Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #2641
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80 View Post
Another great shot from Endurofest

If any of you vintage dual sport guys are interested, come join in on the fun! All vintage bikes welcome! We have had Bultacos, Suzukis, Hondas Huskies! Get em out and ride'em!

No fees, (Other than normal park entry) Just fun!

Evening screenings of Little Faus and Big Halsey, and other classics!
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #2642
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Is that a mouth guard from a football helmet?
So what are you laughing at? It was very common in desert racing back in the 70" BEFORE full face helmets were available. Here is the great JN Roberts sporting his football helmet mouth guard.

Top Trailbike racers in the 70 Mitch Mayes & Tommy Brooks:

Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #2643
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
JN was also one of the first to wear football shoulder pads under his sweatshirt.

Motorcycle specific ATGATT wasn't available back then...

BTW - love that pic of Tommy Brooks (since I rode an DKW back then, he was a big hero of mine)
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #2644
jub jub
Banned

Oddometer: 13,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
So what are you laughing at? It was very common in desert racing back in the 70" BEFORE full face helmets were available. Here is the great JN Roberts sporting his football helmet mouth guard.

Top Trailbike racers in the 70 Mitch Mayes & Tommy Brooks:

Chill dude. I just think it's rather comical the way we use to protect our selves back then. Kind of like leather football helmets, funny if you think about it.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #2645
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
but even friends with those early CRs couldn't even keep up with TMs by the mid 70s, and that was Suzuki's trail bike.
TM's were trail bikes? who knew...

you might want to recheck that fact skorpio. when the early CR's came out they filled the starting lines for a reason. they were better than most of the competition which is why suzuki developed the RM to replace the TM's that were getting spanked by CR's.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #2646
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
[SIZE=3]
stunning shot. the rider. the truck. whatever that is on the windshield. and of all things a CZ leaned up agains the tree at a woods run??? too cool. love it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #2647
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
And what District 37 club jumper is he wearing? And for bonus points what bike was Mitch Mayes riding?
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #2648
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Just came across this link. More here: http://sasquatchvintageracing.smugmug.com/Other
speedy!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #2649
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
This fiberglass air box came with a group of parts I bought from an old dirt bike dealer in 2007 and I have never been able to match it up with a bike. I would Give it to someone who owns the bike it fits, and would love to know what it came off of.
Rickman?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #2650
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Rickman?
I've looked at a million Rickman pics and they all have separate left and right side covers.
The fiberglass is red all the way through though. I've seen a pic of a Cotton that comes the closest to having a one piece air box number plate assembly, but have never seen the exact same setup.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #2651
skorpioskorpio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
TM's were trail bikes? who knew...

you might want to recheck that fact skorpio. when the early CR's came out they filled the starting lines for a reason. they were better than most of the competition which is why suzuki developed the RM to replace the TM's that were getting spanked by CR's.
If you walked into a Suzuki dealership in 1975 when they were selling RMs and TMs side by side and asked what the difference was they would say the RM is more of a race bike and the TM is more of a trail bike.

In 73 when the CR came out it was a hot bike and suddenly made the other Japanese manufactures bikes look like they were from some prior age... and 3 years later the Suzukis and Yamahas made those CRs look like they were from another age, 3 years after that the competition to out do each other every year was pretty much constant. There is a reason why there were more aftermarket performance parts available for CRs in the mid 70s then for any other brand, they needed them to stay competitive with the RMs and YZs.

And I'll say again, I was always a Honda fan, and like most Honda guys always felt like Yamahas and Suzukis were cheesy bikes back then. When your first bike in the early 70s is an XR75 and your freinds first bike is a GT80 it's not hard to have that opinion, these 2 bikes are not even similar in build quality and Suzuki was a step below the Yamahas. To think that a manufacture that made bikes a few years before that were greasy with premix leaking everywhere, fouled plugs at an alarming rate and had shocks that seemed more decorative than functional could make a bike to compete with your Honda seemed insulting, but those RMs and YZs flew and there was a couple years there when the CRs just couldn't keep up, new for new. What did save the Hondas was the better build quality, slap some DG and Fox parts on to make it more competitive, even if not truely competitive, and it'll win more often just because it will break less parts. This was my experience from back then anyway.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #2652
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
If you walked into a Suzuki dealership in 1975 when they were selling RMs and TMs side by side and asked what the difference was they would say the RM is more of a race bike and the TM is more of a trail bike.
I'm not %100 sure the TM/RM overlapped and I don't think they did but I could be wrong.

what did they say in 1974, 73, 72, and 71?

was this sold as a trail bike?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #2653
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
There is a reason why there were more aftermarket performance parts available for CRs in the mid 70s then for any other brand,
and the reason was there was a huge market because they sold so well!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #2654
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Chill dude. I just think it's rather comical the way we use to protect our selves back then. Kind of like leather football helmets, funny if you think about it.
Sorry, just don't see the humor. I had the same set up on my helmet until I was one of the first (and few) to wear a Bell Star in the dez.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #2655
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
And what District 37 club jumper is he wearing? And for bonus points what bike was Mitch Mayes riding?
Mitch was with the Antelope Ramblers MC prior to being a Charger. In early 1969 he rode a Kawi and then switched to Hodaka before joining the factory HD team, later he was on the factory Husky team.

Here is a pic of Mitch and AC Bakken in the impound area the day before winning the Baja 500

This was right after my little sister married AC.