User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #646
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey Solo,

thanks for the input... I didn't even think of Easy-Off oven cleaner. I've been spraying PB Blaster in there for a while, but I will attempt the Easy-Off with scotch-brite pad, then hit it some more with the PB....

Any thoughts on how to unstick the right crankcase cover?

By the way here here is a photo of the bike as it was when I picked it up...

cafepenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #647
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
I'd double the suggestion to FLOOD the cylinders with PB, KROIL, whatever and relax for a while. Try to get things moving from the bottom up- see if you can get it into gear and move the countershaft sprocket (Wrap the chain around it and clamp with vise-grips) If you can feel any movement at all at the piston tops, you have something to work with. No sense in proceeding if the bottom end and/or trans is fused. Since the pistons are almost at the top, whacking them is not a great idea. Yet.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #648
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Hey Goat,

Thanks... Yeah, I think I'm going to try spraying it with oven cleaner and hitting it with the scott-brite, then I will just keep letting it soak in PB for a while... If that hasn't done it in a few more days, I may be asking the best advice on where to proceed from there.

Thanks everyone for your help thus far...

So I guess I should move on to other pieces of the puzzle.

Anyone have a great place to buy new spokes? I don't have a bench buffer, is there a good way to buff the wheels without one?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #649
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Before you spray ez-off into your cylinders you should know that it is a lye based cleaner and lye will disolve aluminum. It would not be my first choice, or my second choice, or my third choice....
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #650
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Hey Redprimo,

Good to know. Thanks for that. What would you suggest? Keep hitting it with the PB blaster and doing a little scrubbing with the scott-brite?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #651
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

I would keep at it with the pb blaster and hitting a wood block placed on the piston with a good sized hammer. I wouldn't wory too much about using a sctch brite pad as once you get a bit of movement you can unbolt the cylinder and pull it off using some wood wedges. Once it is off you can clean things up by bead blasting or of they are fubar they don't need to be cleaned up at all.

Chances are the cylinder can be bored out but you will need new pistons. these little engines are pretty tough and about all that is usually needed is over sized pistons and sometimes valve guides. But you need to double check the valves and valve springs.

I have a little ca 95 which is 150cc. your 160 has an additional bottom end bearing and a better transmission ratio. A lot of guys still race the 160's in vintage racing so there are some good builders still around.

The best place on the net for these little honda twins is here: http://fourwheelforum.com/ .
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #652
kalchcliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatroper View Post
i'd double the suggestion to flood the cylinders with pb, kroil, whatever and relax for a while. Try to get things moving from the bottom up- see if you can get it into gear and move the countershaft sprocket (wrap the chain around it and clamp with vise-grips) if you can feel any movement at all at the piston tops, you have something to work with. No sense in proceeding if the bottom end and/or trans is fused. Since the pistons are almost at the top, whacking them is not a great idea. Yet.
+1 got kroil?
kalchcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #653
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Hey hey...

Thanks for the suggestions... I let the PB Blaster soak in all weekend long. I'm going to go take another look at it tonight and see if possibly a few light taps with a wood block and hammer might give me a bit of movement. If not, i will continue to let it soak for a while. I have so many other things I have to work on with this bike, so letting the engine sit in the PB blaster for a while longer works for me.

I have a feeling I will need to bore the cylinders, so I'm thinking if I have to get new pistons anyway, why not go up to the 175cc pistons and have it bored to that.

Any thoughts on that? (of course, I won't know this till I get the pistons out for sure)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #654
kalchcliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
You can get the 2mm over sets and that will put you at about 175cc.
kalchcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #655
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Alright...

so my pistons are still soaking in the PB Blaster. No movement yet. So I thought I would move on to a few other things... And so, I run into a few more problems... haha..

Here are a few things I'm trying to figure out how to clean up.

Rear Shocks. Pretty well rusted. Is there a good way to clean these up? Is the Chrome completely shot? Do I have to re-chrome? Or am I better off trying to buy some new ones? Any thoughts?

Inside of front wheel. Brake area. Rusted. Would CLR work in here? Steel Wool did not seem to do much.

Front Brake Casing (Also the Hubs in general) What's the best way to clean these up?

And finally the Gas Tank Side cover. (Tried Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover. Cleaned it a bit, but didn't get the little rust spots. Any thoughts?)

Also, my spokes are pretty rusted. Would I be better off just buying new ones, or would CLR on them work well?

Thanks for all the help so far, and for the ongoing help on this little dream bike.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #656
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

those shocks are pretty grungy. You might try rebuilding them or looking for better ones, depends on where you intend to go with the rebuild. Look on the forum I linked to earlier there are directions for rebuilding the shocks over there.I should add that your shoks are different then the ones on a ca95 but if you ask around over there you will get better info.

For spokes try buchanan's. If your on a budget you can pull yours off and remove the rust with a home brew eloctrolosis, then home brew re-plate with zinc (don't forget to polish each one), or for a benjamin you can get stainless. again it depends on if you want a 100% original bike or a good looking rider.

For cleaning up the al strip the clear coat off first with lacquer thinner and then either sand and then polish or polish, depends on what you use for compound and the buffer you have available.

For the small pits in chrome I use a wire wheel on a dremel type of tool and then rub out by hand using simi-chrome. It won't be perfect but from 5 feet away it will look ok
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #657
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Hey Red,

Thanks a lot for the info.

I had looked into buchanan's before, but yeah, they are pretty pricy. I was trying to stay somewhat on a budget. But I almost think, home brewing my own zinc plate, would take me up to the costs of buying some new spokes on ebay. I've seen them on there for a reasonable price. It would just take a while to get here, but really, that doesn't bother me, since I'm a ways out from getting this back on the road.

I'll try the lacquer thinner on the hubs and see if that helps me get them a bit cleaner, then polish it up.

I was a little worried about the wire wheel idea on the chrome, as I don't want to scratch these up too bad. Right now, they already look decent from 5 feet away, but I'm wanting them to look a bit cleaner.

The shocks... yeah, they are pretty bad. I've seen some on Ebay, that are not quite as bad, but still not great either, so not sure if I want to go that route. Do you know what other shocks might fit on the bike, that would not break the bank?

Thanks again for all the helpful info
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #658
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafepenguin View Post
...I had looked into buchanan's before, but yeah, they are pretty pricy. I was trying to stay somewhat on a budget. But I almost think, home brewing my own zinc plate, would take me up to the costs of buying some new spokes on ebay.

You could also paintthe spokes. Ducati singles had painted spokes so it's pretty common to repaint them on budget rebuilds. To me stainless spokes are usually worth the cost.

I did repaint spokes on one bike, something I'm trying to build from spare/cheap parts and not spend much money on. They turned out ok.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #659
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Hey Desmo.

I didn't even think of that. That's true... I could always just paint them for now and then down the line get the new spokes when I have the money to put into it. I just didn't want to have to put it together, just to take it apart again... haha... but may do that with those.

Has anyone ever used a product called "Evapo-Rust" and had good results?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #660
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafepenguin View Post
Hey Desmo.

Has anyone ever used a product called "Evapo-Rust" and had good results?

I have read threads about other people using it with success but your chrome looks beyond repair. Rechrome is way expensive so you are going to have to decide just how close to stock you want to be and budget for it. Chrome powder coat shines like polished aluminum but I have heard it doesn't stand the test of time.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote