Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #751
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Having only sat on one, and not ridden it, I can still safely say the WP suspension is pretty damn incredible. I bet it would be an absolute MONSTER bike, especially the 250.

Hey- off topic but Does anybody know anybody who would rebuild the forks and rear shock on this? I bet those are worth some small change in good working order.
Ya I haven't spent much time on the 250, it was really rough when I got it. Its got pretty good power, but the 500 MX they made in 1989 was an absolute rocket ship. It really was 500cc and would tear your fucken arms off if you wanted it to! It literally thre boulders! Not a bike you wanted to ride behind.

As far as the suspension, the forks probably aren't a big deal. The shock however is a royal pain in the ass. I had a 1986 80MX when I was a kid. Blew the rear shock out. The old man took it apart, its been a while, but I know the seal can't be removed without some REALLY special tooling. My father would have made the tool if you could, he tried everything. I remember someone was rebuilding them but they wanted about $300 and the bike was only worth $4-500. So I rode it for a while then sold it. My buddy bought it and paid to get the shock fixed, then, like a cheap fuck, I mooched it for a couple months! It was a really fast 80, it snapped. When I first got it I had no idea how to ride it and thought it was a toad, the first time I got on the powerband it scared the shit out of me, being 8 years old and growing up on Suzuki RV 90s!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #752
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
it just never ends...

HONDA CR250M Elsinore 1974 Vintage Motocross AHRMA
Vehicle Description

You are bidding on a BRAND new 1974 Honda CR250M
Five bucks says the Elsinore brings more than the YZ250.

Edit? YZ360, not 250 dummy.

ChopSuey screwed with this post 04-06-2008 at 07:09 AM
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #753
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey

Don't be so sure, those YZ's can pull pretty good money.

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #754
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
Don't be so sure, those YZ's can pull pretty good money.
I've been watching both auctions and the CR has been steadily increasing. The YZ was up over $10,000.00, but someone must have retracted a bid. We'll see...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #755
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Kawasaki 238 Green Streak Scrambler (F21M) Not sure what year - produced from 1967 - 1971. Anyone have one of these?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #756
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Kawasaki 238 Green Streak Scrambler (F21M) Not sure what year - produced from 1967 - 1971. Anyone have one of these?

My friend Steve had one and fitted it up with knobbies and rode it in desert and mx races and in the '71 Elsinore GP. In the scene in "On Any Sunday" where Malcom Smith swerves through a hole in the fence to go around the mud big hole, Steve made that hole in the fence on the first lap when he got to the jammed up mud hole and the easiest way around was to knock down the fence. Steve was an interesting guy, race pro for awhile in the 60s, taught me how to go downhill fast on a mx track, and also what it feels like to have someone pour a cold beer down the back of your leathers on a hot day.

I took a spin his 238 once. My only recollection was that it had little torque and lots of top end in the usual Kaw fashion. I believe it was designed as a TT and flat track bike so that's not so surprising.

Doug
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #757
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,411
Just saw this pop up on Phoenix craigslist:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/629641421.html

"obo" looks like a good deal.

PM me if you want me to pick it up
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #758
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...QQcmdZViewItem

It's not over yet though.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #759
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
My friend Steve had one and fitted it up with knobbies and rode it in desert and mx races and in the '71 Elsinore GP. In the scene in "On Any Sunday" where Malcom Smith swerves through a hole in the fence to go around the mud big hole, Steve made that hole in the fence on the first lap when he got to the jammed up mud hole and the easiest way around was to knock down the fence. Steve was an interesting guy, race pro for awhile in the 60s, taught me how to go downhill fast on a mx track, and also what it feels like to have someone pour a cold beer down the back of your leathers on a hot day.

I took a spin his 238 once. My only recollection was that it had little torque and lots of top end in the usual Kaw fashion. I believe it was designed as a TT and flat track bike so that's not so surprising.

Doug
Great story! Which "Steve" would that be?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #760
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,291
Quote:
:It's not over yet though.
very cool situation with 2 very comparable bikes in VERY good condition, with the edge in condition going to the CR.

but I'll take you up on the bet. I think due to the Yamaha being a 360 it will get crazy at the end. thanks for linking them both it'll make it easy to check on.

the race is on..

as hot as the YZ's were the Elsinores really blew the lid off things with the price difference. they were just all over the place.

too bad they never made a open class bike.

we had a track called Cairo in...Cairo NY. town still there, track long gone. I remember approx 1974 when the tracks were filled with silver tank elsinores this guy coming up this really big hill/jump. he nose dived it and landed in a heap. just as we was starting to get up another elsinore came up over the crest and did the same big slow motion endo right into the back of the guy who was just getting up.

really strange.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #761
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanysunday
I had a 1986 80MX when I was a kid.
I've got some very good news for you.

you're still a kid.

buy all the HPQ stock you can.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #762
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
February 1974 - when I picked mine up at Walt Lobb Honda, Philipsburg PA
(sorry for re posting the pic)

walt lobb honda.

gee the alternative names they must have had for him...

still in business?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #763
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:

maybe one of the most under appreciated bikes. those green kawasakis that preceded the KX's were pretty advanced compared to the other jap offerings at that time.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #764
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #765
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
very cool situation with 2 very comparable bikes in VERY good condition, with the edge in condition going to the CR.

but I'll take you up on the bet.
Cool! I'll send you my mailing address when the auctions close.