Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Kiba OP
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 182
1973 Harley-Davidson Sportster Survivor

Got this last week.

Contrary to all available evidence, I am somewhat poor, so it takes a pretty damn good deal to justify a motorcycle purchase. Let's just say I did well on this one.

It's a 1973 XLH1000, electric start only, with roughly 9000 miles on the clock and about 95% original. It leaks a little but otherwise seems to run and ride very well excluding some old bike quirks.

I took out my grandad's old set of imperial car tools and tossed them into a bag with some oil, rags, pliers and screwdrivers, and proceeded to ride it around. So far it hasn't skipped a beat except for a dead battery (now charging) which was already a known issue.

I've always admired old bikes of all kinds, most from a distance due to the cost, but I've never considered myself an "HD guy" so this has been an interesting new experience. As long as it remains reliable with proper maintenance though I like it, and don't mind the myriad quirks it comes with. It's a cantankerous, vibey creature, it has an extremely heavy clutch and is geared such that you have to slip the clutch at any speed under 20mph. It's jneither easy to ride nor what you would call comfortable.

But on the plus side, it's a hot-rodded tractor engine in the absolute best way, has mountains of torque, sounds great (with stock pipes, by the way), brakes acceptably for a bike its age and actually corners well.

It also looks amazing and distinctive- the engine is really one of the nicest designs I have ever come in contact with, visually at least, and so many details on the bike are attractive in their execution.

I would post more but have finished a long day at work. In the meantime, any suggestions on sources for parts and maintenance advice, etc?

Harley seems less forthcoming about parts fiche and so on than the Japanese makers are, so every little bit helps.

Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,340
Very cool! An unmolested Sportster of that vintage must be a real rarity.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 AM   #3
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Now THAT'S a Sportster! Love it man. Congrats!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,469
Nice find !!!

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
Philthy64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Congrats Kiba - potentially a beautiful bike. Shame about little things like the butchered guard on the front.
They are a labour of love but as time goes by, rarer and rarer in stock trim.
I had a 76 or thereabouts once upon a time and they certainly are tractors, but their beauty is in their simplicity and you don't have to be a mechanic or computer geek to work on them. I really hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Philthy

My old XLCH -

Philthy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
th arch-enemy of

my 70s Triumph, love to run into you at that red light on the edge of town, middle of the night.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,422
Awesome! I have a 72. I have to admit, I wasn't prepared to like the bike as much as I have. Yours looks pretty orginal. It's a shame they cut up that front fender, they're kind of hard to come by. You even have the original exhaust which another thing that gets lost. Are you sure about the mileage? That's an aftermarket speedometer. All the same, the bike is (mostly) original. It seems that with Harleys, it takes more effort to keep them original than anything else. Many people succumb to the temptation to fiddle with them in less than beneficial ways. Check out the XLforum.net. They'll be pretty excited to see that bike and probably offer some good pointers on getting it up to snuff. Enjoy.

drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 732
Thumb

Nice Sporty, pretty much unmolested! Check out J&P Cycles vintage catalog for sheet metal and more if you go the resto route with this one.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
What?
curmudgeon

Oddometer: 360
I just picked one up on Saturday. Same color but 1980.
I bought it from a guy that had stripped it down to the bare frame and was going to power coat it. That was three or four years ago. From the look of it, I would say that it spent most of its life under the porch, but I should have it back together in a couple of weeks.
Is this the kind of bike Evel Kenevel used to jump with? He was nuts!
What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
Elburrito
Donkey

Oddometer: 2,353
Not a harley guys but that's a really nice find, love how original it looks.

care to share what you paid for it?
Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,615
Sweet, nice to find a survivor.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,308
there's a '74 kicking around the garage here. Heavily modded to look like an early '60s model.

Unusual to see one with the stock AMF tank.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #13
oupa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
+1 on the XLforum, particularly the ironhead forum found here.

My first H-D was a 73 Sportster and you know what5 they say avbout your first love.
oupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Nice find! I wouldn't take too much to get it back pretty close to original. A couple fenders painted to match the tank and a stock seat would go a long way. Handlebars and instruments would just about finish it. I have an '83 Ironhead that's fairly close to stock...

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #15
GBen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Do as little as possible to it to keep it reliable and rideable. In your spare time collect the few original parts it does not have and put them in a box or on the bike, your choice.

Harley only made 20,000 Sportsters of all types in 1973, a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands of Japanese appliances scattered all over the earth like confetti at a wedding.

After forty plus years how many are left intact? Hardly any at all. Back then Harley was the number-one bike to chop and butcher .
GBen is offline   Reply With Quote