User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
Unstable Rider OP
Moto Fotografist

Oddometer: 2,671
The Fuji camera picture thread

Some of us were talking recently on a another photography posted thread, and the topic started to lean towards Fuji's digital line of smaller mirrorless "rangefinder" type bodies that have wonderfully large sensors. Rather than continue to hijack the thread, I thought it right to move the conversation and thought the Fuji folks might want to keep this going.

There are some other fine Fuji cameras out there beyond this line, so those are welcome posts or Q's too.

I will toss one down here for seed, From my Fuji XE-1 that I got used, with the f/2.8 = 27mm prime pancake lens.

1/210 sec., f/5.6, ISO 200

Shot from a tripod.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Following this thread, I have long been interested in these apparently awesome cameras!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Unstable Rider OP
Moto Fotografist

Thanks ZG,

Some of us wandered off into conversation about Fuji specifically, on a guys post where he was looking for small, quality camera options, and we more or less hijacked his topic. I could talk about Fuji, technique and post processing and view other's pics all day long, so I thought I would put the option out there to move.

So the original conversation came from this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076212

Welcome!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 4,054
Already off topic but a software question. I want to start shooting some RAW and HDR stuff and I'm looking into Lightroom and combine that with Google's NIK package. Pros/cons? Normal Photoshop does not process RAW, is that correct?

Bottom line: Newb to advanced photography what software would you advise and what free on-line photo tutorials would you recommend?

OBTW - I carry a Fuji XP in my riding jacket pocket and now also carry with me a Lumix DMC-LX7 which will be my platform for better photos. I think I will sell my Canon Rebel system, just too much weight and bulk.

Thank you OP.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Shot from a tripod.

My BMW mechanic, Motohank, is the biggest fan of Fuji cameras out there.

Regarding your sample pic, it's a little misrepresented of a Fuji's capability since it's HDR post process.

Got any samples of your work straight out of the camera?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
I have been a X100s as my more or less exclusive on bike camera for a couple of years. I only take the Nikon DSLR when I need to now and the third option is my X10 which is the camera that got me into Fuji.
I do have both the wide and tele adapters for the X100s and the wide gets quite a bit of use, the tele less so. I have NEVER been on a ride and thought that I have missed a shot I want to take because of the Fuji only having a fixed focal length lens.
Some samples;

#1 with WCL-X100 fitted

#2 Panorama multiple images stitched. Again with WCL-X100 fitted.

#3 Standard lens

#4 with WCL-X100 fitted

#5 Standard lens

#6 Standard lens cropped as a pano

#7 They make a great street camera. Notice the guy on the left has a X100.

#8 Love shooting into the sun with the X100s. Standard lens

#9 Despite what the Exif says this is a shot with the TCL-X100 fitted

#10 and another with the TCL-X100 fitted

Having a camera with a fixed focal length is in many ways a very liberating experience. It does make you think way more about composition but it also stops you from worrying whether you have the equipment to get every shot which it is not necessary to do.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Already off topic but a software question. I want to start shooting some RAW and HDR stuff and I'm looking into Lightroom and combine that with Google's NIK package. Pros/cons? Normal Photoshop does not process RAW, is that correct?
Nik works okay for HDR but I do find that with Fuji files it is prone to introducing halos unless you are careful. If you don't know what halos are they are generally thin lines around the edges of defined objects. For example on the horizon between the green land and the blue sky.
Photoshop definitely handles RAW images. That is what Photohsop exists for.
If you go with the $10/month Adobe Photographers bundle that gives you both Photoshop and Lightroom you will have everything you need to start, The latest (2015) actually allows you to merge to HDR and merge to Panorama directly from within LR. All you have to do is select the images you want to merge and essentially with one click its done. The pano function now works really well. The HDR is a little basic but it is workable and can be combined with other software to get good results if you want.

Both Adobe and NIK have a huge selection of on line tutorials available either via their own web sites or by searching YouTube.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
biffstephens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Awesome thread! Thanks Paul for the invite.

I have a 5D MK3 that I use to mostly photograph cycling. I have a few pieces of glass...my favorite bing my 70-200 2.8 IS and my 35MM 1.4 Sigma...

So I got my bike and felt like a needed a camera to be able to take along something nice BUT not take too much.

K1W1, wonderful photos! Great great stuff...

I will post some stuff that I have taken with my X100T but I can tell you I love the camera as long as the subject is not moving 35 MPH...
Attached Images

biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
biffstephens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=ac7ba6bdce

Hope this link works...it was a trip to NOLA with my Fuji...I just bought the bike 6 months ago and will take my first trip to Glacier National Park this month....so I hope to have many more Fuji photos....
biffstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #10
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Both Adobe and NIK have a huge selection of on line tutorials available either via their own web sites or by searching YouTube.
Thank you Kiwi. I hate being a newb but yes I have looked and watched several tutorials. I was thinking there was one in particular to start with first. I have Adobe Adobe Photoshop 6.0.

More study and photo time is needed me thinks.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
Unstable Rider OP
Moto Fotografist

Wow, you guys moved fast in my absence..

I will try to cover several bits in one post here...

Ok, TRICEPILOT,

You are right, indeed.
I should not have tossed out an HDR/Fuji image as a starting photo.
Yep, I have other examples... and will try to include the EXIF data in screenshots, so another shooter can use it as a recipe, or just see what worked for me.

A falls a short ride from my place. It's one of my "shooting galleries" for me to go practice on, break in a new lens, or try a new technique .

And the waterway itself is a never ending "sea" of wonderful moving water shots and rocks.

If you read the EXIF data.... I used an 85mm lens on this image. A CANON 85mm prime

WTF?

Yes, indeed. With a cheap $17 dollar China imported adapter, and full manual settings that I will explain in greater detail if or when someone wants to know how to do that.... . it makes a very balanced setup actually. I have not shot with it handheld much, I normally always shoot rather slow exposures via tripod. I worked mostly at the telephoto end of lens for 30 years, and I am tired of that.

I am addicted to "black filter" work with my Canon and my Fuji. I am using a 10 stop black filter that is German made by a company called BW (which does not stand for black and white).

I work pretty well always from a small travel- tripod. I enjoy "slow set ups" really taking in my composition, talking to anyone else that has stopped to enjoy the same view, etc. This can cause me to pretty well ride alone on days where I want to take some particular pics, as I can take forever to shoot a shot like these.

The B & W shot below was shot with the 27mm Fuji-prime pancake.... I just held my ten stop filter (tightly) against the little lens. Sometimes low tech is the way to go.

100 seconds exposure at 5:30 pm.!

If you have not shot manually with your Fuji yet in "bulb" mode, you are missing a treat. Much like my Canon T3i, the Fuji has a wonderfully handy digital timer that counts off during long bulb shots!

Ahh, use a remote!

If you have access to a Canon 17-40 L, it is a terriif landscape lens rig with a adapter on the Fuji. Sadly, I traded this lens with another fellow for some other gear- but it works way better on a Fuji than it did on my old 5D III.

Oh, I forgot to say, the ten stop black filter lets you shoot long exposure shots like THIS ONE below, in the DAYTIME.

This one below, was a 90 second exposure at 5:23 p.m. in April....

Someone asked about cracking raws from the Fuji line. I have Photoshop CS 5, and you are right, it wont open them. I had access for a year to the Cloud based version while I was in a class. I use Lightroom, but find the workflow PAINFUL if I just want to crack one image open on impulse.

SAGELIGHT Editor will crack open Fuji Raw files with ease!

Many times, I will use it to open the Fuji file, make basic tweaks in Sagelight, save it to the desktop, and then open it with Photoshop CS 5, and that works well.

Sagelight has a 30 day free trial. And it does not cost that much to just buy it $40 bucks USA funds.

http://www.sagelighteditor.com/

I don't think they have a MAC version though...

More later,
you guys have some great questions, sub-topics, Biff and K1W1,

YOUR PICS ARE WONDERFUL!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
bwhip62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I bought an X100T at the end of last year, and have been incredibly impressed by it. It's about all I take on bike trips now, whether dirt or street. Here are a few examples:

Many more in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=bwhip%27s
bwhip62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Fuji X-E1 and XF35mm;

'Highland Cattle', Central Scotland;

Highland cattle by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

Frank Zappa

ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #14