Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #2716
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
is it just me or was motorcycle gear much more cool back in the day before GIANT company logos and what not ?

I find my self just wearing plain white long sleeve cotton shirts and or my striped rugby jersey if I am out vintage racing

like this one

Before giant company logos??

They've always had them as far as I can remember

But I think Wardy & JMB shown here was some of the worst for logo saturation.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #2717
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember that picture from Dirt Bike magazine from back in the day.
They used to sell calendars and it seems like that was one of the pics they used.
I still have some of those in my attic.

Any info about that one, Strong Bad?

Great pics, btw.

Indeed it did come out of a calendar and was titled "Checker on a Husky" I came across it about 5 or 6 years ago. The rider Mike Mulconery was one of my best friends at the time the pic was taken. The bike is a 400cc 4 speed Husky. He had a strong desire to become a member of the Checkers MC, which was a very exclusive club at the time. Before you became a member you had to be ranked as an expert level rider and wear the Checkers vest that had a large question mark on the back which showed you to be a "prospective" Checker. He's wearing the question mark in this pic. Not only did Mike prove his qualifications to be a member, he went on in later years to be the president of the club. Sadly he passed away before I found this pic. RIP "Gnarly" Mike you are missed.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #2718
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,118
Thanks for verifying what I remembered.

It's funny...I can't remember what I did last week but stuff like that stays with me forever.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #2719
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
Speaking of old Dirt Bike stuff. Does anyone have a copy of 'On the Cover the Dirt Bike Mag'. Dirt Bikes Spoof 45 rpm record of 'On the Cover of The Rolling Stone'. I can't remember if we all had a copy of that or if you had to order it?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2720
DeadmanRidin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
your recent posts for the lasy couple of days have brought back alot of memories. I wonder how many times we lined up together. I was twenty rows behind you at Elsinore. In case you didn't know it, it was Mulconery who started pulling down the fence that helped clear out the mud hole. I have the same picture from the Four Aces GP, slightly different angle, the photographer was Brian Klock, his girlfriend at the time went to high school with me and Mike. Your name seems familiar, as does your helmet, but the only Turtles I remember are Tim Okamoto and Dean Daly. Ring any bells. Oh, by the way, I painted the helmet Mikes wearing, if you look close the white ckecks are stick on tabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

Indeed it did come out of a calendar and was titled "Checker on a Husky" I came across it about 5 or 6 years ago. The rider Mike Mulconery was one of my best friends at the time the pic was taken. The bike is a 400cc 4 speed Husky. He had a strong desire to become a member of the Checkers MC, which was a very exclusive club at the time. Before you became a member you had to be ranked as an expert level rider and wear the Checkers vest that had a large question mark on the back which showed you to be a "prospective" Checker. He's wearing the question mark in this pic. Not only did Mike prove his qualifications to be a member, he went on in later years to be the president of the club. Sadly he passed away before I found this pic. RIP "Gnarly" Mike you are missed.
DeadmanRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #2721
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanRidin View Post
your recent posts for the lasy couple of days have brought back alot of memories. I wonder how many times we lined up together. I was twenty rows behind you at Elsinore. In case you didn't know it, it was Mulconery who started pulling down the fence that helped clear out the mud hole. I have the same picture from the Four Aces GP, slightly different angle, the photographer was Brian Klock, his girlfriend at the time went to high school with me and Mike. Your name seems familiar, as does your helmet, but the only Turtles I remember are Tim Okamoto and Dean Daly. Ring any bells. Oh, by the way, I painted the helmet Mikes wearing, if you look close the white ckecks are stick on tabs.
I used to ride out to the dez with Tim, who called himself "Super Jap". Dean & I used to battle for 1st Overall Novice then Ammie. He had moved up from Hodaka to a 250cc Ossa he bought from the trailbike hero Jack Morgan. Dean was fast as hell, but was also crazy as hell. He would come flying by me sideways through the air, swapping ends. I would pass him back in a couple of miles as he would be picking himself up in a rock pile he crashed into. Even with Curnutt shocks that Ossa handled like shit in the dez.

Here's a start line pic with me (107) in the Precision Cycles yellow jersey on the 4 speed 4000 Husky. Dean is in the green helmet with his Ossa (39x) laying on the ground. Dean's little bro Jacky is on the Hodaka between the 2 of us. The guy in the yellow on the Bully is Steve Nutter (Speedway's Sonny Nutter's cuz), and finally the guy just behind Dean's back in the silver helmet on the Bully is Tim Okamoto.

We must have partied around the camp fire together with Mike. He used to come out in his VW van with his little bro. We did a lot of partying Saturday night before the races back then. Did you ever get in the card games at the Turtle's camp with Tim, Dean, & Mike Caudillo, in Caudillo's van? Are you a Checker or Viewfinder?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #2722
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
is it just me or was motorcycle gear much more cool back in the day before GIANT company logos and what not ?

I find my self just wearing plain white long sleeve cotton shirts and or my striped rugby jersey if I am out vintage racing

like this one

I had a shirt just like that. I worked at a M/C dealer on the parts counter and one Saturday a co-worker wore his rugby shirt that was identical,the same morning as I did. The first customer through the door says, "who are you guys, the yellow jacket brothers?" I went right to the display case and bought a Maico T-shirt and put it on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #2723
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
It's cool seeing all the desert racing stuff over the last few days.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #2724
DeadmanRidin
Adventurer

The VW Van Was Mine! I was a year ahead of Mike, we met in 68 while I was starting high school and he was finishing jr high! We were the dirt bike stoner clique. I was at Indain Dunes when Tim broke his neck at the Viewfinders GP on the International course, he showed up at my graduation party at Mikes house wearing his Halo! Thanks for the picture, that doesn't look D37, or is it? Mike, and I had to take Steve Nutter out to Indian dunes once in the middle of the night for some strange reason I can't remmember, we had to disasmble the fence gate to get in. I met dean after my second ride after jumping up to 250 class, I followed him to the bomb, He was second and I was third. Watching him on the Ossa was scarrier than my own ride, I snapped a dry throttle cable a while later and didn't see him again until after the finish. Never played cards with you guys, I was with the Desert Knights! I read all your posts, thanks for the memories !
Quote:
I used to ride out to the dez with Tim, who called himself "Super Jap". Dean & I used to battle for 1st Overall Novice then Ammie. He had moved up from Hodaka to a 250cc Ossa he bought from the trailbike hero Jack Morgan. Dean was fast as hell, but was also crazy as hell. He would come flying by me sideways through the air, swapping ends. I would pass him back in a couple of miles as he would be picking himself up in a rock pile he crashed into. Even with Curnutt shocks that Ossa handled like shit in the dez.

Here's a start line pic with me (107) in the Precision Cycles yellow jersey on the 4 speed 4000 Husky. Dean is in the green helmet with his Ossa (39x) laying on the ground. Dean's little bro Jacky is on the Hodaka between the 2 of us. The guy in the yellow on the Bully is Steve Nutter (Speedway's Sonny Nutter's cuz), and finally the guy just behind Dean's back in the silver helmet on the Bully is Tim Okamoto.

We must have partied around the camp fire together with Mike. He used to come out in his VW van with his little bro. We did a lot of partying Saturday night before the races back then. Did you ever get in the card games at the Turtle's camp with Tim, Dean, & Mike Caudillo, in Caudillo's van? Are you a Checker or Viewfinder?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #2725
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally was able to take some pictures of some early monocoque frame design Curnutts were messing with in the late 60's early 70's. Husky power plants. The frame was filled with gas for longer desert races. You can see the fuel pump on the lower part of the frame by the front engine mounts. That's about all I know on them. I can't deliberate on why they never went any farther.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2726
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

This will bring back some memories for some of you. This is what I am doing as one of my hobbies right now. I am rebuilding and restoring Curnutts for whomever needs them done. I just did a couple of sets for "Rokon" Mike Murphy for his factory Rokon's. He is a cool guy.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #2727
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanRidin View Post
The VW Van Was Mine! I was a year ahead of Mike, we met in 68 while I was starting high school and he was finishing jr high! We were the dirt bike stoner clique. I was at Indain Dunes when Tim broke his neck at the Viewfinders GP on the International course, he showed up at my graduation party at Mikes house wearing his Halo! Thanks for the picture, that doesn't look D37, or is it? Mike, and I had to take Steve Nutter out to Indian dunes once in the middle of the night for some strange reason I can't remmember, we had to disasmble the fence gate to get in. I met dean after my second ride after jumping up to 250 class, I followed him to the bomb, He was second and I was third. Watching him on the Ossa was scarrier than my own ride, I snapped a dry throttle cable a while later and didn't see him again until after the finish. Never played cards with you guys, I was with the Desert Knights! I read all your posts, thanks for the memories !
Hmmmmmm. Dez Knights...There was a guy in the DK I raced hard with in the 125cc class, Gary Davies I think was his name, good races good guy. DK always had the BEST trophies, of the only 5 or 6 that I've kept over the years, 2 of them are DK radio trophies.

I was one of the guys who got to wear the team "Hot Dog" jerseys after Mike got a bunch of them from the TV show 'Hot Dog", did you get one? I wish I still had some of those old jerseys.

Here is one of the last I have from that time it was Dirt Digger's GP at Hopetown/Corriganville:

Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #2728
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
I finally was able to take some pictures of some early monocoque frame design Curnutts were messing with in the late 60's early 70's. Husky power plants. The frame was filled with gas for longer desert races. You can see the fuel pump on the lower part of the frame by the front engine mounts. That's about all I know on them. I can't deliberate on why they never went any farther.

I remember seeing something like those hanging in the rafters of Charlie Jr.'s shop WFO Industries down in Long Beach (in the back of Roger Sanderson's "Pipeworks") shop. He also played with some monocoque bicycles. I raced sailboats with Charlie Jr. and helped him when he was doing race prep/tuning for Jim Temple & Rolff Tiblin.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #2729
DeadmanRidin
Adventurer

Ok, now your making me think! Gary Davies is who introduced me to Mike. Gary and I were in the same grade and we all went to the same jr high and high school, El Camino Real In Woodland Hills, he also got me into the knights. Gary's Uncle ran International Motorcycle shop in Canoga Park, That how he ended up on the 125 with you after dropping hodaka, my hodaka came from there as well. We all jumped after the HD baja revolution, only after I test rode the baja, I decided to jump to the 250 class on a Husqvarna out of Mission Hills Husky, Bobby Ewing's
shop. If you don't know who Bobby Ewing is, Bobby Ewing jr. is the one who throws off his persciption glasses and passes the guy right back guy from On Any Sunday. Bobby Ewing is also who nominated Mike into the Checkers! Gary, Mike and I went on a ski trip to mammoth in 72 along with 3 other guys, that first night, Gary and Mike got into a tussel over who was going to sleep where. The next morning Gary stayed behind and after we all headed out to the slopes, he spilt leaving a guy behind. I never saw him again. My last ride as a Knight was B to V 1971, after that Mike would ride out with me and we would camp with the Checkers. Anyone could pit with the Checkers if you paid them, you just took second fiddle to any checker who might be pitting at the same time! My Hot Dog jersey ended up a rag 30+ years ago. I'll try and post some pic'c as soon as I can dig them out! Oh yeah, we called Steve Nutter "Baby Nutter", He hated that!
Quote:
Hmmmmmm. Dez Knights...There was a guy in the DK I raced hard with in the 125cc class, Gary Davies I think was his name, good races good guy. DK always had the BEST trophies, of the only 5 or 6 that I've kept over the years, 2 of them are DK radio trophies.

I was one of the guys who got to wear the team "Hot Dog" jerseys after Mike got a bunch of them from the TV show 'Hot Dog", did you get one? I wish I still had some of those old jerseys.

Here is one of the last I have from that time it was Dirt Digger's GP at Hopetown/Corriganville:

Old 09-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #2730
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
In my opinion the riding gear today has far too much logo ID for the brand of the jersey or pants,in essence free advertising. Back in the day you most likely wore a solid color jersey with the logo of your bike, not the manufacturer. Many wore Hallman leathers without the name all over the pant leg. You knew by the design and the small black patch on the rear waistband. Designs today are busy and over powering and lack style and clean design. All just my opinion.
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote