User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #91
montanaboy
atkguy

Oddometer: 6
Montana CB160

Here's a couple pictures of the 1965 CB160 I found at an auction. It had been stored properly so all I did was put gas in and add a new battery to ride. I use him to get the mail once in while. My first bike was a 1969 CB160 that I traveled the state of Montana on while in high school until I traded it for a 1972 CL350.

From 1965 Honda 160

From 1965 Honda 160

From 1965 Honda 160

From 1965 Honda 160
montanaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #92
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,274
Nice bike, Montanaboy! I'll bet those pics are not recent. I had dinner with some friends who live near Lincoln last night, and they were not excited about going home to three feet of snow!

I have the CB160 engine stripped down right now, and have most of it cleaned up. I plan to shoot some photos as I reassemble it. Anybody have any special photo requests, while I have it apart?

(I have not split the cases, so I can't photograph the innards. I do have the head, barrels and pistons out, though., and both the clutch and stator sidecovers off.)
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #93
montanaboy
atkguy

Oddometer: 6
Montana CB160

[quote=Cowboy]Nice bike, Montanaboy! I'll bet those pics are not recent. I had dinner with some friends who live near Lincoln last night, and they were not excited about going home to three feet of snow!

You're right Cowboy - I took these pictures last spring - I spent a couple hours both yesterday and today riding that yellow tractor in the background pushing snow around!
montanaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #94
olddealer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
What a nice bike that looks like...!! My rusty rider needs everything and to make it look like yours I'd have to add $4000.00 to my investment to bring the total to hmmm let's see here.. Uh .. Oh yeah $4150.00. I found one of my old Kowa metal "dealer" boxes of special tools embossed with "HONDA" and "CB125-160" . Unfortunatly it's empty so I have to find the innards but that will be a nice display along with my rusty bike. As soon as I get some additional tools besides the partial bearing puller and partial valve spring compressor I'll try to post pictures of a 1960's "dealer initial" cb125/160 tool set. I won some piston ring compressors this morning on ebay for the "box" from a dealer back east. I don't remember ever using these when I was a mechanic nor do I remember any of my mechanics ever using them. Screwdrivers and fingers seemed to work fine. Most of the special tools were never used but we had to buy the boxes anyway. A NOS cheng shin 2.50 x 18 (Tiawanese for "don't ride fast") 2 ply showed up today to replace the very out of place 300/18 knobby on the front wheel. Maybe get it mounted this week. Dave
olddealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #95
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,953

I'd love to see this bike going again! I just re-read this whole thread and would love to see some pictures of the engine when you get it all taken apart...especially the piston and rings.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #96
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,274
Pics coming soon, Olas! I got a bit sidetracked when I pulled the engine apart, and discovered a big freaking pit in the side of one cylinder wall. Odd, since the bike ran pretty well before I pulled it apart. I really just wanted to replace the seals and gaskets, in order to stop the oil seeps all over the engine. I didn't dare use the cylinder in that condition, as it would likely break a ring or two eventually. Better to fix it right while I have it all apart.

I took the cylinder block to a machine shop to find out how deep they would have to hone the cylinder walls to get the big pit out. They measured the depth of the pit and determined that it would take the bore farther out than the 1mm oversize pistons I could get. I started looking for larger oversize pistons among the race parts suppliers. In the meantime, I found a cylinder block on ebay that was advertised as "good used" for a low enough price to justify the gamble. As a plus, it came with pistons and rings, also "good used", whatever that means.

The used block arrived today, and it appears to be in fine shape. It's dirty, but shows very little internal wear. The pistons are far less worn than the old ones. I'll probably run a flex hone through and call it good, then put it back together with the standard pistons, and fresh standard size rings.

So I'm back on track now. The used cylinder head is soaking in solvent overnight to get the crud off the outside. Then I start the re-assembly.

Progress coming soon!

While I waited for the machine shop, then for the ebay head, I've been turning wrenches on this old CB400 twin. I bought it a few weeks back, based on this photo and a few others like it. The seller told me that it had a seized wrist pin, and that one cylinder had scored the cylinder wall pretty badly. I arrived to look at the bike, and found the engine in boxes. I bought it (cheap) knowing that I had CB400 engine in my parts stash with a good bottom end, and a bad head. The head on this bike looked good, so I popped it onto my old engine, and lifted it into the bike. It runs like a champ now. Got license plates today. My plan is to sell the bike this summer, but I'll enjoy riding it through the spring.

As an added bonus, it came with an Amco rack and a color-matched period top box.

Cowboy screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 10:44 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #97
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
I guess I better jump in.
I just picked up this CL 160 in running condition for $600. I'm presently removing the rust from the tank with Evapo Rust. Other than that the bike runs great.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #98
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
I'm jealous! I'm having some challenges with my CB175 project. I can't get the Pecock to stop leaking. Solution? I bought a new 22mm Bung and screw-on petcock to replace the honda one. Should be coming in the mail.

I'll get to test my ghetto-fabulous MIG skills. Cost for the new petcock and bung? $30 from Dennis Kirk. Of course, this is after I had replaced all seals on the old one.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #99
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
I'm jealous! I'm having some challenges with my CB175 project. I can't get the Pecock to stop leaking. Solution? I bought a new 22mm Bung and screw-on petcock to replace the honda one. Should be coming in the mail.

I'll get to test my ghetto-fabulous MIG skills. Cost for the new petcock and bung? $30 from Dennis Kirk. Of course, this is after I had replaced all seals on the old one.
How is it exactly leaking?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #100
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
You have convinced me to look for a CB 160 - I dont care its condition. Im not half the mechanic as many of you guys, but I guess this is how you learn.

I rebuilt an old 79 CT 70 last year (ill try to post some pics) - I never got it running perfectly, as it would idle fine, then bog down when I drove, I would have to reach down and half choke it to get it to run properly. I know its probably to carb, but I rebuild that and tried to set it back to factory settings. Its always bugged me and I think i need a new project bike to take my mind off my previous defeats ;)
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #101
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
How is it exactly leaking?
Leaking between the petcock and tank and from the petcock itself. I replaced all gaskets and it still leaks. I tried to weld on a fuel bung and screwed it up.

Back to square one. At least the CL175 has a threaded petcock. The CB has some god awful contraption.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #102
olddealer
Adventurer

Hello Durden
Did you ever shine a timing light on the timing marks to check ignition timing?

I rebuilt an old 79 CT 70 last year (ill try to post some pics) - I never got it running perfectly, as it would idle fine, then bog down when I drove, I would have to reach down and half choke it to get it to run properly. I know its probably to carb, but I rebuild that and tried to set it back to factory settings. Its always bugged me and I think i need a new project bike to take my mind off my previous defeats ;)[/quote]
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #103
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddealer
Hello Durden
Did you ever shine a timing light on the timing marks to check ignition timing?
Hmm, good point, ive seen this before - can you give me the high level view on what to look for - or can you point me in the right direction - I wouldnt mind giving it a try.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #104
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
Leaking between the petcock and tank and from the petcock itself. I replaced all gaskets and it still leaks. I tried to weld on a fuel bung and screwed it up.

Back to square one. At least the CL175 has a threaded petcock. The CB has some god awful contraption.
I just learned about the CB 160 tank this weekend. My buddy had a leaking issue with a circular styled petcock. He ended up buying a rebuild kit and shimmed down the washer that fits between the petcock and tank. He had to shim because he didn't remove the previous washer that had broken down/disintegrated and it was causing leaking to the petcock.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #105
olddealer
Adventurer

Sorry this took so long to reply to. Note: It's been years since I worked on one of these>> Find an inductive pickup timing light and clamp it on the spark plug wire (There should be an arrow on the pickup which aims towards the spark plug) and hook it to 12 volts. Remove the left engine cover , start the engine and shine the light at the flywheel. The light should be lighting up the "F" mark on the rotating flywheel and it should be aligned with the stationary mark on the engine. Unfortunatly I can't remember if that model has an advancer built into the flywheel or not. If it does there will be two more marks about 15-20 degrees clockwise of the "f" mark on the flywheel that will rotate to line up with the stationary mark on the engine case when you rev the engine. I hope you are running an air filter on this. Some models will not run correctly without one. What color is the spark plug when you pull it after running it with the choke on? Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden
Hmm, good point, ive seen this before - can you give me the high level view on what to look for - or can you point me in the right direction - I wouldnt mind giving it a try.