Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #901
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSuey
Well, since you've mentioned v-twin, were there any twin cylinder true dirt bikes produced in the 70's and 80's? Any triples? Got pictures? Some of the older bikes in 60's that were more street bikes converted to off road bikes may have been twins, and some of the scramblers like the Honda CL450 were twins, but not coming up with much for true dirt bikes that were twins.

xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #902
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Well, since you've mentioned v-twin, were there any twin cylinder true dirt bikes produced in the 70's and 80's?

Twins?
Yankee Z 500 comes to mind.

"The concept for the engine had been designed by Eduardo Giró of the OSSA factory in Barcelona, Spain. The engine was actually a joining of two single-cylinder, 2 cycle, air-cooled engines into one torquey twin with a common crankshaft and cases. Although the engine was designed primarily for the roadrace courses of Europe, Eduardo wanted this engine to offer versatility for both road and dirt use. The engine could be made to fire with both pistons together, as a large single cylinder engine would and, with a relatively easy method, be made to fire with each piston taking its turn at the top of the stroke, as most twin-cylinder engines of the time did. Originally, it began with the OSSA 230 cc. engine cylinders, pistons, and crankshafts, but by the time the motorcycles were actually produced, the OSSA became a 250 cc, and therefore, the Yankee became a full 500 cc twin."

Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #903
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404

ChopSuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #904
Sal Paradise
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Wish the 1981 RM125 that I got in 1998 was in this good of shape!

I had that very bike when I was a kid. The rear shock was blown out so it was a real buckboard. It was a real piece of shit, I had a 79 RM 100 at the time that had twin shocks and was aircooled. The 100 was twice as good a bike as the 125. I eventually sold the 125 due to the crank seals leaking water!

Brings back memories even for me, I rode it off a cliff once almost knocked out my teeth on the handlebars (I was wearing a full face helmet)!

Raoul Duke: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Sal Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #905
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat
always loved following this guys whereabouts...

Okay, I give up, who is this guy??
Old 04-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #906
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,131
Malcolm Smith
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #907
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 623
Thumb

Quote:
Well, since you've mentioned v-twin, were there any twin cylinder true dirt bikes produced in the 70's and 80's? Any triples? Got pictures? Some of the older bikes in 60's that were more street bikes converted to off road bikes may have been twins, and some of the scramblers like the Honda CL450 were twins, but not coming up with much for true dirt bikes that were twins.
Husky 500cc Twin. Three built.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261813

Stretching the point a bit: For Kenny Roberts and Jay Springsteen Yamaha put together some flat track bikes based on the Yamaha TZ750/4 2-stroke road racing engines in the '70s. The bikes got banned after a handful of races. Besides, Kenny is quoted as saying "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing!" Saw the bikes and some demo laps with Springsteen on board at the Del Mar Mile several years ago. Talk about an animal bike.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #908
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
Husky 500cc Twin. Three built.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261813

Stretching the point a bit: For Kenny Roberts and Jay Springsteen Yamaha put together some flat track bikes based on the Yamaha TZ750/4 2-stroke road racing engines in the '70s. The bikes got banned after a handful of races. Besides, Kenny is quoted as saying "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing!" Saw the bikes and some demo laps with Springsteen on board at the Del Mar Mile several years ago. Talk about an animal bike.

Doug

Kel Caruthers was one of the best builders/tuners of the day. He's one of the largest factors in King Kenny's domination of the sport.
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #909
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c
Kel Caruthers was one of the best builders/tuners of the day. He's one of the largest factors in King Kenny's domination of the sport.
True dat.

I got to see the TZ750 run at the San Jose Mile. It was just fucking awesome. The sound alone was enough to give me goose bumps. Friggn mega tire spin with the grooved road race tires, it would hook up and the front end would raise up and the bike would kinda torque over a bit. KR would then fly by everyone and he would then do everything he could to shut it down and set up for the turn, hang on for dear life throught the middle of the turn and then light it up for the next straight.

I was at Del Mar when the bike was last ridden, but for some reason the bike ran like crap and it couldn't really show its potential.

But the sound, the sound, I'll never forget the sound. It was the greatest thing I've ever seen and heard, ever.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #910
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr

Saw the bikes and some demo laps with Springsteen on board at the Del Mar Mile several years ago. Talk about an animal bike.

Doug
I was there also. That was something to see! I know it sounds stupid, but when the bike was on display in the pits, I asked them if I could touch it They said yes
Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #911
OldTimeBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Jay Springsteen never rode the Yamaha TZ 750 flat track bike in a race. The bike was built for Kenny Roberts in 1975 in a desparate attempt to put a bike on the mile tracks that would have the power to beat the dominant XR 750 Harley, and retain the championship for Roberts. Springer ( Jay Springsteen ) was on the Harley team, and was one of the riders ( Corky Keener being the other) that Roberts caught and passed riding the TZ at the Indy mile to win the event. After the event, the famous quote from Roberts was uttered..."They don't pay me enough to ride that thing". A few others were built, I remember Rick Hocking had one in a privateer effort, but by the start of the 1976 racing season, flat track bikes were limited to 2 cylinders.

Speaking of big bore twin cylinder dirt bikes...The XR 750 Harley Davidson has been in production since 1971...AND is the winningest racing motorcycle in the history of motorcycle racing!
OldTimeBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #912
dan-c
Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker
Jay Springsteen never rode the Yamaha TZ 750 flat track bike in a race. The bike was built for Kenny Roberts in 1975 in a desparate attempt to put a bike on the mile tracks that would have the power to beat the dominant XR 750 Harley, and retain the championship for Roberts. Springer ( Jay Springsteen ) was on the Harley team, and was one of the riders ( Corky Keener being the other) that Roberts caught and passed riding the TZ at the Indy mile to win the event. After the event, the famous quote from Roberts was uttered..."They don't pay me enough to ride that thing". A few others were built, I remember Rick Hocking had one in a privateer effort, but by the start of the 1976 racing season, flat track bikes were limited to 2 cylinders.

Speaking of big bore twin cylinder dirt bikes...The XR 750 Harley Davidson has been in production since 1971...AND is the winningest racing motorcycle in the history of motorcycle racing!
Who are you OTB Got some stories to share?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #913
OldTimeBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I'm just a middle age lifelong motorcycle guy, ex - pro flat tracker and occasional AHRMA dirt racer (MX, Cross country,trials) and an avid road & dirt rider.
I've been a bit of a lurker here for a brief while and got registered with the help of friends and check the site out every day or so. I saw the discussion on this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I have stories..and I enjoy sharing, so I'll be sharing some soon. Thanks for asking.

OldTimeBiker screwed with this post 04-17-2008 at 09:37 AM
OldTimeBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #914
ChopSuey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm just a middle age lifelong motorcycle guy, ex also ran pro flat tracker and occasional AHRMA dirt racer (MX, Cross country,trials) and an avid road & dirt rider.
I've been a bit of a lurker here for a brief while and got registered with the help of friends and check the site out every day or so. I saw the discussion on this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I have stories..and I enjoy sharing, so I'll be sharing some soon. Thanks for asking.
You've come to the right place! Looking forward to hearing your stories.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #915
dan-c
Back

Quote:
I'm just a middle age lifelong motorcycle guy, ex also ran pro flat tracker and occasional AHRMA dirt racer (MX, Cross country,trials) and an avid road & dirt rider.
Can't wait.