ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #136
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP
I won't post all the pics I took but will give a link to them. Most are from the Motocross exhibit. Anyone is free to copy and use them to show an old bike they may have had. Look under June 2005 and June 2006.
www.jrp650.smugmug.com


Now that is one cool ass Maico. Wheelsmith everything...
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #137
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Heres what one of those looked like in 1975! Also pictured is a 1975 Falta 380.
The Dad is standing next to the GP Maico, my uncle is standing next to his CZ.

__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #138
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman
 
Curvy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Reno County Kansas
Oddometer: 8,008
I going to throw up some of my old Husky pix that you have probably seen before.

About 1978 on my 73 250 CR

A 1978 390 OR with a CR tank that I owned for many years.

The secret stash. There is a 400 CR in there somewhere also.
__________________
Memories stalk my dreams and torture my tattered old soul.
Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #139
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home
 
chiefrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: The lovely Willamette Valley
Oddometer: 2,259
Au contraire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
The worst open class two stroke to ever hit the dez was the 400 cc Suzuki Cyclone. Stupid "light switch" power band and ZERO handeling. Most of the time the bike broke before it could kill anyone.

The Cyclone could be made ridable and competitive with a few things like a bolt-on flywheel and some ignition fiddling.

The WORST MXer/desert bike of the era has to be the Yamaha SC500. Some call it "The Widowmaker."

With a flexifragile frame and the crappiest suspension in an era of marginal suspension, it shook its steering head like a pit bull with a squeeze toy, hopped around like a rabbit on meth, and stalled when the rider least expected it. And that 500cc lump--lots of power on top, but with no bottom or midrange--a toggle-switch powerband. All this with a four-speed box! It's ignition system let timing wander all over the place, resulting in seizures when the bike was pushed hard (a rather bad thing in a race bike, no?).

I saw a motocross race where a Honda 250 Elsinore 250 smoked a SC500 like a cheap cigar. The Honda had no where near the power of the Yamaha, but it handled so much better and had predictable power coming out of corners and through the rough.

Unlike the Suzuki Cyclone, you almost NEVER see these turkeys for sale. If you do, just keep walking....



Since then, Yamaha has pretty much gotten its act together in the off-road bikes.

Tom in Salem,OR
__________________
I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make something beautiful, and that all beautiful things are made by those who strive to make something useful. --Oscar Wilde
chiefrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #140
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special
 
vintagemxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider
The Cyclone could be made ridable and competitive with a few things like a bolt-on flywheel and some ignition fiddling.

The WORST MXer/desert bike of the era has to be the Yamaha SC500. Some call it "The Widowmaker."

With a flexifragile frame and the crappiest suspension in an era of marginal suspension, it shook its steering head like a pit bull with a squeeze toy, hopped around like a rabbit on meth, and stalled when the rider least expected it. And that 500cc lump--lots of power on top, but with no bottom or midrange--a toggle-switch powerband. All this with a four-speed box! It's ignition system let timing wander all over the place, resulting in seizures when the bike was pushed hard (a rather bad thing in a race bike, no?).

I saw a motocross race where a Honda 250 Elsinore 250 smoked a SC500 like a cheap cigar. The Honda had no where near the power of the Yamaha, but it handled so much better and had predictable power coming out of corners and through the rough.

Unlike the Suzuki Cyclone, you almost NEVER see these turkeys for sale. If you do, just keep walking....


Since then, Yamaha has pretty much gotten its act together in the off-road bikes.

Tom in Salem,OR
Working from memory here: When Dirt Bike Magazine test the SC500 the story lead read "It's gray and black. So is a turkey. Yamaha's 500cc ground gobbler."

I believe it was honesty like that that made Dirt Bike famous and got Super Hunky a pink slip.

As for the TM400, I only rode one once and it seemed to be a bit of a handful. I do recall endless discussions and articles on how to improve the handling because the motor made big power and who could resist that? Some guys even resorted to cutting the frame and splicing in pieces to lower the CG. Not unlike the extremes guys went to to try and make the Kaw triples and 900 handle.

Helmets: Pudding bowls with leather ear flaps, then came various open face models. I'm thinking the early 60s for those. The first Bell Star came out ('69?) and we realized that face protection might be a good thing. I saw a guy do a face plant on the pavement during the "Carlsbad Grand Prix" (dirt and pavement race ala the Elsinore Grand Prix) and decided I needed some too. Webco made a bolt on nylon face guard kind of like a football helmet guard that you could put on your open face helmet. Wrap that with electrical tape and you had some stone protection if you didn't have a Jofa to wear like the cool guys.

Doug
__________________
'74 BMW R90S,
'70 Bultaco Sherpa in pieces
My pics My Blog
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #141
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
Working from memory here: When Dirt Bike Magazine test the SC500 the story lead read "It's gray and black. So is a turkey. Yamaha's 500cc ground gobbler."

I believe it was honesty like that that made Dirt Bike famous and got Super Hunky a pink slip.

As for the TM400, I only rode one once and it seemed to be a bit of a handful. I do recall endless discussions and articles on how to improve the handling because the motor made big power and who could resist that? Some guys even resorted to cutting the frame and splicing in pieces to lower the CG. Not unlike the extremes guys went to to try and make the Kaw triples and 900 handle.

Helmets: Pudding bowls with leather ear flaps, then came various open face models. I'm thinking the early 60s for those. The first Bell Star came out ('69?) and we realized that face protection might be a good thing. I saw a guy do a face plant on the pavement during the "Carlsbad Grand Prix" (dirt and pavement race ala the Elsinore Grand Prix) and decided I needed some too. Webco made a bolt on nylon face guard kind of like a football helmet guard that you could put on your open face helmet. Wrap that with electrical tape and you had some stone protection if you didn't have a Jofa to wear like the cool guys.
Doug
I remember hearing some discussion about a debate going on back in the day related to full face helmets. Similar to the loud pipes save lives kinda debate.
What was the argument? Were there guys who disliked the full face setup? I still have a Bell open face that I like to wear if I'm not following any open bikes!!
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #142
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Solaros1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
I remember hearing some discussion about a debate going on back in the day related to full face helmets. Similar to the loud pipes save lives kinda debate.
What was the argument? Were there guys who disliked the full face setup? I still have a Bell open face that I like to wear if I'm not following any open bikes!!
The first series Bell Stars had a fairly small eye hole - I still have mine and the view was somewhat restricted compared to an open face helmet. A buddy of mine had bought one after breaking his nose after a hard landing after a jump. At his first motocross race at Franklin, GA after getting the new helmet he was third going into the first turn and was clipped from behind. He went down in front of the other 35-40 bikes in the field and one of them ran over his head as he looked back over his shoulder. The knobbie track up over the front and top of his fresh white Bell Star was enough to convince the rest of us to go buy one ourselves.

Solaros1 screwed with this post 01-25-2008 at 07:23 PM
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #143
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1
The first series Bell Stars had a fairly small eye hole - I still have mine and the view was somewhat restricted compared to an open face helmet. A buddy of mine had bought one and at his first motocross race at Franklin, GA after getting the new helmet he was third going into the first turn and was clipped from behind. He went down in front of the other 35-40 bikes in the field and one of them ran over his head as he looked back over his shoulder. The knobbie track up over the front and top of his fresh white Bell Star was enough to convince the rest of us to go buy one ourselves.
Ya I understand that, I almost always ride with a full face. If you were on a grass track by yourself open face is fine, but otherwise...
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #144
TREE
Interloper
 
TREE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 3,299


TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #145
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE



Hey thanks for fixing my photo!!

What program did you use??
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #146
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,883
a hippie!!

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #147
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
a hippie!!


He was totally a hippie! In another photo he had purple sunglasses! Compared to what he looks like today (clean cut) thats hilarious!
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #148
TREE
Interloper
 
TREE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
Hey thanks for fixing my photo!!

What program did you use??
Hi OAS !

....... all I use is the prgm that came with my Canon scanner, ArcSoft Photostudio.
Mostly it is just colour correcting and sometimes density also.
Quite simple if you know which of the six colours you need to get rid of.......
I did it for a few yrs as a profession so I have an edge.
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #149
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer
 
deerslayR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Sands of South Jersey
Oddometer: 3,020
Trail/Enduro Rider Here.......

............Started on a rotary valve 175cc Kawasaki F7. 1972.



Rode it to college classes/work during the week and rode ECEA enduros on the weekends.
Trials universal tires REALLY suck in Jersey sand and mud.

The following year I "upgraded" to a Yamaha DT3 (250).



Faster and better handling.

The last bike used in my first enduro life was a 1976 MR250 Honda with
real Metzeler MC Knobbies and aftermarket Boge/Mulholland shocks.



By then I had a van and a trailer to haul the bike to the fun.

Does anyone remember the T shirts that stated:

"We Don't Care How The Hell They Do It In California"

Had a lot of ignorant fun in the day. Glad I survived.
__________________
AMA 'MOA
ECEA 'RA
ARRA DHMC

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #150
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum
 
Sal Paradise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Morongo Valley, CA
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE
Hi OAS !

....... all I use is the prgm that came with my Canon scanner, ArcSoft Photostudio.
Mostly it is just colour correcting and sometimes density also.
Quite simple if you know which of the six colours you need to get rid of.......
I did it for a few yrs as a profession so I have an edge.
Sick, I tried the program my Nikon came with and it did a little bit. But your program is the hot tip!
__________________
"Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.
- Jack Kerouac, On the Road


Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014