Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #31
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
A few updates:

3) The ADV collector pipe is different from the SE. Since I started with the SE, that'll be available first. I should have the first piece to test and approve in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I do I'll post pictures. The ADV piece will follow.

I'll start taking orders for the SE piece as soon as I've tested the production part, since by then I'll have a pretty solid timeline. There will be a discount for pre-orders.

Thanks for the interest!
If you have a price range you think these may fall in, please post it. I may be interested in getting on the list for the 2 into 1 header for the ADV bike, if you need a tester let me know.

Keep up the great work.
Can't wait to see some more pics of the progress.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #32
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
We decided I should swap my worn 908 for a scorpion for the dyno, they came out to watch me change the tire and were bug-eyed when I pulled off a sub 10 minute swap in the cold.

Holy *&%# Ned. I think that we all could learn a thing or two from this.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
If you have a price range you think these may fall in, please post it.

Keep up the great work.
Thanks!

Regarding pricing:

The 2 into 1 for either the SE or Adventure will be between $200 and $250, depending on where the final price from the vendor comes in. The SE will be available first, the adventure will follow fairly quickly.

I'd love to be on the bottom of that range, but the Jet-Hot coating is really pricey stuff, coating a pipe costs almost as much as making it. I could have them chromed (like stock) for much less, but by all reports, the chrome is just not very durable and the last thing I want is for people to have trouble 2 years down the road.

If anyone wants one in plain steel, I can do that as well for a substantial discount. You're on your own for corrosion, though.

If the buyer wants a Remus Titanium exhaust, including the removable spark arrestor, the cost will be $450 more than the 2 into 1 without an exhaust. These are really nice exhausts, much preferable to the FMFs in terms of quality and durability. Normal cost on these systems is $900, and we lucked into getting them to sell us half a system.

I'm still hashing out how to take orders, I'll make an announcement here with details as soon as I have a final price and how to order. I'll also get up a good dyno chart at the same time, getting the files converted had sort of fallen off my radar screen with so many other irons in the fire.

I've been hard at work on the tank, it has changed shape substantially since my last photo here, but I'm going to hold off on pictures until I'm comfortable that I've arrived at the right design. In any case, it will definitely work on both the Adventure and SE, and will look really good on both as well, it's amazing how similar the lines turn out to be.

Thanks for your interest!

More to follow...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #34
neduro OP
Addict

The tank is taking shape- here are some screenshots. It is designed for both the ADV and the SE.

This is taken from the inside (tire side) as it was the easiest perspective to label everything from.

Here it is from the outside:

We used a translucent material in the model (as we will on the production version), so the backside contours show through. The outside of the tank is essentially flat.

Taken from the front/ inside:

Rear/ outside:

The usable volume will be over 2 gallons, with the weight concentrated absolutely as far forward and down low as possible, both for mass centralization and to minimize the load on the subframe.

Material will be cross-link polymer- super strong. I intend to have them made in natural so that you can easily see your fuel level, but it should be possible to make a black or colored version if enough people wanted it.

There will be 3 mount points: the exhaust hanger, the subframe where the distributor pipe used to mount, and the passenger peg.

The upper 2 mounts will take the weight, and are both rubber mounted on the bike side, key for long life in tough environments. The passenger peg mount is for stability, to keep the tank from swinging in on a big hit. The pass peg mount will bolt to the back of the peg on the ADV, we still have to figure out exactly how it will work on the SE (the passenger pegs on the SE don't have a mount point). In addition, we'll have an optional bracket for SE owners that didn't get passenger pegs.

The lower edge of the tank is parallel with the swingarm at full compression, and there is lots of clearance between the tire and tank, and the chain and tank. I had a baja designs tank on my 525, and wasn't anxious to repeat those issues.

The tank will work with the stock KTM racks on an Adventure, as well as with Caribou case racks. It should also work with SW motech quick release racks although I haven't had a bike with those on which to verify. It will not work, sadly, with Jesse luggage, as the Jesse bags turn in beneath the pipe and take up the same real estate as the tank.

There are still too many vendors involved to commit to a timeline yet, but I hope early summer. Final pricing is tbd, but our target is below $400 (including the tank and all hardware, but not a 2 into 1).

The "we" in question is Kurt from Black Dog Cycle Works. I've gotten to know Kurt through Baja and his work on the Black Dog skidplates, and we've been working on this together from the start. All sales of this stuff will go through his shop, which will provide great customer service as he does with all his products.

For anyone that wants to preorder, we will be offering a significant discount, but we're waiting until we have our ducks in a row and a timeline we can commit to before we take any $$.

Now, 2 into 1's: The vendor has been much slower than promised, but at last we are making progress. I should have the SE first article this week, which I'll dyno together with the Remus pipe and then we'll make those available. For those of you who have PM'd, I'll get back to you as soon as we have a committed timeline.

We'll also be dynoing a 950/990 adventure prototype this week, and get those into production as well. Complete Dyno charts will be up here...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.

neduro screwed with this post 04-21-2008 at 10:13 AM
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #35
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,724
wow, nice work Ned.

interest piqued.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #36
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,013

ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Nice!

That collector could use a little help.....http://www.burnsstainless.com/MergeC...into1base.html

Also, electroless nickel will hold up much better than chrome.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #38
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Nice!

That collector could use a little help.....http://www.burnsstainless.com/MergeC...into1base.html

Also, electroless nickel will hold up much better than chrome.
I couldn't find a reasonably priced stainless vendor, so I decided against that route (price was about 4-5x).

They won't be chromed, they will be Jet-hot coated, which should be durable and easy to clean. I hope.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #39
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,670

Ready and waiting to preorder when given the word....

BTW I got a set of the SWMotech quick release racks I can send out to you to test fit if you want. I got no bags now so they are just sitting in the garage....
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #40
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,547
Will be interested to see if it will work with the KTM soft luggage racks for the SE....
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #41
Groomez
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Interested

I have nothing insightful to contribute for you experts here. Just want to say I'm interested in the 2 in 1 as well as aux fuel tank. Ned, you're doing great work on this.

You know, to ease the burden off the shoulders, if you guys had a definitive plan for the 2 in 1 and aux fuel tank, I imagine you could liscense the idea out to KTM HQ for some serious $$$. Apply for a provisional patent that doesn't cost you much as a full blown patent. If you worked out a deal you could get a hefty rev share from each sale.... anyways I'm rambling here.. and a little drunk.

groomez
RIP #58
Current:
2010 Ducati Streetfighter
Groomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #42
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 973
Damn Ned! Your the man!

I'm more than interested in the products.
Let me know what helps you get the products to me as soon as your ready.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #43
Design4D
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 172
Nice

Design4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #44
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,525
Woohoo Ned!

DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote