Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #601
jtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Anyone ever added/seen instructions on putting an oil cooler on the 160/175 series? Saw a few race bikes at the Bonneville GP with them, although it appeared it requires someone who can weld Al, which I'd like to avoid. There's no external oil lines to tap into, so maybe drilling and tapping into the engine case would work? Here's some of the bikes:

Here's a great write-up for the process for a CT90 that might be a good reference:
http://ct90-ct110.com/Oil-Cooler.html

'70 CL175, CL350
'82 GL500
'69 - '74 Trail 90's

jtn screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 11:28 AM
jtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #602
Flyguy784
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yet another CB 160 rebuild

Where do I begin? I've looked at many restoration forums and decided to join this one. It seems there's plenty of knowlegable CB 160 enthusiasts on board. I'm gonna need HELP! Here's the story. Recently, a friend gave me a 65 CB 160. He was the original owner. It's rough, but free. My son and I have decided to restore it, I grew up with these things. He loves its classic look. He's a smart boy. Not a week later, I found another, bike, not son. Also rough, but some of the parts I needed were in pretty good shape. The one I want to re-do is a hideous, kinda navy blue, original color. So funky, it's cool. I want to keep it blue. It came with a set of white Bocca mini saddle bags (fiber glass) and a "book rack", the saddle bags even have a 1970 millersville college parking sticker applied. Better dig out my tie dye shirt for this one. Guys, I gotta tell ya, I love this thing. I downloaded the factory manuel so I'm set to rip and tear. I guess my first question should be: how to post pics. I've read that smugmug is the host to use, is that so??????
It's only fair that I get some pics up for your perusal. Oh, the second bike I purchased is black. So, some parts will have to be repainted. The frame on the "blue boy" needs painting. After a thorough clean up, sanding etc. So my next question is, is there an automotive paint (duplicolor) that matches this blue? I'd like to paint it with rattle cans. Gotta keep my costs down. I'm not so worried about an absolutely perfect restoration but really, really close would be nice. I really like this blue.

Having two of these gems, I'd also be interested in swapping parts with other enthusiasts. I'm hoping to get both engines running tomorrow or over the weekend. Both turn over easily, have spark, seem ok.

So, how do I post pics??????

How do I match this color???? (Blue)

Thanks guys,

John Yank
Flyguy784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #603
Flyguy784
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
the creator of ADV created SmugMug too. ADV is totally without fees and spam free, so to many of us it seems signing up for SmugMug is a small way to say thanks and show our support.

Once you have your SmugMug account set up, and pics uploaded to that, then adding pics to your posts is quite easy.

Have fun with the 160. I have a 175 vert and it's a blast to wrench on.

Thanks Geode. Sounds like a plan. Dark now but I'll get some pics up tomorrow, if it stops raining. Been friggin raining for three days.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #604
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,524
Welcome, Flyguy! NAPA around these parts can match paint and sell it in rattle cans. Other places may also do this. Check your local automotive paint stores.

Let see some pics.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #605
Flyguy784
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Welcome, Flyguy! NAPA around these parts can match paint and sell it in rattle cans. Other places may also do this. Check your local automotive paint stores.

Let see some pics.

Thanks Evil, I'm pretty sure all clowns, deep down inside, are evil. Give me the creeps. Anyway, I'll check out NAPA. I have to join Smug, then wait for the rain to stop so I can wheel my baby's outside.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #606
farmer66
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Fork rebuild?

Hello everybody, I just picked up a white CB160, the 3rd 160 in the stable. I've been following this thread for a while, but there's a few questions I have. First off, does anybody know how shiny the white paint is supposed to be? and is the entire bike the same shiny? I know the gray fenders aren't really glossy, but these fenders are white. I'm planning on taking this one all apart and have a shop repaint it white.

Secondly, I've never taken a fork apart or rebuilt one, does anybody have do's and don'ts? and maybe pictures of the process? I know it needs fork seals, and a new chrome piece, since there's a nice dent in one of mine.

As far as parts go, I'd like to find a decent right muffler, a new seat cover with the honda logo on it, the 2 big springs for the seat, and the rear mudflap with mounts. Possibly a new set of handlebars too, or does anybody know roughly how much it'd cost to get them rechromed?
farmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #607
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,134
Just ran across this thread and...

thought this should be cleared up.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURBCAST View Post
What tank is this? Your bike? Supppper sexy

Quote:
Wish I could help you. Not my bike. Not even my picture.

The bike was built for and still owned by Guy Webster to be added to his museum full of Italian race bikes.

The concept for the project, parts acquisition and assembly was done by Ron Mousouris. The tank, seat etc etc fabricating and paint work was done by myself.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #608
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
thought this should be cleared up.

...The tank, seat etc etc fabricating and paint work was done by myself.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #609
EvilClown

Quote:
Treadless also created the wicked cool tri-hoop bike stand!!!
Treadless has mad skills.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #610
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Thanks guys.

Some of you may have seen these but...
Here is a link to AceRph's pic's of the bike. acerph.smugmug.

And a link to pic's (Ace's are better) of the bike in Guy's Museum before the stand was made. Webster-Museum

Been picking through this thread as I can as time allows and there's some good stuff here. Thanks all for contributing.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #611
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
Treadless also created the wicked cool tri-hoop bike stand!!!

That was kind of a fun day playing around with the stainless on hand trying to come up with something original.

Thanks for reminding me I need to get busy, Ron wants a couple more of them.

And how is your project coming along Glenn?

Treadless screwed with this post 11-01-2011 at 09:23 AM
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #612
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
{whistle's innocently}

Me?

Project??

{/whistle's innocently}

Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #613
vblank
escapist

Oddometer: 2
CL160 Footrest

Hey All,
I just started up a '66 CL160 barn find here in reading, PA. It's got a lot of promise, but one of the POs layed it down, and smashed the front footrest crossbar, and the rear brake pedal. They then revived it by replacing a footpeg with a welded on piece of rebar, and riding with the brake pedal bent up really high.

It occurred to me that many of you are switching to rear-sets and may have the pieces I need laying in the junk bin.
Anyone willing to let them go?

Basically need:
rear brake pedal (though with a decent pic I might be able to bend this one back to a decent angle)
footrest cross bar
spring pegs (I have one of these but not two)
side stand --> not sure how it was originally mounted -so may need some mounting hardware

I have the center-stand.

First cellphone pic below. You can see the crappy rebar with foam taped to it. It doesn't offend me that much, but the PO flipped the footrest bar around, and now the right side motor case is getting gauged by the flip spring. It seems left and right are at slightly different angles on the stock footrest bar.

While I'm at it, does anyone have a decent pic of a non-smashed rear brake pedal? They all look bent to me!
-Wil

vblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #614
vblank
escapist

Oddometer: 2
Geode: I have a suspicion that the length is substantially longer going around those pipes.
Any chance you can measure the overall length & the length between mount-holes L & R and drop me a PM?
Otherwise, anyone have any 160 bits around or know how I can discern other models that take these same bits?

Looking for the footrest bar,pegs, rear break pedal and sidestand if I'm lucky.
If I have to get into fabbing, I'm starting to thing rear sets would be cheaper.

vblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #615
gravity2200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
another garage find 65

So last year I picked up a 65 CB160 last fall. The original owner picked it up new and rode it on and off untill 74. It was then left in his parents basement. It was then given to a family friend a few years ago after the basemeant was flooded. It then sat in his shed/garage till he was going to throw it out, so I volunteired to take it off his hands. No keys, no title, chain is off, I was able to use the kick starter a few times before it got stuck, I went slow and easy, never forced it. I just wanted to know if it was seized. Carbs were taken off by second owner, and in a box when I got it. All gas line hoses missing and gas tank wasn't bolted on just seatting there, but otherwise seems comeplete. Gas tank has some rust in it but not to bad ,no holes. The frame and engine have some rust and corrosion,but not to bad.
I wish I knew if "basemant was flooded" means "bike was submerged". I hoping to get this thing back up and running. It'll be a long process as I seem to have a never ending list of things to do but I'll post up my progess.
gravity2200 is offline   Reply With Quote