Ideas gentlemen?
Scrambler Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #572
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
noise

....wow the pipe does sound good!

...hard to say what the noise is, but I would definitely take the tappet cover off for that right exhaust valve and check the clearance again, I'm gonna state the obvious too 'cuz sometimes we miss the simple things, so make sure that the oil level is ok also.

good luck,
M.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #573
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
....wow the pipe does sound good!

...hard to say what the noise is, but I would definitely take the tappet cover off for that right exhaust valve and check the clearance again, I'm gonna state the obvious too 'cuz sometimes we miss the simple things, so make sure that the oil level is ok also.

good luck,
M.
Cool.... Think it is too tight or too loose? Should I do it when the bike is hot? Thanks Marco.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #574
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
Cool.... Think it is too tight or too loose? Should I do it when the bike is hot? Thanks Marco.
Well, if they're out of spec, they will be noisy either way, hot or cold, check the specs first, if the clearances are in spec, then it must be something with the rockers or cams...
Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #575
Carnivorous Chicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
If it ain't the valves, timing chain perhaps? I replaced mine w/new when I got the valves done, but old ones do wear. Not necessarily fatal, IMHO, although I'm basing that on my CB350F which has had a timing chain rattle for about 8 years now...

Bike is looking good, and exhaust is killer!
Carnivorous Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #576
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Chicken View Post
If it ain't the valves, timing chain perhaps? I replaced mine w/new when I got the valves done, but old ones do wear. Not necessarily fatal, IMHO, although I'm basing that on my CB350F which has had a timing chain rattle for about 8 years now...

Bike is looking good, and exhaust is killer!
I am suspecting the timing chain at this point, something to think about during next winter. I played with the tensioner and all that, still noisy.... But, since it runs and drives I figure that can wait till the snow flies when I do a rebuild. Thanks for the props on the bike and the exhaust!!! Hope yours is coming along too.

Later.....
Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #577
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Well, I broke down and bought a set of clubmans. The homemade bars were killing my hands. All I can say is..... wow... What a difference in comfort and in handling, love the clubmans. Also adjusted the float in the left side carb jut a bit as well, plug chops now show both cylinders running a perfect mix (was still a little rich on that side). Oddly enough the bike is even quieter now, runs smoother, and seemed a little slower.. then I realized I was banging through the gears in no time at all and the clutch is slipping a little. Think I may have picked up a litle power there. Oh I should say the exhaust is quieter, the intakes sound crazy now. I am going to adjust the clutch and see what happens, will grab pics of the bars when I can.

I must add that it never fails to amaze me at ow sensitive these bikes are to float height. I have never encountered this before.... tricky tricky..
Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #578
harleytohondarider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
CB160 and CL160

That is a great CB 160. I have just joined Adventure Rider am enjoying reading all the great information about the CB and CL 160. A few weeks ago I found a 1966 CL 160. The man who I bought it from had it in his open but covered shed with other stuff, e.g. chevy engines, etc. The motor turns, but is missing many parts such as the gas tank, fenders, headlight, etc. But, it is a great project to work on this summer so I have taken up the challenge. Anyone out there have a good used gas tank for sale? I will post pictures soon. Thanks
harleytohondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #579
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytohondarider View Post
That is a great CB 160. I have just joined Adventure Rider am enjoying reading all the great information about the CB and CL 160. A few weeks ago I found a 1966 CL 160. The man who I bought it from had it in his open but covered shed with other stuff, e.g. chevy engines, etc. The motor turns, but is missing many parts such as the gas tank, fenders, headlight, etc. But, it is a great project to work on this summer so I have taken up the challenge. Anyone out there have a good used gas tank for sale? I will post pictures soon. Thanks
Hey Harley, welcome to the forums and the thread. It's always nice to see someone else with a 160 join up and chime in. I've got a CL myself, i's nice to see another member building one. I don't have a spare tank for you, but spend enough time on here and someone will eventually. Lots of aftermarket parts like your fender are pretty cheap on Ebay, otherwise scrounge scrounge scrounge... thats what I did. Can't wait to see the pics, and we are here to offer help when we can. Later man...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #580
harleytohondarider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cl160

Great! Thanks for your offer Scrambler Weirdo. I suspect that I will need considerable advice so look forward to further discussions.
harleytohondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #581
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Well guys, not only am I rocking clubmans now but I finally got a rear tire that isn't a horrible piece of shit. The internet is down at the house so no photo updates again... maybe in a couple of days. I was going for a 100/80/18 rear but that proved pretty hard to find. I ended up with a (again used) Battlax in 110/80/18. Fits the cl175 rear rim perfect, and is actually WIDER than the 130/70/18 that I had on there. It has a much shallower arch as well. No doubt this is becuase the tire actually fits the rim rather than ballooning up over it.... This definitely improved the handling, ride, and cornering of the bike. Keep in mind that the cl175 rim I am using is a 1/2" wider than stock and has a smaller lighter brake. The extra width is what let me run that big of a tire in the first place. Still gotta get a cafe seat happening....
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #582
Moto VT
n00b

Oddometer: 5
cb 160

This is my little cb160 winter project
Attached Images

Moto VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #583
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto VT View Post
This is my little cb160 winter project
Nice! Tell us more.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #584
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
You're jonesing after today aren't you?

Am I that transparent?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #585
Moto VT
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my little cb160

Well, here is the bike back in January, I had pulled the motor for rebuild. I just about had to do everything to this bike to get it in its current shape. If anyone has repair questions, chances are I've had to do it and can help!
Attached Images

Moto VT is offline   Reply With Quote