Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #511
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
Hell yea!
I'm about to eat dinner, but I got a little paintwork done today and photos to go with it. Found an interesting solution for painting this thing. Will update with pics later.

Later guys.... keep wrenching! And Happy Easter!!
Scrambler Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #512
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Ok, so I have been looking around for a left side control that gave me horn, headlight and indicator controls. Everything I found so far didn't have everything all on the one side.. until my buddy pulled one out of his basement that came from some sort of Honda.... So that got mounted, and I didn't even have to break out the meter to hook up the horn and lights. Horn wire was the same colour, so were a couple of the headlight wires... No indicators came on the bike so I intend to get a set of the bullet style and mount them up and then get a universal flasher relay. That will be when the meter comes out to figure out what wire does what on the new controls, thankfully I have a background in automotive electronics so I hope it goes pretty easy.

Now, my friend also had two cans of black epoxy appliance paint he handed me.. We all know by this point my build is all about what I can find, scrounge or build myself - I am trying to keep actual new part costs to a minimum. I also want to get on and ride this this thing this year, so a tear down and repaint were looking like they might take too much time. Epoxy seals rust.... So I scrubbed anything that was painted black and rusty with steel wool, masked off the tire and small parts and went at it with the paint. Turned out waaaay better than I had expected and dried rock hard. When I pull the tank for repaint I will paint the front half of the frame, but for now the back half is lookin good enough for me, and I know the rust wont be coming through. So, here are some pics..... More pics when I get more done. I still hope this little documentation I am doing is able to help some of you out with idea or little tricks to make things easier.

Still need to eliminate that hideous rear fender and I am working on restoring a bullet headlight (free from generous biker) to mount up in place of the stock one. One piece at a time.....
Old 04-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #513
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Headlight bucket is done, still working on the trim ring. I did find some bullet indicators for the front and rear though.. yesssss!! And finally found a fender for the back that works and looks good. It's a front from a CB350. VERY simple to mount.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #514
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Got some more work done today after work.... here are some shitty pics taken in the dark. Progress... and 30wt oil in the forks is way better at damping than water let me tell you...

Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #515
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Ok, so the weather was nice again and I intended to run the wiring for my indicators and call it done. Instead I actually wired them, installed a proper ignition switch and improved my .50 velocity stacks with some .50 fuel strainers.... A CL175 ignition switch WILL mount with the drilling of a second hole, or just with one hole if you do what I did. Is anyone else still building? Think I am down to doing the paint at this point.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #516
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
I rolled CB175 #2 into the shop today and put it up on the work table. #1 CB175 is still down at the barn waiting for wrenches to attack it.

Attack of the wrenches!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #517
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

It's like everytime I visit my friend's places.... and you can never wait to get the parts on and see what they look like... :)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #518
Noobens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Has anyone done the CB175 transmission swap themselves? I got a fire lit under my ass this week to put the bottom end back together, and while the CB175 gears go in just as they should, the shift drum has a bearing on it, unlike the CB160 drum. This prevents the drum from going in all the way, as it hits the retainer built onto the case. I really want a 5 speed, but I'm kind of stumped as to what I'm going to have to do to make this drum work.
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #519
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Question

I thought people swapped the whole bottom end and cases for the 175 tranny conversion?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #520
Noobens
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
I thought people swapped the whole bottom end and cases for the 175 tranny conversion?
Shit I hope not!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #521
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobens View Post
Shit I hope not!
Oh oh....
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #522
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
started spinning wrenches about 2 hours ago, 5 more bolts and I'll have a completely bare frame and a big pile of parts.

Guess I better figure out my design by morning so I do the right stuff next.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #523
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobens View Post
Has anyone done the CB175 transmission swap themselves? I got a fire lit under my ass this week to put the bottom end back together, and while the CB175 gears go in just as they should, the shift drum has a bearing on it, unlike the CB160 drum. This prevents the drum from going in all the way, as it hits the retainer built onto the case. I really want a 5 speed, but I'm kind of stumped as to what I'm going to have to do to make this drum work.
You can only swap a sloper 175 bottom end for the 160 bottom end, as you have found out there are size differences in some bearings, shafts and other assorted parts. Sloper 175's were only used in 68-69 cl175's and are quite difficult to find.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #524
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,360
Quote:
ugh ...

found a problem.

a big problem.

top triple clamp has two major cracks / breaks in it. Prior owner overtightened the pinch bolts.

time to see if I can make myself a new triple clamp.

which of course opens up various design options vs making an actual replica triple clamp.

and would let me get rid of those silly rubber mounted handlebar mounts.

but the frame is now naked. now have lots of piles of parts to stumble over in the shop.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #525
Noobens
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroming it softly View Post
You can only swap a sloper 175 bottom end for the 160 bottom end, as you have found out there are size differences in some bearings, shafts and other assorted parts. Sloper 175's were only used in 68-69 cl175's and are quite difficult to find.
The gear shafts and gears all seem to fit, though I'm starting to have some doubts about the kick start. First I'm going to try to cut the bearing out and build some kind of bushing for the drum to ride on. If I mangle the drum oh well it was $40 for the whole trans. Really want to do a 5 speed, but if it's going to be a pain to track down the right parts I may just say screw it. I have no doubts that the case could be machined out to accept the 175 drum, but I don't really want to go cutting the case up if I don't have to!