ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #361
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 931
Should have searched first...lazy!

Found some links to my questions, at least for a 950 so far anyway...
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #362
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,231
Would you be interested in a FMF can? I have one leftover from my 2into1.
PM if so. I sold off the stock mid-pipe, so no going back for me.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #363
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 931
That depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Would you be interested in a FMF can? I have one leftover from my 2into1.
PM if so. I sold off the stock mid-pipe, so no going back for me.
Possibly. Sending a PM.
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #364
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,403
Ned,

I did my first ride with the 950 since installing the 2-into-1 and the ADV tank- best mod I've done to the bike by far. I've always had a slight flat spot that no amount of playing with the carbs ever fixed; with the 2-into-one, that's gone!

And the extra range is just freeing; I wasn't worried about fuel at all! Normally it's always on my mind. The placement of the aux. tank is perfect- I didn't notice the extra weight at all.

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #365
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,231
Got my tank installed today. STill have to fill up with fuel.

I already had the midpipe done. The tank alone wasn't too bad of a job.
I ended up doing some filing on my forward pipe bracket to allow for enough radial clearance for the tank bracket to work. I'm a little uneasy about that upper tank mount. I expected to see a full rubber grommet. I'm accepting that this works. There are so many out there working good already.
Looking forward to doing a full week of riding to work without a gas stop.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #366
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Got my tank installed today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
I expected to see a full rubber grommet.
The issue is that the mounting bracket from KTM offers so little real estate within to work with.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #367
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I've done probably 25 2 into 1 installs, and for about 20 of them, the graphite rings just slid right out. The remainder were a mess, I've reused them and they seem to work but they clearly were much worse for the wear after using an x-acto, screw driver, etc to remove them.

Seems to be a luck of the draw thing...
Guess I drew a short(er) straw. The graphite rings were in great shape but the bolt on the right side header clamp sheared off. Was turning ok, progress being made and then 'ping' and that was that. Grrrr. Had about 5mm of bolt sticking out of the little steel cylinder, 30 min WD40 soak, propane torch, vice&channel locks yielded nothing. Notched the 5mm remaining, took the hand impact driver, corner of the impact bit snaps off and hits me face just under safety glasses Back to soaking in the WD40, off to Sears, new impact bit, more propane torching, nothing, impact driver just slowly eats it's way through the stainless leaving me with about 2mm sticking out. Momentarily dallied with using a bolt extractor -- not sure why as they always seem to break off inside and really hose you -- till I remembered how hard it is to drill stainless.

$31 for a new clamp, ouch. Fun fun fun, was hoping to go ride this weekend.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 11:28 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #368
nevermind
Swamp Thing
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Guess I drew a short(er) straw. The graphite rings were in great shape but the bolt on the right side header clamp sheared off. Was turning ok, progress being made and then 'ping' and that was that. Grrrr. Had about 5mm of bolt sticking out of the little steel cylinder, 30 min WD40 soak, propane torch, vice&channel locks yielded nothing. Notched the 5mm remaining, took the hand impact driver, corner of the impact bit snaps off and hits me face just under safety glasses Back to soaking in the WD40, off to Sears, new impact bit, more propane torching, nothing, impact driver just slowly eats it's way through the stainless leaving me with about 2mm sticking out. Momentarily dallied with using a bolt extractor -- not sure why as they always seem to break off inside and really hose you -- till I remembered how hard it is to drill stainless.

$31 for a new clamp, ouch. Fun fun fun, was hoping to go ride this weekend.
Thanks for adding this, it's good to know and I'll add some anti-seize next time I'm in there...

I have these sockets and they've worked well when I've had the real estate to work with:
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #369
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by never mind
Thanks for adding this, it's good to know and I'll add some anti-seize next time I'm in there...

I have these sockets and they've worked well when I've had the real estate to work with:
Yeah I have a similar thing but lacked the real-estate. I'll be planning on using some hi-temp copper anti-seize on the new ones.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #370
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Yeah I have a similar thing but lacked the real-estate. I'll be planning on using some hi-temp copper anti-seize on the new ones.
That sucks! One idea- can you drive them through the other way? Sometimes the threads are cleaned out, and if the bolt is sheared off, maybe you can just push it through since there's no head to stop it any more.

Another technique I've used with varying success is drilling a pilot hole down the center of the snapped bolt, then going bigger and bigger until you can essentially crush the bolt out from wherever it is.

__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #371
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
That sucks! One idea- can you drive them through the other way? Sometimes the threads are cleaned out, and if the bolt is sheared off, maybe you can just push it through since there's no head to stop it any more.
Back side was flush when it sheared off, so no .... but thanks for the idea.

As far as anti-seize is concerned, whats the temp of the exhaust at the clamp area? I have a large tub of NAPA anti-seize thats rated for 1600 farenheit. You can get ceramic and nickel based stuff thats good upto 2400 farenheit.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 06:22 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #372
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
As far as anti-seize is concerned, whats the temp of the exhaust at the clamp area? I have a large tub of NAPA anti-seize thats rated for 1600 farenheit.
Head temps are far less than that, so I'd be surprised if that far down the exhaust they reach anywhere near that. No testing to support that, tho...

__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #373
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,231
Low fuel light on at 212miles. Normal for me was 168miles before the aux tank.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #374
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Low fuel light on at 212miles. Normal for me was 168miles before the aux tank.
You'll find the fuel light lasts for a lot longer, too... there's still a lot of fuel in the rear tank when the light comes on.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #375
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
You'll find the fuel light lasts for a lot longer, too... there's still a lot of fuel in the rear tank when the light comes on.


My very first tank the fuel light came on at 170 (it was mostly offroad). I was able to easily get another 30 miles out of that and still had some fuel left.

Ned, With your aux tank installed about on average how far do you normally push it when the light comes on?

Also has anyone tried using one of those self venting things for the tank? My vent hose doesn't want to stay put.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014