Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Very cool post and pictures dhaynes!
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #1547
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,826
there is nothing better than a jersey that doesn't match the bike picture.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #1548
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
there is nothing better than a jersey that doesn't match the bike picture.

dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #1549
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes

sweet. it gets better..

I seem to remember the 480's getting really bad reviews at the time. there sure seem to be a lot on EBay so they must have sold a lot.

what are your recollections of the 480?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #1550
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
what are your recollections of the 480?
and I'm assuming you came off a 390 Husky? love to hear that comparison.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #1551
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Quote:
and I'm assuming you came off a 390 Husky? love to hear that comparison.
The Husky was like most Huskys... it felt very long, was definitely on the heavy side. It would turn extremely well as long as you had something to put the front wheel against. It did not change directions fast and it did not like to slide, but if you could find a berm a slight lip or something it'd go around the corner like it was on rails. Fantastic in the icky stuff, mud or really rough terrain, in the trees. Suspension was super plush. Motor was absolutely flawless, going to the Mikuni carbs from the old Bings and Amals made it not only have a flawless power band but (finally) reliable and consistent power too. I never had to do any work to the 390, ever. Top end, transmission, cables, nothing ever so much as hiccuped.

The 480 was a very visceral/explosive bike. It was like having a 50 horsepower 125cc except for the mass/momentum that would show up in unexpected places. I recall the center of gravity feeling sort of high on it but it was the first really long travel bike I had owned. I'm 5'10" but only have about a 31" inseam so it took some getting used to. I absolutely loved the motor in it but it would have been way too "edgy" to ride hare scrambles or anything on. It was a 100% race track bike and 0% cowtrail/enduro, that may be why people didn't like 'em. I never really did get the suspension sorted but it was all "new fangled" stuff at the time and really need someone who was intimate with suspension to tune it properly and I wasn't serious about racing any more so never got it tweaked. It was one of those bikes where if you spent the time with it to make it work the way you wanted to, it would be a real weapon of mass destruction, but if you fought it, you'd lose every time.

I'm pretty much one of those "get along" riders. I never made significant modifications to any of the MX bikes I ever owned. I'd learn to adapt to the bike rather than spending (wasting) hours trying to make it something it might never be. With the exception of the Husky 175 I never had any porting, pipes, head work, reed valves or any of that crap. I'd change the grips to something that suited me, maybe have the footpegs roughened up a bit to get better grip in the mud and I'd put some diagonal grooves the brake shoes with a triangular file so that they brakes would work well in mud/water. If it rained, I usually won because I was quite fast in the sloppy stuff. Other than that though, I'd ride 'em stock.

Basically, all my memories of both bikes were good but I haven't owned anything that I outright hated either. Hell I still look at the occasional used RV-90 Suzuki and consider grabbing one because I had so much fun on my dad's
Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #1552
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Graphic example of why I used to leave my bikes almostly completely stock

(warning: imminent descent into the bowels of jomamma!)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=970

If you ain't winnin', it's almost certainly not the bike's fault. Try adding rider mods
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #1553
DVDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
What I liked about riding in the '70s is that you could pick up your riding gear at Farm and Fleet.
DVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #1554
DVDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Hopefully the attachment comes across. This is me and my Hodaka B+ in a motocross race at Wendy Oaks track, Anamosa, IA. Note the Filtron Face Mask. Essential, unless you wanted to breathe powedered cow manure.

DVDub screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 07:45 PM
DVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #1555
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDub
Hopefully the attachment comes across. This is me and my Hodaka B+ in a motocross race at Wendy Oaks track, Anamosa, IA. Note the Filtron Face Mask. Essential, unless you wanted to breathe powedered cow manure.

(aren't those masks standard issue in Washington D.C.? )
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #1556
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,311
1969, football face guard and all...

Later in life...

ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #1557
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 932
Best pic of the day! Thanks for sharing! That old Bul looks great...F.X. Bulto must be smiling somewhere!
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #1558
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
1969, football face guard and all...

Later in life...

OK, so you're an old D37 guy. What are the letters on your plate? These days the "C" would be the 125 class, and the "X" is the 250 class. And the little red triangle. Is that for skill level? These days you have a color bar running across the bottom of the numbers for skill level.

Cool old pic. My mom used to ride a 200 Sherpa, '66 I think.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #1559
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
OK, so you're an old D37 guy. What are the letters on your plate? These days the "C" would be the 125 class, and the "X" is the 250 class. And the little red triangle. Is that for skill level?
Yep, Lucerne, Cal City, etc. The triangle is the seasonal sticker. That one is the last year I was active, 1971. It has a peace sign in the middle...

p.s. your sig line has Metralla spelled wrong
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #1560
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
The C and the X were for the "Lightweight" class which was 101cc to 200cc. It was the first year for the class and they still had the Trail bike class 0 to 100cc. It was also the first year they used a color to designate what you were ranked. White middle was novice, yellow was ammie, and black was expert. With color designation was also the first time they split the starts, at first it was Ammie/Expert and then Novice on the second row. I was a Open Class Novice at the time and had the joy of being one of the first novices to experience leading the start line to the smoke bomb. Hard to pick out but my number that year was 1301 and there was an "M" in the lower left of my number plate. Sporting the Desert Turtles' club colors at a European Scrambles in California City!!!!