #146
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Driver
Making my seat...

More pictures when it's ORANGE...
Thanks Minnesota Driver! You inspired me to go out and spray some primer on all the body parts I sanded and prepared for paint, oh . . . . about a year ago! I hope I can keep the inspiration going for another evening.

More pictures when it's BLACK!
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #147
IanJ
Criminal Mastermind

Oddometer: 27
Leaking petcocks

I just sent this in PM to SimpleSimon, who was having trouble with a leaking petcock, but one thing to look out for is that the backside of the petcock handle needs to be flat and smooth. Otherwise it won't seal against the O-ring that you spent money tracking down on Ebay in the rebuild kit.

I know this because that exact leak kept me out of a race on my CL175, and the incandescent anger seared it into my brain.

That's me racing last year, at Pacific Raceways near Seattle. If anyone's in the area, we've got a race coming up this weekend, and a concentration of 160/175 knowledge like you wouldn't believe.

I've also got some (beginner-oriented) videos up on YouTube, some of which are CL175 specific:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...njseattle&aq=f
1973 Honda CL175 (the little bike) - for sale $1k
PM for details on for-sale bikes
IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #148
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Thanks Minnesota Driver! You inspired me to go out and spray some primer on all the body parts I sanded and prepared for paint, oh . . . . about a year ago! I hope I can keep the inspiration going for another evening.

Whenever I feel like being a slug on the couch, I re-read this thread for inspiration! Feel free to post a new picture of progress now and then for me, and I will do the same for you. My goal for a first ride is June 6th!

BTW I got my new title in the mail last week without any problems, even with the ficticious engine number. That was a relief! Oh, and i'm still looking for a right side tank rubber, if you know anyone who can help.
2008 Roketa 50
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #149
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I promised:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Driver
Oh, and i'm still looking for a right side tank rubber, if you know anyone who can help.
I happen to know somebody who can help!

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #150
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

That's some smoooooth lookin' black!

PM sent.
2008 Roketa 50