Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 AM   #301
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
a little history lesson. at 2:28 while gary jones is describing his brother dewayne, you see a #7 yellow yamaha. looking at the wheels there is a lot of white on the rims, inner side opposite of the tire.

when everyone first started running the "trick" shouldered akront rims, the trickest factory guys ran foam all the way around the inside of the rim which prevented mud building up in the shoulder of the rim as they were prone to do.

Except they don't preven the mud!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #302
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Yep - he still shows up at Vintage Days at Mid Ohio pretty much every summer. And he races.
A real nice guy as I recall too. He helped out when my dad restored a 1959 Catalina Gold Star many years ago.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #303
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,739
The pic of Gary and David Bailey reminds me that most people forgot about Daivd's older brother; Bob. Bob Bailey besides being a Grand National Champion contender aboard a BSA in road racing as well as flattrack and TT, also had a aftermarket pipe business. One of Bob's most famous moments was when he paid out the claiming fee and claimed the Factoy "Works" BSA Rocket 3 at Daytona. Bob complained that BSA wouldn't supply him with the parts the factory guys had so he claimed the bike Barry Sheene (?) rode. Bob now rents trailers used for dressing rooms to the studios when on location.

I had the pleasure of being a that Daytona race as a shop bitch for Ernie Pico who was the tuner for team Norton Villiers for riders Jody Niclolas and Shorty Seaborne. It was the last effort for an American Norton team as well as the first race for the 3 Cylander Suzuki. Ernie's claim to fame, besides Nortons, was 500cc Vilocette mile bikes that kicked HD butts. God I wish I had just one of those bikes now!!
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #304
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 575
Thumb

Quote:
amen to that. you haven't lived till you saw him wheelie a complete track. how he did it god only knows. one of his bikes is in the hall of fame exhibit at ama HQ. he died hang gliding...
Remembering something from Cycle World long ago: Before Domokos really became famous he showed up one day at the Cycle World offices and told them he was the "Wheelie King." They took him outside, pointed to a Kawasaki 1300/6cyl and said "Wheelie that." He got on, rode up the parking lot, swung it around, popped up the front wheel to the balance point and wheelied out of the parking lot and down the street. The guys at CW wrote "He's not the Wheelie King, he's the Wheelie Emporer."

People named "Doug" are often incredibly talented riders.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #305
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
The pic of Gary and David Bailey reminds me that most people forgot about Daivd's older brother; Bob. Bob Bailey besides being a Grand National Champion contender aboard a BSA in road racing as well as flattrack and TT, also had a aftermarket pipe business. One of Bob's most famous moments was when he paid out the claiming fee and claimed the Factoy "Works" BSA Rocket 3 at Daytona. Bob complained that BSA wouldn't supply him with the parts the factory guys had so he claimed the bike Barry Sheene (?) rode. Bob now rents trailers used for dressing rooms to the studios when on location.

I had the pleasure of being a that Daytona race as a shop bitch for Ernie Pico who was the tuner for team Norton Villiers for riders Jody Niclolas and Shorty Seaborne. It was the last effort for an American Norton team as well as the first race for the 3 Cylander Suzuki. Ernie's claim to fame, besides Nortons, was 500cc Vilocette mile bikes that kicked HD butts. God I wish I had just one of those bikes now!!
I've never heard of Bob.Now I know.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #306
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
amen to that. you haven't lived till you saw him wheelie a complete track. how he did it god only knows. one of his bikes is in the hall of fame exhibit at ama HQ. he died hang gliding...
Looks like they have a memorial site for him.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #307
marcopolo27
The Tiny Ship was Tossed!

Oddometer: 160
I have to think one of those Bultaco's back there would be Zhart. I never seem to hear his name come up with any of the vintage things that come around. atgatt is over rated. its supposed to hurt. zhart was definitely one of those long hair and a helmet, what else do you need guys.

You're right: I hadn't thought about Kenny Zhart in ages -saw him at a mid-70s Daytona Supercross- and when I looked him up on Google there was practically nothing. Thanks for the memory jog!
marcopolo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #308
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,739
Last I heard of Kenny Zhart was that he had a small shop in the Canyon Country/Valencia area of Southern California.

Many of us old school racers had long hair like my buddy Mike Mulconery:

Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #309
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster
In the course of Doug's 20 year career he has wheelied "HIGH" atop the Empire State Building, wheelied up and down San Francisco's Lombard Street, dubbed "The Crookedest Street in the World," and even passed the Georgia State motorcycle drivers license test on one wheel. He also appeared on the TV show "That's Incredible" and appeared in the movies, On Any Sunday II, Cannonball Run, Mega Force and Mathew Star. Doug was interviewed on many Syndicated Talk Shows and local TV News promos in cities wherever he was performing.

Doug got his start at local, national and Super-X motocross races, riding around the rough track on one wheel without dropping the front wheel to the ground. He has displayed his talent at events ranging from the Madison Square Garden Events, Monster Truck shows, Trade Shows, Tractor and Heavy Equipment Pulls, Ice Skating Rinks, Stunt Shows, Dealer Promotions and Children's Hospital visits to nationally televised professional football games and The Love ride. Doug has appeared in England, France, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Malaysia and many other countries around the world.

In 1985 Doug accomplished a wheelie on a three wheeled ATV with eight passengers on board and a few months later he wheelied a four wheeled ATV with six passengers. These record performances were photographed with Associated Press news releases sent around the world. In 1986, Doug wheeled 11 passengers on board his ATV. This was published in the National Inquirer. Many American and foreign motorcycle magazines featured him on cover stories.

One of Doug's most notable accomplishments was setting the world record for the longest wheelie in 1984 going an amazing 145 miles. For ten years Doug's long distance wheelie record was published in The Guinness Book of World Records, where he had a two page spread. In 1992 a Japanese trials bike rider broke the record going 206 miles.

300 MILES YOU SAY. Yes that's right, in the summer of 1999 The Wheelie King planned to reclaim the long distance wheelie record by riding an AWESOME 300 MILES on the rear wheel of his 1999 Buell motorcycle. Doug was not able to complete his dream of recapturing the wheelie record on an American built motorcycle.

In October 2002, Doug was inducted into the The Motorcycle Hall of Fame as "The Wheelie King,' best known stunt motorcyclist in the 1980s and 1990s."
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #310
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster
Thanks for the link!
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #311
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
1960s British Invitational Motocross Race

Classic Scrambles footage here....
Quality is a little marginal but the racing is good.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27763529&hl=en

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #312
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
Classic Scrambles footage here....
Quality is a little marginal but the racing is good.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27763529&hl=en
Somebody posted that a while back...so good that I saved it on my computer.
If you haven't seen it, you must. Featuring the above mentioned Jeff Smith among others.
What a great race!
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #313
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Somebody posted that a while back...so good that I saved it on my computer.
If you haven't seen it, you must. Featuring the above mentioned Jeff Smith among others.
What a great race!
Jeff Smith is a great guy, he was the main player behind the development of Can Am!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #314
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Last I heard of Kenny Zhart was that he had a small shop in the Canyon Country/Valencia area of Southern California.

Many of us old school racers had long hair like my buddy Mike Mulconery:

Is he a Checker
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #315
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,479
Quote:
I.... and even passed the Georgia State motorcycle drivers license test on one wheel.

nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote