Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #796
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey
Well poop. The auction for the Elsinore ended early. He probably got an offer he couldn't refuse, but I still loose, dammit.
****** I am sorry to say I will end this auction due to some professional Elsinore Restorers that have informed me that some of the parts on this bike are not new from the factory! Items I was not aware of. I do not feel comfortable selling this bike until the parts are replaced with the correct parts. I have already started the process of getting them here. I will replace them and relist ASAP.

I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience. Keep your eyes open for future listing.

Dave
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #797
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick
My favorite Bul behind the Metralla.
Is the one with the 991x plate yours or one you used to own? They are pretty nice looking bikes, different lines.
ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #798
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Thanks oas! So is that it for different looking cylinder heads? The porcupine is pretty bizzare looking for sure. What was the purpose of designs like this? Air flow? Slicing someone's leg off?

And just out of curiosity, how did you know that the bike I posted was a 74.5 GP 400 Maico? Do you have them all memorized? Do you have books or links with all models? And I still have a hard time believing that you're only 18!!
Thats basically it for the different head styles, except no fins at all! The porcupine was mainly for looks, a couple Works CZ's came with them, then Rocket Rex Staten had his CZ done, from there the trend was set. I don't think it improved cooling, it decreased surface area so I would guess it doesn't provide any benefits.

As for how I knew that Maico, I'm a man of many mysterys...
I actually have a 1973 400 and some experiance working on GP's, I am kind of a Maico guy and that era is my favorite. I do actually have them memorized though, parts and all. When you spend enough time working on them its not difficult. I used to watch my father tear down cars and restore them and think "how can he possibly remember where the parts go!?" but now that I do it myself its not bad. Vintage bikes have been really good to me, since the market has taken off I can buy and sell some to make a little cash to fund projects I want to do, I couldn't restore these bikes on an hourly wage alone, its just to costly. Its the downside to the market taking off, parts I need are way more expensive!

And yes I am 18, I know its hard to believe...

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

onanysunday screwed with this post 04-06-2008 at 04:41 PM
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #799
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,465
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #800
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c
'68 is the first year of the Japanese Dirt Bike (non high pipe scrambler) invasion. The '68 is the first year DT-1. It is a collector for sure and they ain't making anymore of 'em. Keep it and ride it on occasion
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...t-1/index.html

Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #801
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 574
Thumb

Quote:
Goodness, how I lusted after those when they came out!

At this point a clean, unmolested DT-1 is better than money in the bank!

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #802
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,731
Why is it that every DT-1, AT-1, and Ct-1 (and those models that followed) I see for sale all have the tank badges missing??
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #803
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Why is it that every DT-1, AT-1, and Ct-1 (and those models that followed) I see for sale all have the tank badges missing??

They cloud/haze up BAD. I had a source in Del Rio that used to be a Yamaha shop (Del Rio Honda) that had all kinds of goodies left over, tanks, tachs, spokes, rubber stuff, pistons (back when dealers used to stock parts). He had, among other things some of the old badges NOS. I sold a bunch of them for him for decent coin. One pair that I sold for a 100 twin-jet I got $450 for to some guy in Norway. I sold several for the 650's too for ~ $100/ea. I have seen the red badges for the DT-1 go for about $600. IIRC Speed and Sport Yamaha in PA (yamatopdog) are making repops for a hell of a lot less than that, but they ain't NOS
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #804
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I've got a Husky brouchure, its basically an 8x10 printed on heavy stock paper, it shows a Husky CR 500, 81? the one before the one like Gaspipes's white tanker.

Anyway...the bike is surrounded by oriental type guys (have to keep it PC here) ..ok they were japs! with camera's taking pictures of it.

Pretty cool shot I'll have to dig it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonridn
that bike was considered an 82 1/2 model. nicknamed the " Silver Bullet" for the beautiful silver paint job. the last of the polished knee panels style tanks. the first ones came with a giant 44mm mikuni carb. the white 83 models went to a 40mm. it was only available as a cr version with a 4 speed transmission.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #805
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

This thing is fugly, and it's got too many wheels!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #806
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
Missile Simon Wyse (?) Husky/ PBR

[quote=ChopSuey]

I loved early 80s open class but I am so over the Maico thing after I had a hard to start 81 (my bad knees too) a few years back pre the "boom" in 81s. Then here you go with this very tidy Swedish Husky.....
I am hoping someone turns up pics of (If my memory is right) Simon Wyse's Husky 500 aircooled four stroke that he campaigned in the mid nineties Haynes British 4 stroke championship. Nice custom alloy tank and he used to do quite well on it. Based on an 87 (?) and well tuned.

Also there was a device called a PBR (Anyone have pics?) with a Cannondale (Leitner) designed rear end and Rotax engine. Interesting looking and focused on eliminating chain lash. THing had a red frame. Also interesting that the remains of Cannondale ends up with ATK but this PBR bitsa (Bitsa this bitsa that) had some of the same DNA 15 years before.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #807
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Funny you should mention that. Mine is totally stock and complete... except for missing tank badges.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #808
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
That is a good link Strong Bad, thanks! I had a couple of emails back and forth with Rick Sieman after I finished reading Monkey Butt in in response to my question about further reading, he suggested trying to get ahold of old copies of dirt bike magazines. He was right, there's a treasure trove of information and some of it can be found online. Those old magazines sure do go for a pretty penny though.
Makes me sick that I threw away all my old DB mags back in the early 80's. I had a huge boxs full of dog eared, and abused Dirt Bikes, many with the covers missing from being read so many times Probably 4 years worth.

I do still have my PRISTINE Vol #1 Issue #1 Dirt Bike Magazine, given to me by the Hunk hisself, neatly stashed. Maybe I'll take a picture of it and let you all gaze upon it's radiant glory
Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #809
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackett
Funny you should mention that. Mine is totally stock and complete... except for missing tank badges.

In stock at $150/ea at speed and sport

Repops ~$50/pair on fleabay YMMV
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #810
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
Makes me sick that I threw away all my old DB mags back in the early 80's. I had a huge boxs full of dog eared, and abused Dirt Bikes, many with the covers missing from being read so many times Probably 4 years worth.

I do still have my PRISTINE Vol #1 Issue #1 Dirt Bike Magazine, given to me by the Hunk hisself, neatly stashed. Maybe I'll take a picture of it and let you all gaze upon it's radiant glory
Sick, I am currently on the scrounge for VMX #1. I can honestly say that is the best motorcycle mag around. Fo' sho...

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote