Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #496
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobens View Post
I still haven't decided what I'm going to mount my kickstand to when I get rid of the peg bars. Any ideas?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing since I found out the center stand won't clear the brake rod and lever I installed for the rearsets. Shit......
Scrambler Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #497
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
It's ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!!

Well, y'all got the fire lit under me the other day...
I brought it over to a friend of mine's shop, to give him something to do.
1966 Honda CL160:

Sr. Got one of the two project bikes I brought home last year running.
It needs a lot of tlc, and a title, but it's a start!
After we got the brakes in somewhat of an adjusted state, I took it up the road for a few passes. Kind if what you'd expect for getting something of it's age running again, but it was fun!

I_FLY_LOW screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 05:44 PM
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #498
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Holy shit thats identical to mine down to the tires!!! Nice bike man, you have a LOT to work with.

I rode mine as soon as I could too... you just have to.

Nice!!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #499
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Ok, the snow all melted yesterday so I was able to get a lot done. Mostly though I finished the other rearset, and made some bushings for the rear brake lever assembly. I just need to clean up the welds and maybe shorten the shift lever just a tiny bit to reduce the throw. Otherwise it works! There will definitely be some time spent with the grinder to clean the edges and so forth before paint. Like everything else, it was made from parts laying around with the exception of some small hardware. No hiem joints, no CNC cut parts, just metal rod, nuts, bolts, washers, and the hoops from the old shocks I took off. Sorry for the blurry pics, it snowed again and the bike is back in a tiny lean to with a tarp over it.

I_FLY_LOW: I have some bad news for you... The center stand interfered with the new rear brake rod so I couldn't use it like I had planned. So I am stuck with the side stand - which is attached to the footpeg rack. I gotta keep it now, sorry man. I have the actual pegs, clips and springs for the front if you still want those. I have them because I, erm, well I cut them off the bar.... The step bar itself would be pretty easy to make if you have a welder. Let me know man, sorry about that.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #500
Noobens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62

Threw down the big bucks and got an original tank. Still trying to find time to do the monoshock fabrication...
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #501
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Dope!

Now if I can just get mine to FUCKING idle I'd be very happy. Runs great down the road, starts, refuses to idle. Been over everything, including the float needles, etc.... It is not loading on fuel anymore, runs fine with the throttle open. Valve adjustment maybe? Ideas????
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #502
Noobens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
Dope!

Now if I can just get mine to FUCKING idle I'd be very happy. Runs great down the road, starts, refuses to idle. Been over everything, including the float needles, etc.... It is not loading on fuel anymore, runs fine with the throttle open. Valve adjustment maybe? Ideas????
Check your idle passages!
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #503
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
...Valve adjustment maybe? Ideas????
If it hasn't been done, do it. Needs to be anyway.

Check for vacuum leaks?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #504
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 178
Are you sure your pilot passages in carbs are free? No air leaks between carbs and head? If you haven't replaced the o-rings on the carb flanges they are likely leaking. Normally if it won't idle it is too lean, either air leak or lack of fuel.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #505
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

The passges are clear, I have been over the bodies with a fine tooth comb. I will check for leaks around the flanges, I thought they were good but double checking with propane is a good idea. Should have thought of that. The pilot jets are clear through and through (vertical and horizontal holes). Thanks guys!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #506
whitesmoke
n00b

Oddometer: 2
cb160

Cowboy, yer '65 looks amazingly similar to the '66 I just picked up. Have got mine sprayed down with Zep 70 b4 I try to loosen everything. Like yours, mine is about 90% complete (although I'm missing different parts - just not many).
My motor seized but tranny seems ok. So far just got the seat and tank off - gonna let the Zep work its magic for a week before it's wrench time.
whitesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #507
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Hey guys, I'm still around and working on the bike. Well sort of, the weather has been shite for a couple of weeks but it's warming up now!! Still need to check for vacuum leaks, but I think that is the idle issue so if it is warmer later on this week I will have a crack at it. I have more progress pics to come, and I finally found an exhaust I can adapt that is not a sausage can or welded up CB350 pipes!! So we'll see how that one goes... Hope all you guys are well and wrenching like crazy... riding season is just around the corner.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #508
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm still around and working on the bike. Well sort of, the weather has been shite for a couple of weeks but it's warming up now!! Still need to check for vacuum leaks, but I think that is the idle issue so if it is warmer later on this week I will have a crack at it. I have more progress pics to come, and I finally found an exhaust I can adapt that is not a sausage can or welded up CB350 pipes!! So we'll see how that one goes... Hope all you guys are well and wrenching like crazy... riding season is just around the corner.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #509
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Exhaust

Hey boys, been a long time for updates but it took this long for spring to arrive... Plus I have been working on my car and got a new job and been doing some volunteer work. All good things as far as I am concerned..... But anyways, got more work done on the bike and built a 2-1 header today. I designed it and a buddy of mine did the welding.

Here's the scoop:

RF 700 4-1 header
Pipe
Honda Magna Megaphone

The RF 700 flanges actually FIT the exhaust ports on the sloper, all you need to do is take a couple thou off the outer edge and oval the holes on the flange itself. They work perfectly. What we did was cut the 4-1 up, mount the flanges and then use the pipes and one of the Y's for the back half. Went easier than expected, looks and sounds good too. The megaphone has the baffle pulled partway out and tacked just to make it look a little different. That's about it, other than I used one hanger at the rear near where the center stand would mount. This took part of an afternoon and ust needs painted or wrapped. No leaks.... Bike actually sounds like a tiny sportbike now. Hope this helps anyone else who is needing an exhaust, and keep in mind no pipes were bent, just cut and repurposed from the RF header. I went overboard when I bought the bolts, the factory studs are too short. I used M 50's, but I think M 40's would have been closer to the right length.

Um, the red part is an old pocket bike canister... it fit so we used it...

Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #510
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,178
Hell yea!