Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #196
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,911
Hey Gordy, Cousin Weedy's got yur CZ right here.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #197
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
and in fairness to the 125 this applied to the 250 only, as the 75-125 was still the same. I think...

This was very typical of Honda. They spent and lost lots of money on the innovations of 73/74. They then had to try to get some return on investment. Problem was, everyone else was scrambling to catch up and many did so in a leap frog manner.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #198
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Cz

There was a shop in Port Chester(pa,ny?), that in 74 was building custom 4130 framed CZs. Exact same size/geomtery but much thinner/lighter tubing. They turned down the hubs, yamaha front brake, drilled and lightened everywhere all pastics etc. They had them down to about 185lbs dry. I got to ride one once, awesome.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #199
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
What do they call this tank? It's the most beautiful one I've seen yet - way too nice to be on a bike that's going to get thrown on the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack

1966 - right side shift.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #200
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
Hey Gordy, Cousin Weedy's got yur CZ right here.

If I can quit spending $$ on the house and have two nickels left to rub together this summer, I will have a 250 CZ. A rider. Not a looker like that pos original cherry Husky that I picked up.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #201
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy

If I can quit spending $$ on the house and have two nickels left to rub together this summer, I will have a 250 CZ. A rider. Not a looker like that pos original cherry Husky that I picked up.

Do ya keep it in your bedroom like TeamDennis?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #202
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvy
Do ya keep it in your bedroom like TeamDennis?
Damn close.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #203
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Well, had to dig a bit, but found these pictures of the Suzuki RH67. This was a very limited production MX bike. Preston Petty rode one for a period of time. I had a frame and some random parts for one of these. I searched for all the rest of the parts, but they were real hard to find. The frame weighed a ton!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #204
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Hey Valley,

That's a Flug approved photo. You spun the bike around to remain on the sunny side. Nice.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #205
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
Hey Valley,

That's a Flug approved photo. You spun the bike around to remain on the sunny side. Nice.
Wish I could take credit for the photography, but I found these on the web some time ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #206
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
There was a shop in Port Chester(pa,ny?), that in 74 was building custom 4130 framed CZs. Exact same size/geomtery but much thinner/lighter tubing. They turned down the hubs, yamaha front brake, drilled and lightened everywhere all pastics etc. They had them down to about 185lbs dry. I got to ride one once, awesome.
Check out this light weight CZ:

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #207
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider
Well, had to dig a bit, but found these pictures of the Suzuki RH67. This was a very limited production MX bike. Preston Petty rode one for a period of time. I had a frame and some random parts for one of these. I searched for all the rest of the parts, but they were real hard to find. The frame weighed a ton!!

Very nice VR. Heres some RH photos I scrounged.

RH66

RH67

RH68

RH68

RH 68

RH69

RH70

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

onanysunday screwed with this post 01-30-2008 at 06:45 PM
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #208
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

This is another interesting Suzuki. It is the only Suzuki produced by Mr Tilken that utilized the cantilever rear suspension. It is the same system as the CZ used earlier (also produced by Tilkens.) The CZ was tested by DeCoster who ran better laptimes than on his lightweight Works Suzuki. When it came time to pitch the bike to Suzuki DeCoster vouched for it but Tilkens couldn't prove mathematically that it was any better, so it was quasehd. This bike was tested by DeCoster and Goebers but it never went into production. Anyway this is the only known photo to exist, enjoy.

The rider is Guy Tilkens, son of Lucien Tilkens, photo taken in 1971

P.S. if you want more works Suzuki (I've also got some Honda stuff) photos just holler! Cheers Amigos.

onanysunday screwed with this post 01-30-2008 at 07:06 PM
Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #209
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
I also keep hearing a lot of mentions here and elsewhere about the Maico. But it also sounds like they broke down a lot. So Iím curious - did they perform so well for their time that everyone put up with the unreliability?
I don't think they broke down more than anything else. like Hunky said if you rode one if was almost like cheating. though I can't say that from personal experience. I did see lots of them being raced and they definitely left an impression as the bike of choice for the rider that was more into riding well than doing crazy crossups. they stuck like glue and you could just see the difference in how they worked compared to other bikes.

which is why a lot of privateer pro's rode them.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #210
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,744
I worked for a Maico dealer and I donít know why the Maico-Breako name seemed to stick. Many of the outsourced components were the same as other Euro bikes used Bing carbs, Bosh electrical, Mahle pistons. I ported a fair share of them the castings were rather crude. I seem to remember that one of the most common engine failures were cranks/bottom end bearings. The gearboxes were strong. The worst thing about Maicos were the ungodly stiff clutches which used Belville washers; a stack of alternating cupped washers used as a spring. You have to remember that it wasnít uncommon for most of the bikes back then to break down on occasion. Maicos were rather expensive and didnít have that great of a dealership network. The mighty 501 was one of the greatest bikes of all time.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote