Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #1591
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodave
This thread kicks SO MUCH ASS!

All my heroes from yesteryear...

Other boys admired sports heroes like Chamberlain or Staubach. I liked DeCoster, Mikkola, and Lackey.

I remember meeting Marty Smith once. It was like meeting a movie star to me!
you haven't lived until you've snuck into the pits at Unadilla and heard Mikkola talking to someone about his bike and heard his Finn accent pronounce Husqvarna.

"ya the hoosuhvaaarn"
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #1592
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I have a thread started in the new shiny things forum called "dirt bikes you'd chose over making out with the girl in the mercury commercials".
I was hoping you'd lead these guys to that thread.
I was about to do it for you...
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #1593
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Me too!
Vintage Days 2007

'76 125 USGP
Mid Ohio

Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #1594
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
I was hoping you'd lead these guys to that thread.
I was about to do it for you...
A link for the unenlightened would have been nice!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438941

Good stuff!
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #1595
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
The one I always wanted.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I've tried to hold off on posting HL 500 pics.....
I don't think this bike has been mentioned here...

http://www.mxworksbike.com/Hallman_Yam_interview.htm

In 1975, I had been the Yamaha distributor for Sweden for a couple of years and I heard of a new four stroke Yamaha that was for the US market, the XT500. Sten Lundin the former 1959 and 1961 500 World Champion was our service manager at the time and he was also very keen on this bike. We tried to get Yamaha Japan to send us some bikes but they refused - these bikes were supposed to be sold in the US only! But our chance to get our hands on such a bike came at the 1975 Six Day Trials in England. Lars Larson, riding the Six Day Trials, knew about our interest and phoned me, telling me that there was an American rider entered in the event with a XT500. I told Lars - go ahead and buy the bike after the event! The rider agreed and the bike was purchased and shipped to Sweden immediately. Sten, being a big four stroke fan, was eager to examine it and decided that the stock chassis was lacking and decided to fit the motor in a Husqvarna chassis. A new project was now under way.

Sten completely stripped the bike down and altered a Husky frame to accommodate the Yamaha motor as well as making several changes to the engine to make it lighter and stronger. When it was all done, a new bike was born, the Hallman & Eneqvist HL 500! We then decided to send the frame to Pro-fab in the US and have the frame copied. Pro-fab built a total of three frames for this bike. (Pro-fab later produced several Aberg-replica-frames for Hallman Racing Inc. sold on the open market.) The project took up almost all of 1976. As all this was going on, I had an idea to enter the bike in the 1977 500 GP's. Former 1969 and 1970 500 World Champion Bengt Aberg was contacted - he was also a big fan of 4-strokes bikes - and after testing the bike he loved it and agreed. Now we needed about 200.000:- SEK extra in funding from the Yamaha factory to do the entire grand-prix season. We, as the Yamaha-importer should put in the same amount ourselves in the project. I decided to contact the marketing people at Yamaha and arrange a meeting. At the meeting, I presented them a proposal and I promised them that the bike should create so much publicity that the bike would be on the cover of at least half of all the dirt bike magazines in the world along with numerous technical articles. I also promised that Bengt should be able to score some GP-points on the bike and to be within the first 10 in a couple of Grand Prix´s. They declined, they could not understand how a bike designed for the California off-road market could be a serious contender in the motocross GP´s! But I did not give up so easy! I decided to go to Amsterdam, the next step on the ladder, to the sales department there and present them the same proposal. They also declined and gave the same reasons. My last chance was to go to the top-guy, Mr. Kuratomo, the same guy that hired me in the beginning. I showed Mr. Kuratomo the same proposal, photos of the bike and made the same promises about being on the cover of all the magazines etc. I told him that the marketing and sales people wasn't interested and declined and Yamaha shouldn't miss such an opportunity in PR for the single cylinder XT500 just being introduced on the European market. His response, only after listening for 5 minutes was "Who said no to this great idea - you can do this for 200.000:- SEK? No problem, Mr. Kuratomo ordered funding for the project!

Now that we were going to race the GP's, we decided to modify the motor. We even commissioned Hedlund to build a three valve head. The bike was very successful in its debut and Bengt scored the first points in a 500 GP since the 1960's with a four stroke engine. In the Luxembourg Grand Prix -77 he managed to win the first race as well as he got third in the second. Bengt and the HL 500 were actually a serious contender during the season and managed to get third place finishes in 4 more races during the season and finished in 9th position total in the World Championship! The bike was such a success, both scoring Grand Prix points but also a fantastic PR-project. Every motorcycle magazines had front pages and countless of articles and pictures of the incredible Yamaha 500cc single cylinder bike! The sales of XT500 rocketed and Yamaha was happy! Later in was decided that Yamaha should build about 200 replicas of the HL500. (We in Sweden were not involved in this project.) These bikes had a chassis that was made in England and they were really not exact replicas. Actually they were not very good bikes at all.

After all the success we had with the initial project, we now decided that the motor should be redesigned from the ground up. Sten had ideas on how to make a very light weight four stroke engine. I went back to Yamaha about this, but this time they declined saying it was just too big of a project. It is interesting to see over twenty years later, Yamaha picking up where we left off in 1977.

ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #1596
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 915
http://www.vimeo.com/2851423

Marty Smith still looks great. Grandfather, even!
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #1597
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 380
Quote:

I remember attending the "Marty Smith Motocross Clinic" at Carlsbad Raceway in the early 90's. I took the class out of respect for Marty accomplishments, and to learn some new tricks of the trade as I was coming out of racing retirement and trying to figure out the long travel suspension stuff. Marty was a great teacher of MX, and made you work hard to improve. Learned alot and became a better rider from it.

I still remember the first "Superbowl of Motocross" and watching Marty runaway with the High School race on an Elsinore 125. He probably could have given some of the big boys a run for their money that night.
AlsoRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #1598
nachtflug
infidel

Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #1599
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 38,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Me too!
Vintage Days 2007

'76 125 USGP
Mid Ohio

Damn. He's aged well!
bongodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #1600
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvy
1978 or so on a my 75 250CR
1975 125 and 250 WR's that followed me home the other day.
Are you sure that's a 125 and/or 1975 model?

I could be completely out of my gourd (well okay, I definitely am) but I vaguely remember the 1975 125cc models being baby blue. The 175cc models were definitely the baby barf yellow that year as that's what I had.

I know that there were years that the 125 was yellow, just not sure if they were in '75.

Mondo cool bikes, hope to see pics when you've got them looking showroom again
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #1601
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad

You should have taken the motor to Steve Kolseth to have his magic KOBA shift kit installed you that gearbox full of neutrals would have gone away!
From Alexey in the Ukraine, the start of the 1972 British 250cc GP with a fantastic KTM holeshot!.

Pavel Rulev (USSR KTM) № 27 gets a flying start, with Sylvain Geboers (Suzuki) № 2, Torleif Hansen (Husqvarna) № 23, Jiry Charavy (CZ) № 5 and winner Jaroslav Falta (CZ) № 7 leading in the pursuing pack.

Not too many neutrals in this KTM gearbox!
rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #1602
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,657
The KOBA "shift kit" re-engineered the Sachs/DKW built motors shift shaft to a design that could only be described (as I remember it) as similar to Hodaka's with a spring loaded paul.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #1603
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Damn. He's aged well!
Much better than I have!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #1604
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
There's a lot of good stuff on the Motocross Action website if you search for JODY from Jody box in the mag
If you go to the features page and search Jody you will find a lot of good stuff

Here's one:
A JOURNEY BACK TO THE EARLY DAYS OF MOTOCROSS
By Jody Weisel

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME...91275B6B4135C2
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #1605
nachtflug
infidel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...QQcmdZViewItem