Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #722
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey
Holy cow Batman!

What is a Thurmoflo?
the yz's defined the term "trick" and you could buy it right off the dealers floor.

the rear shocks had cooling reservoirs like todays piggy back ohlins. very trick in 1973.

I think thats what it is..

its been awhile.

that bike is now over 10K

serious coin. definitely a beneficiary of ebays power to entice but like
I've said before the strap tank yz's are real keepers. good luck finding one.

and as always. condition condition condition. even with aftermarket shocks this bike is over 10K but the shocks are one of the few things you could mess with and still have an "original" bike.

this yz is primo.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #723
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Holy cow Batman!

What is a Thurmoflo?
You are correct, Flug.
I think they were actually called "thermoflo".
Here's a picture of them from the parts fiche:

Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #724
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Any idea what came of this one?

It's fun to go back and reread what I've read earlier. It makes more sense now and I better appreciate what I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug

If you are looking at this listing, you probably already know what this is and how incredibly rare a sight it is. If you've never even heard of one before, read on.
Indeed one of the rarest "production" motocross bikes ever made (estimates range at around total factory produced AND customer "kit" bikes of no more than 120 or so combined worldwide--all years).
Brainchild of Allen Greenwood of La Jolla, CA based Knobby Shop International, these bikes were intended to compete with the best 2-stroke motocrossers the world could provide. Unlike the ultra-rare CCM's and HL500 Yamaha's, these even rarer KSI's utilized the utmost in advanced cantilever frame technology, dual Fox-Air rear suspension, full Simons front suspension, and true factory works-style lightweight components to produce (arguably) the lightest, trickest, and most technologically advanced 4-stroke motocrosser you could buy, at any price.
Please look at all the close up photos for a very rare glimpse of cutting-edge suspension and frame technology that was WAY ahead of it's time. The plated, custom exhaust has an integral silencer that exits onto the ground in front of the rear wheel (but does little to silence the exhaust). Dual Fox-Air's angle upward and cooling fins protrude from behind custom aluminum side panels. Fabricated from Reynolds 531 chromoly by Thumper Frames of England, custom aluminum tank, seat, yellow Preston Petty MX fenders, Sun-Line shorty dogleg levers & perches, gray anodized titanium handlebars, "timken" tapered roller steering head bearings, all trademarks of the amazing KSI Thumper that retailed for over $3500 (NOT including the engine). Remember, a new Maico AW440 could be had for around $1500, so this was 'astronomically' priced trickery back then. Finished bike weighed in at a feather-light 228 lbs. Handling was considered second to none with amazing straight line stability and excellent cornering ability. Reports from the day said the "earth moved" when these 'obscenely loud' bikes fired up.
You could buy a completed bike from Knobby Shop, or buy the kit (much like Hallman HL500's) and construct your own bike if you preferred. If you wanted the trickest 4-stroke known to man (and your name wasn't Clews or Hallman), this was the bike to buy.
Magazine tests from the day confirmed that these 228 lb. KSI bikes were lighter than either the CCM or HL500 Yamahas. In fact they were the lightest 4-stroke MX'er you could get. Handling that was better than it's competitors, Marty Moats (God rest him) made these bikes famous as he literrally smoked everyone aboard his "works" Powroll 450 KSI.
The previous owner of this bike claims that this is one of the rare Powroll equipped 450 racers, but I have NO WAY of verifying this without taking top-end of motor apart, and I am not going to do that. Compression is quite 'considerable', and it just may be one. But, please buy it as a 350 bike, and if it in fact turns out to be a 450, just consider it a bonus. The Honda XL350 motor in this frame has NO serial numbers on it. It's just blank where the numbers should be on the cases. Steering head of frame has "R W" "Made In England" with "MK 2", and serial number "X 12". This bike seems "unique" as from what I can tell, all archive photos of the Mark 2 framed bikes came with the '78 FIM style side panels that extended rearward. This bike has the later MK2 frame, but it has the "earlier" side panels. Does "X" stand for "experimental'? Possibly this may have been one of the "factory" racers that the previous owner claims it to be. Unverifyable, but quite interesting to say the least....

ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #725
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Any idea what came of this one?

It's fun to go back and reread what I've read earlier. It makes more sense now and I better appreciate what I'm looking at.
as I recall it sold in the $22K range. as well it should in that condition.

IMO.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #726
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Disc brakes were greeted with some skepticisim on the Rokons, but they had the last laugh.
Seriously? Rokon was the first to use disc brakes? That's one homely bike for sure - is it related to the Rukus by chance?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #727
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

This one is interesting too - same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #728
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Rokon

It wasn't only Trailbreakers. I remember somebody had one in the mid hudson area.
besides the disc brakes, they had automatic trans. Not really a trans, it was more like a snowmobile torque converter.
Here is one in DP trim.
[IMG][/IMG]
R100RS (for sale)
XR650L
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #729
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Rokon race bike

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #730
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
[IMG][/IMG]

I only knew Rokons for their unique tire choice. Anything special about their motors?

I second that "really, rokon was the first to use disc brakes?"
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #731
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I only knew Rokons for their unique tire choice. Anything special about their motors?

I second that "really, rokon was the first to use disc brakes?"
Just your basic Sachs 2 stroke snowmobile engine.

Unless somebody knows of a dirt bike with discs prior to 73.

BTW, it was a guy named Harris that had one, "factory ride", he was from Flugs neighborhood, Windsor. i remember him bringing it to Mt. Cathalia (ellenville), I think.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #732
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
Just your basic Sachs 2 stroke snowmobile engine.

Unless somebody knows of a dirt bike with discs prior to 73.

BTW, it was a guy named Harris that had one, "factory ride", he was from Flugs neighborhood, Windsor. i remember him bringing it to Mt. Cathalia (ellenville), I think.
bob harris but I don't think windsor NY was by me I think he was western ny?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #733
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,890
New Windsor?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #734
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
New Windsor?
I know where new windsor is you damn hippie I live there.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #735
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Wrong side of the mountain

Quote:
bob harris but I don't think windsor NY was by me I think he was western ny?
Windsor was (is) a wide spot on 17 just east of Binghamton. Which makes some sense of my recollection of seeing it in Ellenville or Liberty.
Sometimes I get messed up on the Windsors, we used to go to the Windsor diner, which probably isn't near any windsor.