Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #121
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,274
Cool! Sounds like you're getting close. I'm getting close too. Just waiting for the garage temps to get above 60 so I can paint the tin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
I did a pertronix conversion on mine last weekend (CB175). I also ditched the stock coil for an aftermarket one I mounted in the horn location. The pertronix kit mounts on the points plate and removes the timing advance piece.

Still not running yet because i couldn't get it timed and my carbs still have problems. I'll post pics once I'm done.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #122
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Driver
Is it in that raised rectangle on the left side? Cuz it looks like it would be there but there's nothing. Hmmm...
Right behind the clutch cable?
2008 Roketa 50
Minnesota Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #123
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Right behind the clutch cable?
Yep!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #124
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Yep!
I wonder why this is all I have?

How many digits is the #? Just numbers, any letters? It might be on my old title.

2008 Roketa 50
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #125
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Kudos for undertaking such an apparently painful project.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #126
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Progress has been slow because it's been so cold here. Clutch was seized up, not bad or rusty, the plates were just stuck together. I soaked em in some gas and cleaned em up & it's good as new. I'm making a gasket tonight so tomorrow I can get it on the road and go through the gears.

Had to put on my new bars to see how they fit. Me likey! I have a big box of new parts I can't wait to assemble! Once I conclude the drivetrain is kosher and everything works well, it's time to tear her down and get ready for paint.

Do they sell steel wool by the bushel?!
2008 Roketa 50
Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #127
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
I wonder why this is all I have?

How many digits is the #? Just numbers, any letters? It might be on my old title.
Mine reads: B160E-1006524
Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #128
mblotz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
thats crazy, i ALMOST bought this bike, was just up the mtn from boulder. i had a hair up my butt for a winter project, ended up with a benelli instead.
mblotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #129
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblotz
thats crazy, i ALMOST bought this bike, was just up the mtn from boulder. i had a hair up my butt for a winter project, ended up with a benelli instead.
Do you mean my bike? (It was, in fact, just up the canyon, above Boulder.) I seem to remember seeing a Benelli on Craigslist about the same time. I may have even emailed the Benelli seller, and found that it was gone.

Odd coincidence! We seem to be kindred spirits! Wanna race when we get 'em both done?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #130
mblotz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
yeah cowboy. from some dude who had a bunch of BSA 441 victors. i spent a long time talking to the guy, but even though i want to build a cb160 racer someday, my blood runs pretty italian (got a couple guzzi's) and found the benelli at the same time. I pretty much got the benelli going good and sold it to some rockabilly girl in denver who really wanted it, hope she is enjoying it
mblotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #131
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblotz
yeah cowboy. from some dude who had a bunch of BSA 441 victors. i spent a long time talking to the guy, but even though i want to build a cb160 racer someday, my blood runs pretty italian (got a couple guzzi's) and found the benelli at the same time. I pretty much got the benelli going good and sold it to some rockabilly girl in denver who really wanted it, hope she is enjoying it
Ha! That dude did have a bunch of cool old bikes, and a really odd aura about him. Something about a dope-smoking artist who is really into old race bikes and antique guitars doesn't jive in my mind. Dunno why not. Maybe I'm the one that's odd?

I dig Italian stuff too. I have an old school SWM trials bike, (just came in from riding/wrenching on it) and I've had countless Fiats through the years. Would love to find an old Benelli or Wards/Riverside bike for the collection.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #132
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
I've been having some carb issues. So, I did what any other self respecting advrider would do.

2 new PE24 Keihins and intake manifolds on the way.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #133
Minnesota Driver
Head greenskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Mine reads: B160E-1006524
I went to transfer the title and apply for license today. The lady said I could possibly get by with using the same # for the engine that is on the vin, as some old bikes have the same #. We'll see if this throws up any "red flags" in the system.

I took the old girl for a maiden voyage last evening! No seat, lights, mufflers or license so it was only about a mile up the road and back. I went up and down through the gears a number of times and everything works as it should. Speedometer works, no smoke, no gas or oil leaks and it ran very strong. Plugs are pretty black, so i might have a bike mechanic friend of mine get the carbs dialed in for me when I get it finished. But now it's time for a complete disassembly and prep for paint. Oh, and decide on a color!
2008 Roketa 50
Old 04-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #134
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,929
This is an awesome thread.
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #135
Cowboy OP
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
This is an awesome thread.
It IS becoming a bit of a repository for obscure information about CB160s. Funny, it was originally going to be nothing more than a place to document my restoration. I'm kind of glad I've dragged my feet a bit. It gives people more time to chime in here, and add to the collective knowledge!

Interestingly, ADV threads seem to have a favored status in Google search results. Every time I search for anything related to CB160s, this thread appears near the top of the search results. The more information we can stuff into this thread, the easier restorations will become for future Cb160 owners.